Masterbuilt Slow & Cold Smoke Generator Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Since I cannot find a non galvanized mail box (except for the expensive cast aluminum ones) I am thinking of purchasing the Slow & Cold Smoker Accessory Attachment made by Masterbuilt for my MES 30" smoker. OR, another brand that would work better.

To those of you who have one and experience with them can you share your likes and dislikes?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I have had one for a long time , maybe 8 years? I love it. I read on here a few years ago a method I've been using since then. I used to leave it on for the duration of the cook time and refill the wood chute when needed. I read someone would leave it on for an hour or so to get the chips smoking. Then turn it off and the chips will continue to smoke for an additional hour or longer. Refilling the chips as you go. This helped keep that stale odor of ash out of the food, since you're basically burning fresh chips moreso than ash. So I leave it on an hour, off about 2 hours and repeat. The other thing I do is only fill the wood chute halfway. Filling it all the way doesn't let it breath enough and is doesn't seem to burn as well or not at all. Finally, someone recommended a dimmer switch, similar to one used for a router? It makes the Smoke Generator variable so you can increase or reduce the amount of smoke depending on your need.
Occasionally I use small wood chunks, 1" or smaller along with the chips. They smell better and last a little longer.

Reactions: jcam222
Walk around your neighborhood with a magnet in your hand. You'd be surprised how many neighbors are still using the old aluminum mailboxes. Once found make your neighbor an offer to replace it with a new painted galvanized one.

Walk around your neighborhood with a magnet in your hand. You'd be surprised how many neighbors are still using the old aluminum mailboxes. Once found make your neighbor an offer to replace it with a new painted galvanized one.
I would, except there are no rural style mailboxes in my neighborhood.

If your chips are not completely dry, it will drip yucky black water from condensation forming on the inside. I use a stainless 1/4 sheet pan to put under it, and will try drying my chips before smoking next time. I guess a disposable pan would work just as well. You will need to scrape out the chip tube after a smoke or two or the residue will keep the chips from sliding down to the heater. Otherwise, works great and can easily be remoted for less heat in the chamber with a 3" aluminum expanding vent tube and 3" aluminum vent elbow which fits into the chamber where the chip tube went. Oh, plus a couple of hose clamps.

If your chips are not completely dry, it will drip yucky black water from condensation forming on the inside. I use a stainless 1/4 sheet pan to put under it, and will try drying my chips before smoking next time. I guess a disposable pan would work just as well. You will need to scrape out the chip tube after a smoke or two or the residue will keep the chips from sliding down to the heater. Otherwise, works great and can easily be remoted for less heat in the chamber with a 3" aluminum expanding vent tube and 3" aluminum vent elbow which fits into the chamber where the chip tube went. Oh, plus a couple of hose clamps.
Thanks D dsk ,

That's two votes for the plus column.

John

I'm not a metallurgist but is a galvanized coated mailbox really going to be dangerous when used for cold smoking? It is not supposed to become toxic and give off fumes until it reaches almost 400*. Cold smoking with a tube or maze shouldn't come close to those temps.

Chris

I'm not a metallurgist but is a galvanized coated mailbox really going to be dangerous when used for cold smoking? It is not supposed to become toxic and give off fumes until it reaches almost 400*. Cold smoking with a tube or maze shouldn't come close to those temps.

Chris
I really don't know Chris but I like to lean toward caution. That's just me I guess.

John

Reactions: gmc2003
It is not supposed to become toxic and give off fumes until it reaches almost 400*.
That's correct .

Has anyone ever used a Weber Smokey Joe mini grill as a smoke generator for their MES?
I've thought about it for years now . Then I thought about making a insert with a tap on it for my 14" WSM to use in place of the side door . Still might do that someday , but I've since started burning wood chunks for higher temp cooks . I have a pastrami in mine now . Set to 225 , it started burning the chunk at 180 .

I use a tube and mailbox for sausage / hams .

Old picture .
20201017_111227.jpg
Burns clean .
20201017_133659.jpg

That's correct .

I've thought about it for years now . Then I thought about making a insert with a tap on it for my 14" WSM to use in place of the side door . Still might do that someday , but I've since started burning wood chunks for higher temp cooks . I have a pastrami in mine now . Set to 225 , it started burning the chunk at 180 .

I use a tube and mailbox for sausage / hams .

Old picture .
View attachment 689434
Burns clean .
View attachment 689435
So you just placed a tray over the heating element with wood chunks and voila, steady smoke for the duration of the cook?

John

Has anyone ever used a Weber Smokey Joe mini grill as a smoke generator for their MES?

I have been throwing that idea around as well.

John
I saw a picture of that very thing somewhere a couple years back. They used a piece of flexible metal tubing attached through the lid of the Smokey Joe then to the MES. Bottom or side I don’t remember.

So you just placed a tray over the heating element with wood chunks and voila, steady smoke for the duration of the cook?
That's the original chip tray .
My Auber is adjusted / fine tuned to hold a steady blinking light . So in theory it's constant heat at the element . So I'm thinking that helps .

Also the size an amount plays into it . Add a third chunk , and it doesn't burn . To big doesn't work either .

I add them when starting the smoker , so that constant heat from reaching temp starts the burn .
Adding after temp is reached doesn't work as well , but gives a slower burn and longer start .

This is what's left from yesterday's pastrami cook @225 . This was a tennis ball sized chunk of mesquite . Nice clean smoke .
20240224_094822.jpg

Reactions: MJB05615
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky