3 Backs and a Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Redicans

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2023
Hawaii
My Saturday smoke was 3 racks of baby backs and a 3.5lb pork butt. Ribs were rubbed with a brown sugar rub and butt was simple red Alaea Hawaiian salt.

IMG_5083.jpeg
IMG_5084.jpeg

Two hours in.

IMG_5087.jpeg

At 165 I wrapped the butt in a Ti leaf and Banana leaf in foil. Going for a Kalua pig style cook.

IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_5095.jpeg

Total cook time was 6hrs. Ribs were not wrapped.

IMG_5099.jpeg
IMG_5101.jpeg

IMG_5102.jpeg
IMG_5103.jpeg
IMG_5104.jpeg

Everything came out nice. Ribs were super tender and Juicy. The butt cam out perfect. Easily shredded and tasted as close to Kalua pig as I can get on a smoker. Really tasty and that smokiness was great. Also liked the smoke ring visual on it.

Sorry no plate shot. Had roasted taters and broccoli for the meal. My brother and good friend were over and a few beers were had😂!

Looks delicious Red. Nicely done

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Redicans
That is some serious good looking meat…..I thought the rib plate was the plated shot….. the rib plate!

I’m going to try that leaf wrap now. That looked amazing!

Our church has an annual International Dinner and everyone brings an ethnic dish. We have a family from Hawaii that brought Kalua pulled pork. It was absolutely phenomenal! Best I've ever had. Tom is going to get me some Ti leaves if he can sneak them off of the island.

That is some serious good looking meat…..I thought the rib plate was the plated shot….. the rib plate!

I’m going to try that leaf wrap now. That looked amazing!
Thanks Civil, Ive done a few butts that way and they are pretty damn tasty. Very simple but so good!

Looks great. I miss kalua pork from my time living in Hawaii!
You can get Banana leaf online. Maybe Ti leaf also but it can be done with just Banana. Very simple to do. You should give it a try. Little different than traditional but still very good.

Now that's what I'm talking about!! The ribs look great but I'd love to sit down to a mountain of that pork roast sitting in front of me. I can only guess it was fantastic. Very nice all around.

Robert

Now that's what I'm talking about!! The ribs look great but I'd love to sit down to a mountain of that pork roast sitting in front of me. I can only guess it was fantastic. Very nice all around.

Robert
Thanks Robert, my thoughts exactly. Ribs were good but man the pork was the winner for me!

Awesome smoke on the Kalua pork!
We’ll be visiting a couple islands late next February for our first time.
We’ve been watching hundreds of YouTube videos on eats and places to see and Kalua Pork is in our list to eat!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky