Prime Tri Tip - Smoked/Seared with Surfing Companions Dressed in Chimichurri & Mango Salsa!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
Work has been a little taxing but finally completed a couple large projects and did a little celebration (in truth I was having issues "not" working over the weekend...it seemed odd....).... So the wife suggested some prime tri tips, so she grabbed a 2 pack from Costco for the weekend. I didn't get many progress pics, but it got smoked in the RT 1250 at 180 for an hour to get a hint of smoke. It was seasoned up with Kinders the blend......

Just finished smoking INT 100 and onto the Weber for some searing......
IMG_8351.jpeg

I have gravitated to not using the sear zone on the weber for TTs because they seem to do better with a bit slower sear.....

INT @ 135, time to pull......
IMG_8352.jpeg

So my wife and I had an opportunity to eat at Mariposa Sedona a few weeks back and my wife had their Cubano skirt steak with a chimichurri, and she even tried (my mind blown she did) their scallops which had a mango salsa...... but she added some the mango salsa to her skirt steak and it was like printing money on a Friday night! So she wanted a repeat.......

So bingo reverse sear TT with chimichurri and mango salsa and seared scallops (the boy did these). I will note that the wife used some prickly pear white balsamic that we picked up in Sedona in the chimichurri....... HOLY MOLY!!!!
IMG_8353.jpeg

All I can say is the only better thing about printing money on a Friday night is printing it for a second Friday!! many oh man the layers of flavors!!!!
IMG_8354.jpeg

A full cornucopia of flavors right here!
IMG_8355.jpeg

Since we had two TT's I thought we would be doing steak or freezing one, but the next day the wife and boy brought home some lobster tails that were on sale for another variation........ rather than grill or oven roast the tails, we had some heavy cream that needed to be used so I made up a pan of 1/3 cube of butter and about 1.5 cups of heavy cream, salt and some of the chimichurri herbs and heated it to 150 degrees....then put a skewer lengthwise through the tale to keep it from curling and then poached them to a perfect INT of 150....... IE the Gordon R treatment.....

Here is the result......The TT was just a repeat of the day before smoke and sear......but changed up the presentation a bit..... Oh and just a light sprinkle of coarse sea salt to dress everything.....
IMG_8359.jpeg

Money MONEY and LOTS of MONEY! I can't believe we havn't been poaching our lobster tails until now....the first bite brought me right back to being in Hells Kitchen Vegas and trying GR's Lobster risotto!
IMG_8360.jpeg

Just a final note......... We went out to get some hot subs and a local restaurant earlier this week and both these presentations together were about the same as the three sandwiches, chips, and a drink we got..........

PS, this is now a future rotation in our house!!!!!!

Last edited:
Now Mr Civil those are 2 high $$ meals for sure and look amazing!
I can only imagine the blend of flavors on each dish! We love seafood and I've got to borrow your notes!

Keith

Yeah Civil that looks Perfect. Love the colors on everything!! What a great meal that must have been!!

Reactions: JLinza
That looks great. I am glad too see our favorite cuts are moving their way east.

The Tri-tip is the sole reason for pic in my avatar.

Work has been a little taxing but finally completed a couple large projects and did a little celebration (in truth I was having issues "not" working over the weekend...it seemed odd....).... So the wife suggested some prime tri tips, so she grabbed a 2 pack from Costco for the weekend. I didn't get many progress pics, but it got smoked in the RT 1250 at 180 for an hour to get a hint of smoke. It was seasoned up with Kinders the blend......

Just finished smoking INT 100 and onto the Weber for some searing......View attachment 696818
I have gravitated to not using the sear zone on the weber for TTs because they seem to do better with a bit slower sear.....

INT @ 135, time to pull......
View attachment 696819

So my wife and I had an opportunity to eat at Mariposa Sedona a few weeks back and my wife had their Cubano skirt steak with a chimichurri, and she even tried (my mind blown she did) their scallops which had a mango salsa...... but she added some the mango salsa to her skirt steak and it was like printing money on a Friday night! So she wanted a repeat.......

So bingo reverse sear TT with chimichurri and mango salsa and seared scallops (the boy did these). I will note that the wife used some prickly pear white balsamic that we picked up in Sedona in the chimichurri....... HOLY MOLY!!!!
View attachment 696820
All I can say is the only better thing about printing money on a Friday night is printing it for a second Friday!! many oh man the layers of flavors!!!!
View attachment 696821
A full cornucopia of flavors right here!
View attachment 696822

Since we had two TT's I thought we would be doing steak or freezing one, but the next day the wife and boy brought home some lobster tails that were on sale for another variation........ rather than grill or oven roast the tails, we had some heavy cream that needed to be used so I made up a pan of 1/3 cube of butter and about 1.5 cups of heavy cream, salt and some of the chimichurri herbs and heated it to 150 degrees....then put a skewer lengthwise through the tale to keep it from curling and then poached them to a perfect INT of 150....... IE the Gordon R treatment.....

Here is the result......The TT was just a repeat of the day before smoke and sear......but changed up the presentation a bit..... Oh and just a light sprinkle of coarse sea salt to dress everything.....
View attachment 696823

Money MONEY and LOTS of MONEY! I can't believe we havn't been poaching our lobster tails until now....the first bite brought me right back to being in Hells Kitchen Vegas and trying GR's Lobster risotto!
View attachment 696824

Just a final note......... We went out to get some hot subs and a local restaurant earlier this week and both these presentations together were about the same as the three sandwiches, chips, and a drink we got..........

PS, this is now a future rotation in our house!!!!!!
I would have eaten that before I took pics. viola!

Beautiful plates! You manage to combine many of my favorite foods into those meals...Tri tip, mango salsa, chimichurri, scallops, lobster...I'm thrilled to have just one or two of those in a meal!

Reactions: millerbuilds
For the price of a takeout sub meal you got two gorgeous plates that I'd pay top dollar for! Excellent sir!

Jim

Beautiful meals Civil just beautiful.

Point for sure
Chris
Many thanks Chris....I kinda just came together.....
Now Mr Civil those are 2 high $$ meals for sure and look amazing!
I can only imagine the blend of flavors on each dish! We love seafood and I've got to borrow your notes!

Keith
Thanks Keith and yes borrow away.... I was surprised at how well the two went together but after looking the ingredients of both its really not
Now that looks incredible. Heck of a meal, right there. Nicely done. 👌
Thanks JL!
Nicely done!
many thanks broke!
Yeah Civil that looks Perfect. Love the colors on everything!! What a great meal that must have been!!
Mush appreciated redi!

Man that sho is purdy.
:-) Thanks edmonds!
That looks great. I am glad too see our favorite cuts are moving their way east.

The Tri-tip is the sole reason for pic in my avatar.
Thanks and ah yes the TT has been in these parts for a while being beef country. I remember BBQing a bunch of them over an open fire pit almost 25 years ago at a work party.
I would have eaten that before I took pics. viola!
FX..... I agree, I can say if I hadn't had samples tastes of the slicing I don't think I would have paused to take a pic.....LOL
Wow Civil! I am literally drooling on my self. That is off the charts buddy! I did some of that mango salsa Charles did couple weeks ago. Good stuff.
Much appreciated Brian! I was drooling before during and after....just so you know!
Beautiful plates! You manage to combine many of my favorite foods into those meals...Tri tip, mango salsa, chimichurri, scallops, lobster...I'm thrilled to have just one or two of those in a meal!
Many thanks SChem! My wife's comment was.... see this is why we eat out so we can get new ideas to cook at home!!! Oh and the combinations were a top shelve keeper for sure!

That's a winner. Mango salsa is hard to beat with just about anything off the grill.
Thanks mr w! I have to agree with you mango salsa and really mango anything is tasty. We do a lot of mango sticky rice.....YUM!
Gorgeous looking plates right there!! Very nice work!!
Much appreciated GS!
Perfection!
Thanks shlotz!
That is a perfect looking plate, I would destroy it!!!!

Thank you for sharing!

- Jason
Thanks MillerB! When I put the plate together, I was like I better take a pic and make a post because I didn't want it to be a dream! LOL
For the price of a takeout sub meal you got two gorgeous plates that I'd pay top dollar for! Excellent sir!

Jim
Many thanks Jim.....and yes I'm like why to we eat out..... oh motivation to cook at home!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky