Whole pig and chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
My brother got married Saturday and we did a whole pig and 30 half chickens for the reception. First time I’ve done a whole pig but my buddy who was helping has done a few so just listened to him. The grill for the chickens was a barrel cut the night before (at about 11pm after way too many beers. OSHA wouldn’t have approved) but it worked great. The chicken we sprayed with my brothers concoctions of mostly ACV and turned out great. The chicken was gone about 20 minutes after it was set out. Luckily we were eating as we were splitting them. When we pulled the pig off Al kinds of people came to watch and we were even able to put some of them to work pulling it so it worked out great.
-The pit my brother built and finally finished about a week ago. It ran pretty good. Temp difference was about 40 degrees across which we didn’t think was too bad. We started burning oak around 1pm Friday, and we got the pig on at 6pm to have it ready for 4pm the next day. Used Jeff’s rub all over it and injected it with ACV mixed with the leftover rub. Anyway here are all the pics I was able to snap. I didn’t get any of the chicken finished which I was mad about. But we were busy

IMG_5718.jpeg
IMG_5719.jpeg
IMG_5721.jpeg
IMG_5722.jpeg
IMG_5725.jpeg
IMG_7023.jpeg
IMG_5728.jpeg
IMG_5738.jpeg
IMG_5739.jpeg
IMG_3171.jpeg
IMG_5730.jpeg
IMG_5735.jpeg

I've cooked quite a few whole pigs/hogs and always started them skin side up, but that's a preference and is debatable. When the hog is done, I'd flip it skin side down to crisp up the skin and pull the meat. We would stir the meat inside the skin, kind of like a stew, after pulling the ribs out...

Outstanding.
Some people are put off by a whole hog carcass coming off the pit.
I've done a number of whole hog both skin on and skinless. I prefer a rotisserie and skin on.
Never went 34 hours on a hog. 12 hours was the longest
Love the stretcher flip of the chicken.
Love the blue dress, uh pulling pork photo.

I've cooked quite a few whole pigs/hogs and always started them skin side up, but that's a preference and is debatable. When the hog is done, I'd flip it skin side down to crisp up the skin and pull the meat. We would stir the meat inside the skin, kind of like a stew, after pulling the ribs out...
That sounds like a good idea. Have to try that next time
Outstanding.
Some people are put off by a whole hog carcass coming off the pit.
I've done a number of whole hog both skin on and skinless. I prefer a rotisserie and skin on.
Never went 34 hours on a hog. 12 hours was the longest
Love the stretcher flip of the chicken.
Love the blue dress, uh pulling pork photo.
Hahaaah
All together it was in the pit for about 20 hours. We killed the fire at about 16 hours it was right around 200* everywhere and just let it hang out in there while it was cooling off and they did the ceremony

Nice large cook, and good that it went as you had hoped ,
Always love the smell in the air on these outdoor cooks, better than napalm in the morning ( " Apocalypse Now " reference )

Big crowd cooks always have me on edge / nervous.

As normally it is someone's special occasion, and I don't want the food to be the memory, in a bad way

You did great

David

Reactions: SmokingUPnorth
Looks like a great day. Nice job!!!!! I know who to call for caterer when my daughters boyfriends feet finally warm up, lol.

I know this just got bumped , but I remembered the thread because it's impressive . Can't believe I didn't leave a comment before , because it certainly deserves one .
Great work .

Reactions: HalfSmoked
This newbie finally had some time to do some SMF digging. I'll probably "bump" a bunch as I find time dig deeper. I hope that isn't bad etiquitte

That's cooking in a big way!! That chicken grill looks damn good for something you cut the night before at beer thirty!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky