Hello from New Mexico

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

OldValues

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 31, 2024
I'm a mostly retired guy in NM. I still consult a bit.

I've been grilling for about 50 years, and smoking food for about 40 years using Weber charcoal and lump and propane, cold smoking and for the past decade or so, a SmokinTex 1400. There seem to be plenty of techniques to use on the different equipment to get desired results.AS I am a big fan of good bourbon, I favor using it in a lot of bastes, sauces and a wonderful Sorghum Barbecue sauce. Springtime NM is a windy place and cooking on a grill is sometimes a little sketchy. Several years ago, after getting some disappointing results and very slow cooking out of the SmokinTex, I modified the smoker and installed a PID contoller. No complaints now. I'm also a big fan of ThermoWorks Signals to monitor smoking and grilling progress.

Other hobbies include woodworking and firearms shooting and light gunsmithing. I have a couple of collectable vintage cars that need some love, but I can't seem to get to them with a significant honey-do list.

Adios from NM,

Reactions: JLinza and Redicans
Welcome from Southcentral PA! Where in NM? I have a buddy who lives near Los Alamos (actually White Rock), I know at times he can't grill outside when it gets ultra dry like it normally can. Welcome to the forum!

Howdy neighbor. I'm in Rio Rancho, NM.
Welcome to the community.
Not sure what part of NM you live in, but it's always windy here, not just springtime. Hahaha

Welcome from Southcentral PA! Where in NM? I have a buddy who lives near Los Alamos (actually White Rock), I know at times he can't grill outside when it gets ultra dry like it normally can. Welcome to the forum!
Thanks. I'm in Placitas, north of Albuquerque. I retired from Los Alamos National Lab in 2017, 39 years to the day after I started on the left coast at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. I know White Rock and Los Alamos well and have lots of friends still there. When I was on assignment in DC we used to go antiquing in eastern PA. I have a highschool friend who is in Hopewell and my wife's aunt lives in Chester (Philly suburb).

Reactions: ceeaton
Howdy neighbor. I'm in Rio Rancho, NM.
Welcome to the community.
Not sure what part of NM you live in, but it's always windy here, not just springtime. Hahaha
Thanks. We're in Placitas across the river and a little higher in elevation. Today is no exception for wind... Maybe some more precipitation tomorrow.

Thanks. I'm in Placitas, north of Albuquerque. I retired from Los Alamos National Lab in 2017, 39 years to the day after I started on the left coast at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. I know White Rock and Los Alamos well and have lots of friends still there. When I was on assignment in DC we used to go antiquing in eastern PA. I have a highschool friend who is in Hopewell and my wife's aunt lives in Chester (Philly suburb).
My buddy's name is Michael, he just retired from the lab a couple of years ago. He loves golf and winemaking, maybe you know him? He's enjoying his retirement like you seem to be!

FYI, my Dad grew up in Philly (Chestnut street).

Thanks. We're in Placitas across the river and a little higher in elevation. Today is no exception for wind... Maybe some more precipitation tomorrow.
Yup. I know where you are at.
Nice area. We looked at houses up there once. Couldn't find one to suit us.

Welcome from almost always windy Iowa! Except on some of the really hot and humid days when you can't buy a breeze!

Ryan

Yup. I know where you are at.
Nice area. We looked at houses up there once. Couldn't find one to suit us.
We've been here 30+ years now. It's never ending to make it your own. A few years back, I looked around and told my wife of 41+ years, I'll move out of this house in a bag, feet first... We've accumulated too much "stuff".

We've been here 30+ years now. It's never ending to make it your own. A few years back, I looked around and told my wife of 41+ years, I'll move out of this house in a bag, feet first... We've accumulated too much "stuff".
I've made that same comment! Except we live on a farm... we've accumulated a few things as well!

Ryan

Welcome from almost always windy Iowa! Except on some of the really hot and humid days when you can't buy a breeze!

Ryan
Ryan,

Half a dozen folks I've worked with at Sandia Nat'l Lab and Los Alamos and the Air Force hail from Iowa. One good friend retired out of Omaha a decade ago and relocated here. It seems very few voluntarily relocate to Iowa.

Cheers,

Reactions: Brokenhandle
My buddy's name is Michael, he just retired from the lab a couple of years ago. He loves golf and winemaking, maybe you know him? He's enjoying his retirement like you seem to be!

FYI, my Dad grew up in Philly (Chestnut street).
Well, there are some ~14,000 folks on the hill now. I know plenty of Michaels & Mikes from my working days.

Cheers,

Reactions: ceeaton
Welcome from Hawaii!!
Aloha,

I've been to Hawaii 10 times, all in military aircraft KC-135s and DC-130s back and forth to Vietnam. My longest visit was about 4 hours... I don't think that qualifies me as a tourist.

Cheers,

Welcome, from Colorado. Definitely know all to well about that wind up here. Lol. Great to have ya in the group.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky