LEM 5# Sausage Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well crud.... If LEM is changing out their model, I guess I need to order a set of 606 replacement gears while I can still get them.  One of these days I will probably need to change out the nylon ones on my Northern Tool stuffer.

I got ya. Maybe I need to order too.

Well crud.... If LEM is changing out their model, I guess I need to order a set of 606 replacement gears while I can still get them.  One of these days I will probably need to change out the nylon ones on my Northern Tool stuffer.
Get with LEM on the metal gears for your NT. My friend did that and the metal did not fit on his NT?

I do like the new LEM where the gears are encased in the housing and a beefy'r top end.

Last edited:

Get with LEM on the metal gears for your NT. My friend did that and the metal did not fit on his NT?
It is my understanding that the metal gears will not fit the NT threaded rod, but if you order a rod from LEM for the gears, it works.  On the other hand I only paid $56 for my stuffer and I've been eyeing a stainless 15 pound horizontal model made by Hakka Brothers on Amazon.  The 15lb is $163 with free shipping.  By the time I buy the rod and gears with shipping from LEM I'll have $50-$60 in the upgrade and still just have a 5 lb stuffer. I seem to finding myself making 10 pound batches of sticks lately.  Either the Hakka 11 lb or 15 lb horizontal dual speed is starting to look like a better plan.  I like their horizontal as in their vertical models you have lot of meat that will be left in the bend where the stuffer tube mounts.  In the horizontal, there is no bend and the stuffer tube mounts flat to the base for minimal meat remaining in the chamber.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to be happy with this purchase. I have started going through the posts in the Sausage section and started compiling information on this. I write manuals at work and have started making a cook book of sorts on sausage information and recipes found here (I am funny this way). I may try making something after Christmas as I am off that week.

Link 

Th tubes looks k like plastic not stainless! So not N all
Stainless model after all!
I forgot the tubes. Better 
sausage.gif

Last edited:
MUCH BETTER!!!!!!  Now where can those beauties be purchased from?  Those are not stock LEM tubes.

Last edited:
I'm contemplating on getting another 5 lb stuffer.... Dont want Nepas to get too far ahead of me.....There still is the option to get the 606 or the  1606.... sure would like to see the 1606 in action. anyone try the new one and can make a comparison

Joe

I'm contemplating on getting another 5 lb stuffer.... Dont want Nepas to get too far ahead of me.....There still is the option to get the 606 or the  1606.... sure would like to see the 1606 in action. anyone try the new one and can make a comparison

Joe
I kinda like the look at that new LEM 5lb with the beefy frame and enclosed gears.

The stuffer looks better in quality with a cast top end. I wonder if its cast aluminum or cast steel

These single gear stainless steel stuffers set the bar for performance and dependability. The precision machined carbon steel gears are manufactured to eliminate slippage and wear, and won't rust or collect germs. Cylinder is easily removed for clean-up. The hard plastic piston with built-in release valve allows air to escape, making your job easier. These are reliable, high performance, gear-driven stuffers that will last. For additional protection, the 5 lb. Stuffer now includes a protective gear box cover. This innovation takes safety and durability to the next level by ensuring your gears and your food are well protected.

My biggest question about the new gear box that is covered, will be is there a way to lube the gears? I like to spray the exposed gears of mine with some LEM silicone spray and I have food rated clear grease that I try to keep on the shafts at the washers.

IMHO the gears dont need lubrication. maybe a little lube on the threaded rod. My 15 lb stuffer has never seen lube and Ive worked it hard stuffing sticks. its more stressful on a 15 lb stuffer going through a 3/8 tube than a 5 lb stuffer

My 2 cents

Joe

I am hopefully going to give it a try tomorrow. I just pick up 12lbs of pork shoulder and will try a basic breakfast sausage. My son bought me some collagen casing so i will give this a try for the first batch (Keep it simple) and then try natural casing next so I have a comparison. 

I will take pictures and post them later.

Link

Ok guys here is the finished product. I have no comparison to give as I have never had a sausage stuffer before but this LEM 5lb unit is AWESOME! I cannot belive how easy it was to use and clean up.

I started with Breakfast sausage (wife's choice) and used Pops recipe and it came out fantastic. I was going to start small but figured if I was going to do the work and make a mess might as well start big (or at least big to me). So i went with 10lbs of pork shoulder. I weighed everything out so all measurements were right on.

Luckily I am in Michigan so my deck out back is my freezer and I was able to get all of the meat really cold (currently 28° here)

Here are the pics!

Spices:

Cutting up and weighing the pork shoulder: (5lb in each bowl)

Weighed and spices ready (also weighed spices)

Hand grinding (yeah I know, if I do this more a new grinder may be in my future) Ground all of it twice:

First couple rings (collagen casing).

All 10lb, I cut this all up into 5" links and will put this in vac bags and freeze.

This was a lot of fun and I will be doing this more. My son got me a spice mix for Bratwurst (for 25lbs) so this may be next.

Thanks for looking

Link

Quick tip, freeze the links before vac packing, or you'll have flat link patties. Place wax paper on a sheet pan and the links on that. Freeze for at least 4-6 hours (may take More depending on your freezer). Then pack.

Reactions: boykjo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky