Advice on upgrading my cold smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HushyQ

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2023
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks to everyone's help on SMFl I am now an addict, lol. I am happy with my results on the Treager with pellet tubes for cold smoking but during warmer temperatures especially it is a bit inconsistent in temp and smoke so I am looking for an easy way to upgrade my game. I am looking into one of the "residential/commercial type" smokers like Smokin Tex 1400 and Smoking It model 2 in hopes I can get a more consistent, "lazy mans" product. I don't possess the skills or desire to do any of the MES mailbox mods and the like and it seems for not that much more dough I can get a well insulated box that goes as low at 100 which interests me greatly.
You all are the best source of info out there so my question is: Anyone use a Smoking It #2 or Smokin Tex? Will it really maintain 100 degrees for cold smoking sausages even in summer? Worth the money? Thanks!!!

I do not have experience with those smokers but I do know cold smoking is difficult when it is warm out. You best bet will be using dust in a tray with no other heat source at night when temps are 50-60ish.

When it is 100 degrees outside and your smoker is black and in the sun...it is impossible. You can try a hot smoked bacon in the summer. Or give the above night smoke a shot. Where I'm at it is mostly hot smoke in the summer unless we get a rainy cold spell or lower night time temps.

I'm confused... 100 degrees is not considered cold smoking... Cold smoking is with no heat and the colder the better.. Down to 40 degrees ...

I'm assuming you mean warm smoking (100-175) for making smoked sausage ...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I'm confused... 100 degrees is not considered cold smoking... Cold smoking is with no heat and the colder the better.. Down to 40 degrees ...

I'm assuming you mean warm smoking (100-175) for making smoked sausage ...
Yes, sorry. So far the best results I've had with sausage was smoking between 70 and 100 for 5 hours before refrigerating overnight and restarting the next day and raising the temp to 175 and finishing. A tip from SmokinEdge. Again, I am a rookie so my casings are never exactly to my liking and I think maybe I should finish a bit higher to see if that gets me a little more tender casing.
The Smokin It site says temp range from zero to 250 so I thought that might be something that benefitted my sausage.

Cold smoking is in a range from 32-80F no higher and some countries insist on not going above 70F.

Do your smoking at night when warmer temperatures come. The temps are good and humidity comes up which is good also.

A tip from SmokinEdge. Again, I am a rookie so my casings are never exactly to my liking and I think maybe I should finish a bit higher to see if that gets me a little more tender casing.
Finish your final IT in hot water. That makes the best casing snap and bite through for me.

Reactions: HushyQ
Finish your final IT in hot water. That makes the best casing snap and bite through for me.
Sorry, I'm confused on that. Are you saying hot water instead of ice bath after 150 degrees or are you saying after my 5 hrs of smoke to put back on the grill in hot water and raise the temp rather than just placing the links back on the grill grates or hanging?

Sorry, I'm confused on that. Are you saying hot water instead of ice bath after 150 degrees or are you saying after my 5 hrs of smoke to put back on the grill in hot water and raise the temp rather than just placing the links back on the grill grates or hanging?
You cold smoke sausage. I warm smoke sausage, so there is a difference there, but neither of us smoke with enough heat to finish with a good final IT.

To finish my IT on sausage I use either my SV stick or lately I’m just heating water in a large pot to 170F then the sausage goes in. I maintain that 160-170F water temp until sausages have an IT of 145F (if all pork) 151-152F if beef and 160-ish if poultry or venison. Then into ice bath (ice isn’t necessary just cold water) until IT is about 100F then Pat dry and hang to bloom 1-2 hours.

Clear as mud?

Btw, I smoke 130-140F in the smoker for 3-5 hours until I have nice color. Then I poach finish for final IT.

Last edited:
Reactions: HushyQ
Thanks to everyone's help on SMFl I am now an addict, lol. I am happy with my results on the Treager with pellet tubes for cold smoking but during warmer temperatures especially it is a bit inconsistent in temp and smoke so I am looking for an easy way to upgrade my game. I am looking into one of the "residential/commercial type" smokers like Smokin Tex 1400 and Smoking It model 2 in hopes I can get a more consistent, "lazy mans" product. I don't possess the skills or desire to do any of the MES mailbox mods and the like and it seems for not that much more dough I can get a well insulated box that goes as low at 100 which interests me greatly.
You all are the best source of info out there so my question is: Anyone use a Smoking It #2 or Smokin Tex? Will it really maintain 100 degrees for cold smoking sausages even in summer? Worth the money? Thanks!!!
MES has a cold smoke attachment box that feeds into the wood hopper on the side. I use it exclusively for everything, including cold smoking cheese. Fill it, turn it on ond it goes for a lot longer than the built in chip feeder. Bought it on Amazon for about $50 and it's made by MES.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky