Recteq Kalua Pork: happening

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks really good to me Nefarious!! Yeah it does not need much salt. I did one the other day and it came out damn good. Same thing for me, I could have cut the salt in half. Sorry I forgot pics! I wrapped in leaves from the beginning but if I do again I will smoke without out wrapping and do how you did it. Wrap after 3 hours in leaves and foil. My leaves were a bit crispy. It was tasty though. I think you nailed it, just adjust salt to taste!! Get some Poi if you can and your meal will be Epic!! My mouth was watering looking at your Pics!!

Sean
Thanks for your guidance on this cook. It was really good and the person I made it for, the person hosting the party, loved it. I'm making again, for the party this time, for this weekend and will cut the salt down. They didn't have a problem with the salt at all so will probably reduce it to 3/4 of what I used. Also, letting the pork sit in the refrigerator for 2 days before smoking seems to make a huge difference in distributing the salt flavor inside the meat to even it out.

I really liked your pictures of the Imu, sounds like a fun way to cook. Too bad it isn't practical for a pork butt or two.

Last edited:
Thanks for your guidance on this cook. It was really good and the person I made it for, the person hosting the party, loved it. I'm making again, for the party this time, for this weekend and will cut the salt down. They didn't have a problem with the salt at all so will probably reduce it to 3/4 of what I used. Also, letting the pork sit in the refrigerator for 2 days before smoking seems to make a huge difference in distributing the salt flavor inside the meat to even it out.

I really liked your pictures of the Imu, sounds like a fun way to cook. Too bad it isn't practical for a pork butt or two.
Nice!! I just gave some input. You had a pretty good plan from the get go. Glad I could help a bit. The one I did looked very similar to yours but your smoking first before wrapping in the leaves and foil is what I will be doing for sure the next time!

Thanks for the comment on the Imu!! They are always a fun time!! Great excuse to hang out with great friends and cook some great food. If you have the stuff to do one you can actually to a small one for a few pork butts or turkey's but it is a lot of work for that small of a cook. Pretty sure that's why F Filipino-Boy mentioned the oven method. It does work good and my Mom has done it many times over the years for a quick and easy Kalua pig or Kalua Turkey dinner. But I am liking the smoker version for sure!!

Good luck with your party I am sure it will be Awesome after seeing your first go at it!!

Sean

Last edited:
Reactions: Nefarious
Any time you need a taste tester, I’m only three hours away!

Can you post a recipe?

Sounds like an interesting cook Nef. It also looks great. Nice job

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky