Looking for a good injection recipe, ideas, or commercial product for Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chonch

Original poster
May 17, 2019
Hello!

I have an 7.5lb Pork Butt I will be throwing on my OK Joe Highland around 2AM. Plan on smoking it about 250-260 until 165-170, wrap and finish to 205.

I've injected before but wanted to get some advice here. Any thoughts on what are some good go to ingredients, how long to inject before adding my rub (usually don't run 30-45 min prior to smoking).

Thanks and happy Memorial day I'll be sure to post some pre and post pics. Doing the pork butt and 2 racks of baby backs tomorrow

Hello!

I have an 7.5lb Pork Butt I will be throwing on my OK Joe Highland around 2AM. Plan on smoking it about 250-260 until 165-170, wrap and finish to 205.

I've injected before but wanted to get some advice here. Any thoughts on what are some good go to ingredients, how long to inject before adding my rub (usually don't run 30-45 min prior to smoking).

Thanks and happy Memorial day I'll be sure to post some pre and post pics. Doing the pork butt and 2 racks of baby backs tomorrow
Jeff's dr pepper cherry cola injection is really good...
Heres what I just did Sunday that was great...
1 cup cherry dr pepper
1/2 cup apple juice and pineapple juice
2 tsp kosher salt.
Rub
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chili powder
1 TSP kosher salt
1 tsp each onion powder garlic powder.
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
1 package unsweetened black cherry koolaid.
Smoke as usual...
Finishing sauce...injection recipe cut in half plus 2TBS rub + 2 TBS favorite bbq sauce...(I like Stubbs origional)
Gets rave reviews every time.

When I have injected (and I usually don't anymore for butts) I found that frozen concentrated apple juice (like one can per butt) mixed with 1/2 cup vinegar and salt/finely ground pepper and garlic to taste (have to be circumspect about dry spices in injections) worked great.

When I have injected (and I usually don't anymore for butts) I found that frozen concentrated apple juice (like one can per butt) mixed with 1/2 cup vinegar and salt/finely ground pepper and garlic to taste (have to be circumspect about dry spices in injections) worked great.
Why don't you inject anymore?

I can't answer for Jonok, but for me - I don't really see any benefit from injecting pork butt. Not to mention it adds time to the total cook and you risk mushy meat. If I want added flavor then I'll add some rub or finishing sauce to the butt after it's been pulled.

Chris

Reactions: smokeydrewsky
okay thanks Chris! I was going to try injecting this week but really don't want mushy meat. Maybe go light on how much juice I use? If you do inject, do you still pull it at the same temp? ~200º

Drew, here's a thread from earlier in the week covering the same topic. You'll see comments from both sides of the fence. If you do want to inject, apple juice, cherry soda, and vinegar are three of the more common injection liquids(although there are plenty of others). Using the soda or vinegar will increase the chances of the meat becoming mushy . So do it about an hour or so prior to smoking.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/when-to-inject-pork-butt-pics-added.287625/

I still believe injection isn't needed. If you want added flavor then do so when the pork is pulled, but as you can see. There isn't one correct way to do something. Just what works for you.

Yes the butt is done when it's done - injected or not. 200* isn't the magic number. It could be done at 195* or at 210*+. It all depends on that particular butt. Start probing at 195* and if the skewer goes in easily your done. Most time you can tell by eye or with your tongs. Also if you have a bone in it - the bone will freely wiggle when it's done.

Chris

I am in the same camp as Chris.
I do not inject nor do I mop or spritz.
And, the only time I wrap with foil is right before putting the butt in a towel lined cooler for and hour or two which lets the meat fibers relax to redistribute the natural meat juices before pulling.

As Chris mentioned, the 195*F - 210*F is a guideline since each piece of meat is different.
You are really shooting for probe tender and a bone that wiggles with little resistance.

You don't have to inject to get good results. You smoke a butt with TBS to proper IT and it will be good. Does injecting improve the results? Yes, I believe it does but it has it's risks. Injecting strong acidic liquids like vinegar creates the risk of mushy meat. I suggest injecting just apple juice for your first foray or look into some premade. Kosmos is popular but there are others. My injection is based on Mixon's but includes phosphate.

Really for the reasons above. (with apologies to Dr. Franklin) : ..."Pork butts are proof that God loves us and wants us to smoke meat"...

yep, its a platitude, but a well-seasoned butt tossed on a well regulated smoker and just left to its own devices for 12 hrs or so is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
I'm a big fan of the way pig tastes, and when I try to screw around with it, (other than a little carolina type sauce on the side, or, in Northern climes, some sweet, sour and salty finishing sauce), I am doing a disservice to the animal.

A good butt speaks for itself.

Really for the reasons above. (with apologies to Dr. Franklin) : ..."Pork butts are proof that God loves us and wants us to smoke meat"...

yep, its a platitude, but a well-seasoned butt tossed on a well regulated smoker and just left to its own devices for 12 hrs or so is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
I'm a big fan of the way pig tastes, and when I try to screw around with it, (other than a little carolina type sauce on the side, or, in Northern climes, some sweet, sour and salty finishing sauce), I am doing a disservice to the animal.

A good butt speaks for itself.

Amen!

Amen brother. In the end, you have to find out for yourself. I did 8 butts back to back for daughter's grad party last year and learned how we like ours. Jonok Jonok raises a good point. We found non injected PP a bit gamey. You may not. I still remember the first time I injected (just apple juice). I did an overnight pellicle and prepared myself for a little "oink" opening the fridge door and to my surprise, there was nothing but a glorious fresh meat smell. I was shocked and excited. The big question that we don't see debated is whether adding apple juice etc after pulling will have the same effect as injecting it. Honestly, it might, but I like the control of injection. My injection is weight based and is applied evenly so I am assured it is evenly disbursed. All this being said, TBS, consistent temps, and proper pull IT are far more important than injecting. You mess those up, no injection will save you.

well said, Zwiller! thanks for the advice. I decided to inject one of the two shoulders and not the other. That will give a good indication of the difference especially since they are being cooked together with the same other variables at play.

Reactions: zwiller
Great idea to do side by side shoot out! Best way to find out. Good luck on the smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky