Pepperoni snack sticks with pepper jack cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
I bought a few items from TSM during their last sale and made some snack sticks from a few of their products. Mixed up some seasoning/cure #1 to go with 8 pounds of pork butt.
IMG_1193.jpg

Ground the pork butt twice through a 1/4 inch plate and added the seasoning and one pound of pepper jack cheese. Usually one pound goes for 10 # but I dumped it all in . :)
IMG_1195.jpg

Stuffed using my new electric stuffer, I had 2-3 "mishaps" before I figured the stuffer out. I had bought some sheep casings but decided to wait until I mastered the stuffer before wasting some expensive casings. I used 23 mm collagen casings.
IMG_1199.jpg

-Side note- I ground all my meat and then added all the back fat to the stuffer to force the rest of the meat out and ended up with two nice suet balls for the winter birds. A quick trip to the freezer and then into netting to hang outside.
IMG_1196.jpg

Anyhow back to the sticks- Into the smoker at 115 for 1.5 hours with the dampers wide open and no smoke chips. I then slowly bumped the temperature up to 165* and added one pan of cherry chips that lasted about two hours. The sticks reached 150-155 after about three more hours.
IMG_1224.jpg

Cut and vac sealed this AM for future snacks. Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1228.jpg

Those look fantastic CM. I just got an electric stuffer to and learning the curve. #10 LEM. What are you running? Nice work on those sticks.

Reactions: crazymoon
Looks good as always . Let me know what you think of the mix .
I have smoked pepperoni from TSM .

So how'd they taste? Do they have a garlic taste?

Wasn't thinking when I bought that Pepperoni Stick Seasoning from TSM.
Just got it a couple days ago and saw garlic as #3 in in the list.
If I can't taste or smell it, I'm OK with it. Otherwise, I hate it.

Those look fantastic CM. I just got an electric stuffer to and learning the curve. #10 LEM. What are you running? Nice work on those sticks.
SE, I bought the 25# non USA made stuffer,hit the foot pedal and let off ,hit the foot pedal and let off -over and over for a nice smooth stuff. :)
Looks good as always . Let me know what you think of the mix .
I have smoked pepperoni from TSM .
CS, I forgot to mention in my post that I added Buttermilk powder for more tang. The sticks taste good but need more pizzazz. I'll add some hot pepper or something similar to the next batch.
So how'd they taste? Do they have a garlic taste?

Wasn't thinking when I bought that Pepperoni Stick Seasoning from TSM.
Just got it a couple days ago and saw garlic as #3 in in the list.
If I can't taste or smell it, I'm OK with it. Otherwise, I hate it.
02eb, I taste more of an anise flavor over garlic, I like garlic so maybe there is a hint there but I'm not tatsing it. As I told Chop it's a bit on the bland side ,needs more spice then they recommend per # of meat ?

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice job on those sticks Dave. They look and sound great.

Point for sure
Chris

a bit on the bland side ,needs more spice then they recommend per # of meat ?
That's why I asked . The one I have is the same . Needs more mix and some adds .
I mixed up some SS today and used some Buttermilk powder . Time to revisit that .

Your sticks have great color .

I bought a few items from TSM during their last sale and made some snack sticks from a few of their products. Mixed up some seasoning/cure #1 to go with 8 pounds of pork butt.
View attachment 688737
Ground the pork butt twice through a 1/4 inch plate and added the seasoning and one pound of pepper jack cheese. Usually one pound goes for 10 # but I dumped it all in . :)
View attachment 688738
Stuffed using my new electric stuffer, I had 2-3 "mishaps" before I figured the stuffer out. I had bought some sheep casings but decided to wait until I mastered the stuffer before wasting some expensive casings. I used 23 mm collagen casings.
View attachment 688739
-Side note- I ground all my meat and then added all the back fat to the stuffer to force the rest of the meat out and ended up with two nice suet balls for the winter birds. A quick trip to the freezer and then into netting to hang outside.
View attachment 688740
Anyhow back to the sticks- Into the smoker at 115 for 1.5 hours with the dampers wide open and no smoke chips. I then slowly bumped the temperature up to 165* and added one pan of cherry chips that lasted about two hours. The sticks reached 150-155 after about three more hours.
View attachment 688741
Cut and vac sealed this AM for future snacks. Thanks for looking ! CM
View attachment 688742
View attachment 688743
Man those looked good!

This makes me wonder. Is there any such pepperoni seasoning or product for cure#1 "peperoni" that comes close to the true dry cured version of peperoni that we all know and love on pizza?

I just did some using a formula from Rick that's pretty darn good . This is after holding in pink paper in the fridge for a week or so . The further drying really ups the flavor . I think you saw the thread .
View attachment 688755
Oh yeah I saw the thread! I forgot about it!

Thanks for the reminder hahaha

Dang nab it CM them look good,,, Great job as always,,,,, what was your total time in the smoker??
DS, Thanks for the kind words. About an hour and a half drying with no smoke ,then two hours with smoke and another 3 hours to finish with no smoke.Longer then normal but cold and windy that day.

Looks Great.

I like to change up my pepperoni sticks and add some rehydrated onion, parmesan cheese and some dry tomato soup tot he mix and make pizza sticks. Sooooo good too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky