1st snack stick questions, Bronco smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

broozer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 3, 2024
Portland, OR
A buddy & I have a road trip planned to the NASCAR race in Sonoma in June, and we both like snack sticks, the perfect road trip snack. I've got an LEM #5 grinder, a 5 lb. stuffer, an LEM jerky gun and a Bronco smoker.

1st question: is a Bronco the right tool for the job- I see a lot of folks use a cabinet smoker.
2nd question: Although I have a grinder, I'm thinking of using 80/20 ground beef. I've used that before for jerky gun jerky, and it came out great.
3rd question: I'd like to make these Slim Jim size; I'm thinking of a 3/8" tube and 16-17mm smoked collagen casings. The smallest tube I have is 16mm, and that seems too big for the smaller casings and the Slim Jims size.
4th question: I'd rather not buy a teriyaki mix, and wonder if anyone here has a good one they could share.

Thanks for any guidance!

Not a lot of help for you except to bump the post.
I've got a 1/4" tube that I picked up off Amazon in a package to update my very old cast iron stuffer.
After using store grind and home grind ...
I will never use store grind for making sausage. Why?
Publix down here actually make great ground meat. Only complaint is often the 80/20 I prefer is much leaner.
Back in Minnesota local grocer makes great ground for the fat ratio, EXCEPT they add a lot of ice in the grind

Reactions: broozer
Waltons Bloody Mary mix is good. Have done both jerky and snack sticks.
Owens BBQ has great seasonings also ( jalapeno 😉 )
Not sure what temps your Broncos run at. Best if you can start around 130-140° and ramp it up from there.

Reactions: broozer
Not a lot of help for you except to bump the post.
I've got a 1/4" tube that I picked up off Amazon in a package to update my very old cast iron stuffer.
After using store grind and home grind ...
I will never use store grind for making sausage. Why?
Publix down here actually make great ground meat. Only complaint is often the 80/20 I prefer is much leaner.
Back in Minnesota local grocer makes great ground for the fat ratio, EXCEPT they add a lot of ice in the grind
Native MN here; Uff Da!

I take the option to go no casing sometimes . I just cook them in the oven at 170 until finished .

20221201_070908.jpg
I use my jerky racks .
20221201_072116.jpg
20221201_115137.jpg

Reactions: mike243
While I can't help with the Bronco question, I can highly recommend Owen's mixes, they are great every time. As for the tube, I have 1/2" and 3/8" tubes that work well for some of the smaller casings. A word of caution, make your mix a bit "wetter" than normal and go SLOW with the smaller tubes.

As for the ground beef, I prefer to grind since I know what I'm getting, but, if you buy pre-ground, DO NOT buy the tubes of meat, buy it in the trays that have preferably been ground in house. The tubes tend to be pretty mushy and have a high water content.

A buddy & I have a road trip planned to the NASCAR race in Sonoma in June, and we both like snack sticks, the perfect road trip snack. I've got an LEM #5 grinder, a 5 lb. stuffer, an LEM jerky gun and a Bronco smoker.

1st question: is a Bronco the right tool for the job- I see a lot of folks use a cabinet smoker.
2nd question: Although I have a grinder, I'm thinking of using 80/20 ground beef. I've used that before for jerky gun jerky, and it came out great.
3rd question: I'd like to make these Slim Jim size; I'm thinking of a 3/8" tube and 16-17mm smoked collagen casings. The smallest tube I have is 16mm, and that seems too big for the smaller casings and the Slim Jims size.
4th question: I'd rather not buy a teriyaki mix Arlington Deck Building Contractor, and wonder if anyone here has a good one they could share.

Thanks for any guidance!
I have been watching BBQ USA on food network and have noticed many of the competitors they talk to at the KCBS contests use drum smokers. I haven't bought a new toy in a while so started looking around and the Oklahoma Joe Bronco caught my eye. Anybody have any experience with one? I'd like a cooker that can produce a better smoke flavor than the egg but not as big and high maintenance as an offset. Will something like this fit the bill or should I keep looking?

I used to have a small offset smoker, but got tired of constantly having to add charcoal or wood to the fire box. I also wanted something bigger and more adjustable, so I got a Bronco. The thing I like best is you can load it with charcoal and it will run for hours without adding charcoal- I've run mine for 12 hours on one fill. You also have the ability to hang sausages inside, or quickly convert it for grilling. It's a heavy duty, well built smoker.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I ordered a 1/2" stuffing tube, some 21mm smoked collagen casings and some encapsulated citric acid for my first upcoming batch. I have some LEM Backwoods Original jerky seasoning that came with my jerky gun- would that be OK to use for snack sticks?

First snack sticks getting started on the Bronco:

beef sticks 1.jpg

I'm finding it pretty challenging to go low & slow from a start with charcoal, but I think I'm figuring it out; it just takes a lot of airflow management.
The 1/2" tube I got from The Sausage Maker didn't work on my stuffer, but I found one from HAKKA Bros. that did. It's a 10mm and the 19mm casings I got for the 1/2" tube are a little too big. Next time I'll get some 16MM. Still learning...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky