Smoking on a Weber Compact vs Classic/Premium/MT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kuchendieb

Original poster
Feb 19, 2024
So I recently moved from Germany across the Atlantic, to Brazil. I had to give my grills, smoker, Ooni and other BBQ equipment to my brother and parents as there was no way to take it with me.
Now after half a year of only having Brazilian BBQ (Churrasco) I am growing a little bit tired of only having direct heat charcoal BBQ all the time and want to get into low & slow and smoking again. I am reeaaaally craving some PP, Brisket or Ribs.
My plan was to buy a Weber because I think it is probably the most versatile (had a Master Touch back at home), enables me to make Pizza, smoked meat, direct and indirect regular BBQ.... nearly everything I'd say. But my space is very limited here right now, so I would prefer not to buy an offset smoker plus a regular grill.
BUT: Prices of any Western/US BBQ equipment here are astronomical, mostly due to high import tax.
235$ for a Weber Compact 22"
415$ for a Weber Classic
750$ for a Premium and
1400$ for the Master Touch (more like Master Ouch)
Yeah f*ck me. The Compact for 235 is still a major rip-off, but I would be willing to buy it if it somewhat enables me to do the kind of smoking that I could usually do on the regular deeper Weber kettles. Otherwise if people would tell me the Classic is MUCH better for smoking.... I guess 400+$ for that would be what I would have to buy.
The cheaper alternatives would be some cheap no-name 18" Kettle for 50$ or a cheap 22" Kettle for 100$.

So: Can I get decent results smoking on a Weber compact? The small space in the "charcoal" area and the short distance to the meat worries me a bit. But with some small modifications (mainly some heat deflector?) I guess it should work?
I have also seen quite a few posts of people here that use the Compacts for smoking, but I am mostly curious if the results are comparable to the regular Webers. My guess is that it is fine, but I'm probably just looking for some verification before I spend 235$ for a super overpricd grill.
I am on top of that also curious if there are people here that smoke on the smaller 18" Compact, so I'd be happy for any answers whatsoever.

Reactions: JLeonard
I believe a compact is a shallow 18" kettle. You can smoke on it, and I believe the snake method would probably give you the best results as far as temp control and available space.

Chris

Reactions: Kuchendieb
So I recently moved from Germany across the Atlantic, to Brazil. I had to give my grills, smoker, Ooni and other BBQ equipment to my brother and parents as there was no way to take it with me.
Now after half a year of only having Brazilian BBQ (Churrasco) I am growing a little bit tired of only having direct heat charcoal BBQ all the time and want to get into low & slow and smoking again. I am reeaaaally craving some PP, Brisket or Ribs.
My plan was to buy a Weber because I think it is probably the most versatile (had a Master Touch back at home), enables me to make Pizza, smoked meat, direct and indirect regular BBQ.... nearly everything I'd say. But my space is very limited here right now, so I would prefer not to buy an offset smoker plus a regular grill.
BUT: Prices of any Western/US BBQ equipment here are astronomical, mostly due to high import tax.
235$ for a Weber Compact 22"
415$ for a Weber Classic
750$ for a Premium and
1400$ for the Master Touch (more like Master Ouch)
Yeah f*ck me. The Compact for 235 is still a major rip-off, but I would be willing to buy it if it somewhat enables me to do the kind of smoking that I could usually do on the regular deeper Weber kettles. Otherwise if people would tell me the Classic is MUCH better for smoking.... I guess 400+$ for that would be what I would have to buy.
The cheaper alternatives would be some cheap no-name 18" Kettle for 50$ or a cheap 22" Kettle for 100$.

So: Can I get decent results smoking on a Weber compact? The small space in the "charcoal" area and the short distance to the meat worries me a bit. But with some small modifications (mainly some heat deflector?) I guess it should work?
I have also seen quite a few posts of people here that use the Compacts for smoking, but I am mostly curious if the results are comparable to the regular Webers. My guess is that it is fine, but I'm probably just looking for some verification before I spend 235$ for a super overpricd grill.
I am on top of that also curious if there are people here that smoke on the smaller 18" Compact, so I'd be happy for any answers whatsoever.
How long to plan on living in Brazil? Can you post a link or pic of the cheap knock offs? it might get you through if you are not there long term.

Welcome from Florida USA.

I periodically smoke on a Weber Jumbo Joe with an 18 inch grate. Requires a small smoke tube filled with pellets. It doesn't more than 1.5 kg and only enough charcoal area for maybe 3 hours. I finish it in a covered foil pan in the oven.
I'll look for my photos and post later tonight.

How long to plan on living in Brazil? Can you post a link or pic of the cheap knock offs? it might get you through if you are not there long term.
Well, I'm in my late 20s, so I am hoping to live here for another... uh, 70 years or so haha, just not sure if I will move to a different place here in the near future where I'll have some backyard space.
And as for "cheap" knockoffs there are a few options: for example that 22" one here for 90$, that kind of looks like it has a bit better build quality, but a fairly big space between the charcoal and the meat grate. Should not be a problem for just smoking, but for regular BBQ I guess it would just mean having to use more charcoal. Although I could just put a larger grate for the charcoal in there IF it actually is a problem to get it higher. I could also just message them first to get the exact measurements. https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-4373968236-churrasqueira-a-bafo-amc-movel-com-2-grelhas-_JM?attributes=COLOR_SECONDARY_COLOR:UHJldG8=&quantity=1

(better footage of it in this weird video commercial)
I might be misjudging from the pics, but yeah.... also kinda seems like the lid is not that high, although that looks similar on a Weber Compact. (maybe a problem when smoking something higher like standing ribs),
18": https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-4040351052-churrasqueira-monza-18-grelha-americana-movel-brinde-_JM?attributes=COLOR_SECONDARY_COLOR:UHJldG8=&quantity=1
22": https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/chu...cking_id=ff7a50e0-42f4-43b5-b005-25bf8bd37c75

Last edited:
Welcome from Florida USA.

I periodically smoke on a Weber Jumbo Joe with an 18 inch grate. Requires a small smoke tube filled with pellets. It doesn't more than 1.5 kg and only enough charcoal area for maybe 3 hours. I finish it in a covered foil pan in the oven.
That sounds kinda promising. I stumbled on these also when searching for people who smoke on the compact and at least to me it seems like the Jumbo Joe has more or less the same measurements? At least from pics I would guess that it looks very similar. The 22" compact would probably suit my needs then.
(I can't buy the Jumbo Joe here though, only the smaller portable one that is 14" or so and that would definitely be too small)

Welcome from Mississippi! Look forward to seeing what you decide and showing us how a German transplant to Brazil does BBQ!

Jim

Well, I'm in my late 20s, so I am hoping to live here for another... uh, 70 years or so haha, just not sure if I will move to a different place here in the near future where I'll have some backyard space.
And as for "cheap" knockoffs there are a few options: for example that 22" one here for 90$, that kind of looks like it has a bit better build quality, but a fairly big space between the charcoal and the meat grate. Should not be a problem for just smoking, but for regular BBQ I guess it would just mean having to use more charcoal. Although I could just put a larger grate for the charcoal in there IF it actually is a problem to get it higher. I could also just message them first to get the exact measurements. https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-4373968236-churrasqueira-a-bafo-amc-movel-com-2-grelhas-_JM?attributes=COLOR_SECONDARY_COLOR:UHJldG8=&quantity=1

(better footage of it in this weird video commercial)
I might be misjudging from the pics, but yeah.... also kinda seems like the lid is not that high, although that looks similar on a Weber Compact. (maybe a problem when smoking something higher like standing ribs),
18": https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-4040351052-churrasqueira-monza-18-grelha-americana-movel-brinde-_JM?attributes=COLOR_SECONDARY_COLOR:UHJldG8=&quantity=1
22": https://www.mercadolivre.com.br/chu...cking_id=ff7a50e0-42f4-43b5-b005-25bf8bd37c75

So I ended up writing a few questions to the manufacturer of that one in the video regarding their construction materials and the measurements. I like it because it's relatively deep and not as flat as the Weber Compact (on top of being only 40% of the price)
Answers: "1) Distance between grills - 18 cm
2) Cover height - 13 cm (Space of +- 14 cm, with the cover closed)
3) Grill undergoes galvanising treatment
4) The barbecue is made from EP PLATE, with electrostatic painting"

18cm between the grates is quite big compared to 12.7cm on a regular Weber Kettle, but this could be easily fixed. 14cm space under the lid vs 20cm on the regular Weber.... I could probably live with that, and if not could also be modified a bit, maybe.
Buuuuuuut: "galvanised" - the metal is zinc coated before being painted. What are your opinions on that? I have never read too much into it, but so far avoided any zinc parts that get hot in any way. I remember reading some post somewhere last year though that people generally overreact about this.
Opinions?
I guess this one is not an option anymore though.

Last edited:
Yeah between the galvanizing and the paint I wouldn't be using it.

joe-1.png
I use lump charcoal and just start a few pieces, then put unlit on top. Need to add more pieces now as needed.
tray-2.png
I made some stand offs to lift the meat and get more smoke under as well as keep it above the rendered fats
oven-1.png
After finishing in the oven

Yeah between the galvanizing and the paint I wouldn't be using it.

View attachment 689253
I use lump charcoal and just start a few pieces, then put unlit on top. Need to add more pieces now as needed.
View attachment 689254
I made some stand offs to lift the meat and get more smoke under as well as keep it above the rendered fats
View attachment 689255
After finishing in the oven
I actually ended up ordering the one from my last comment. I was looking at many other kettles and kind of "bootleg" Smokey Mountains for the last 2 weeks. Found some "cheapish" enamel (just like Weber) kettles, but none of them really looked all too great in terms of build quality and measurements.
I then sent another message to the producer of the galvanized one and it turned out that only the grate is galvanized. I asked if they could offer a chromeplated or stainless steel grate and sure enough, he can weld a stainless steel one for an extra 20$. After negotiating a bit with them, I ended up buying that Kettle for 100$ shipped including the stainless steel grate.
And also it is powder coated, not painted.

Stupid me should have at least brought my Inkbird with me when I moved here.... so the first thing to do after the grill arrived and I also bought a thermometer will probably be smoking some Brazilian Cupim. It's a very bulky and fatty cut of meat, with good marbling, but a bit too tough for steak, although people here eat it as steak. I'm expecting that it will turn out somewhat like a smaller Brisket. Will post some pics here of the process.
Also I have never smoked on my Weber with regular charcoal and I can't find briquettes here. So it'll be be an adventure for me.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky