Masterbuilt smoker vent position?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've had my MES 40 for one year now, and it's been wonderful.  I've finally figured out what works for me regarding the vent and the external Masterbuilt "cold" smoker unit.  As Bear and others have said, I close my vent for preheating and storage, and then I leave it at half-open when smoking.  I tweak it a little, sometimes opening or closing it a little, depending on how the temperatures are going.  But I sure love the smoker.

I'd say that my only problem is when I'm smoking a lot of meat that's cold, the smoker can't seem to recover temperature-wise.  The MES might read 275, for example, but the real temperature is 225.  That's almost always fine with me.  And I now have a Weber grill and a Slow N Sear for those times I want a higher temperature (chicken wings!).

I'd say that my only problem is when I'm smoking a lot of meat that's cold, the smoker can't seem to recover temperature-wise.  

Hey Dogwalker, Yeah, that is a problem in the cooler weather. I let my beef come up to about room temperature and my bigger pork cuts a few degrees cooler. With poultry, my fridge is @38' and I go for smaller batches. You don't want poultry to spend too much time in that funky zone.

JD

Last edited:

I've had my MES 40 for one year now, and it's been wonderful.  I've finally figured out what works for me regarding the vent and the external Masterbuilt "cold" smoker unit.  As Bear and others have said, I close my vent for preheating and storage, and then I leave it at half-open when smoking.  I tweak it a little, sometimes opening or closing it a little, depending on how the temperatures are going.  But I sure love the smoker.

I'd say that my only problem is when I'm smoking a lot of meat that's cold, the smoker can't seem to recover temperature-wise.  The MES might read 275, for example, but the real temperature is 225.  That's almost always fine with me.  And I now have a Weber grill and a Slow N Sear for those times I want a higher temperature (chicken wings!).
Need more info on that one.

If it's set at 275°, and it's really 225° on some other accurate Therm in the smoker:

#1   If the Heating element is still on, it's having trouble recovering.

#2   If the Heating element is off, your MES control is much to far off. (I would call them) You paid for a Smoker that goes from 100° to 275°.

Bear

If I close the vent on my 40 inch smoker all the way it will turn the meat black and a heartbeat. I do have the Retro flower box which is a larger box and the one that came with it

Reactions: mawil1013
The problem there is closing the top vent while smoking sounds good on paper, but those who have been using their MES units for a long time know better. I'm sure Whoever wrote that "Helping Hint" hasn't used one as much as hundreds of guys on this Forum have.

I keep my top vent open all the way at all times, unless it's windy. 

If it's windy I close it half-way to keep the wind from sucking the heat out the top vent, along with using other ways of blocking the wind.

I only close the top vent as far as it goes when Preheating, holding temp after food is done, and when storing (to keep bugs out).

Bear

Reactions: DaddyWayne

Need more info on that one.

If it's set at 275°, and it's really 225° on some other accurate Therm in the smoker:

#1   If the Heating element is still on, it's having trouble recovering.

#2   If the Heating element is off, your MES control is much to far off. (I would call them) You paid for a Smoker that goes from 100° to 275°.

Bear
Hey, Bear!  Hmmm, I'll have to try more meat again sometime.  Lately I've cooked only small amounts of meat, and the big discrepancies were only when I had something like at least two shoulders in it.  And I have to admit, I took the shoulders out of the fridge when I turned on the smoker, and put them in the smoker probably 20 minutes later.  Maybe I should wait 30 minutes to let them come up a little in temperature and also let the MES "warm up."

I've also noticed that the discrepancy depends on the vent position.  I recently cooked some thick steaks in the smoker, and I use the Thermoworks Smoke to monitor temperatures.  I closed the vent while preheating, to help the preheating go faster.  Then I opened the door and put the steaks in and opened the vent all the way.  At that point, the Smoke measured the air temperature a lot lower than the MES gauge.  They did close in, but the MES read higher, and therefore, it cut off before the Smoke reached the 225 I was aiming for.  So, I just closed the vent again and the temps gradually settled within a few degrees.

It varies with the amount of meat, but I've found that I need to close the top vent a little to get temperatures to agree.  Not completely, just somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 open, usually around 1/2.

Hey, Bear!  Hmmm, I'll have to try more meat again sometime.  Lately I've cooked only small amounts of meat, and the big discrepancies were only when I had something like at least two shoulders in it.  And I have to admit, I took the shoulders out of the fridge when I turned on the smoker, and put them in the smoker probably 20 minutes later.  Maybe I should wait 30 minutes to let them come up a little in temperature and also let the MES "warm up."

I've also noticed that the discrepancy depends on the vent position.  I recently cooked some thick steaks in the smoker, and I use the Thermoworks Smoke to monitor temperatures.  I closed the vent while preheating, to help the preheating go faster.  Then I opened the door and put the steaks in and opened the vent all the way.  At that point, the Smoke measured the air temperature a lot lower than the MES gauge.  They did close in, but the MES read higher, and therefore, it cut off before the Smoke reached the 225 I was aiming for.  So, I just closed the vent again and the temps gradually settled within a few degrees.

It varies with the amount of meat, but I've found that I need to close the top vent a little to get temperatures to agree.  Not completely, just somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 open, usually around 1/2.
Maybe it's because the Mes stock toggle looking sensor sticks out of the back wall and stays warmer than the Smoke air therm suspended in open air so the Smoke therm may cool faster. I'd go by the Smoke Therm you can calibrate in boiling water and place it close to your food and set the Mes according to the Smoke therm.
-Kurt

Maybe it's because the Mes stock toggle looking sensor sticks out of the back wall and stays warmer than the Smoke air therm suspended in open air so the Smoke therm may cool faster. I'd go by the Smoke Therm you can calibrate in boiling water and place it close to your food and set the Mes according to the Smoke therm.
-Kurt
yeahthat.gif

Always go by the Therm that is easy to check in boiling water, and adjust your MES setting to make the accurate therm (near the meat) get to what you want.

I keep my Vent open all the way, unless I'm Preheating (closed), or if it's Windy (Half open).

Also---Particularly in the Winter, if you have a Window in your door, be sure if it's facing South, that the Sun doesn't hit the MES heat sensor on the back wall of your Smoker. That will send a wrong signal to your Smoker & cause the element to shut off at the wrong Temp

Bear.

yeahthat.gif

Always go by the Therm that is easy to check in boiling water, and adjust your MES setting to make the accurate therm (near the meat) get to what you want.

I keep my Vent open all the way, unless I'm Preheating (closed), or if it's Windy (Half open).

Also---Particularly in the Winter, if you have a Window in your door, be sure if it's facing South, that the Sun doesn't hit the MES heat sensor on the back wall of your Smoker. That will send a wrong signal to your Smoker & cause the element to shut off at the wrong Temp

Bear.
Thanks, both of you!

-Kurt
That makes sense, thanks!

I have a master built 40” first time smoking a pork butt in it. Internal Temp is at 164 when should I wrap it

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky