Spicy Jalapeno summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crazymoon

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2014
Great North Woods, NH
Made up a 10 pound batch of Jalapeno SS using snack stick seasoning as I had a huge surplus.Added 1 jar of Mt Olive chopped jalapenos,a cup of Buttermilk powder (for tang) and 2 teaspoons of cure #1. Ground twice through a 5/16 inch plate. The mix rested in the fridge for 2 days.
IMG_1072.jpg

Soaked some 61mm fibrous casings in warm water for 30+ minutes keeping them submerged with another bowl of warm water on top of them.
IMG_1067.jpg

Into my new electric stuffer. I had wanted one for years and finally broke down and purchased a 25 pound stuffer. Happy with the stuffer but not sure about doing snack sticks as it spit out the SS meat rapidly at the lowest speed, it may shoot the snack stick across the room ! Used 1/2 inch hog rings to seal the ends. Excuse the background mess in my cellar. :)

IMG_1075.jpg

Smoked for 3 hours(165*) after a dry time of 1.5 hours(115*). I then used a sous vide bath for 4 hours at 140*. Removed from SV and hung in my cold cellar to cool before refrigerating for the night.
IMG_1078.jpg

Sliced this AM and vacsealed for ice fishing snacks .
IMG_1079.jpg

Thanks for looking ! CM
IMG_1080.jpg

I like it . Looks great . I just bought some buttermilk powder . Gonna revisit that on my next batch .

Reactions: crazymoon
Nice haul!
Even at slowest speed, still split casing ?
02eb, I had the largest tube and the slowest speed for the 61mm fibrous casings . Worked fine but was very fast ,no splitting and I'm sure I'll figure out things as I go . I believe it going to shoot the snack sticks faster than I can handle them,may put someone's eye out ! :) :). I 'll make some soon and find out !

I like it . Looks great . I just bought some buttermilk powder . Gonna revisit that on my next batch .
CS, IMHO you will like the addition of buttermilk powder. It really adds some "tang" to any summer sausage. I have been sticking with 1 cup per 10 pounds of meat, others may go more and maybe it gets even better ?

Reactions: chopsaw
I have been sticking with 1 cup per 10 pounds of meat, others may go more and maybe it gets even better ?
I used to use it . Just didn't see where it added anything . I probably wasn't using enough , but I want to revisit it . Thanks for the amount .

Looks great Dave. That's a beast of a stuffer you got there. I'm confident you'll tame the beast.

it spit out the SS meat rapidly at the lowest speed, it may shoot the snack stick across the room
And here I thought that was a UFO flying over my roof. I tried shooting it down with my paintball gun, but it was out reach.

Point for sure
Chris

Made up a 10 pound batch of Jalapeno SS using snack stick seasoning as I had a huge surplus.Added 1 jar of Mt Olive chopped jalapenos,a cup of Buttermilk powder (for tang) and 2 teaspoons of cure #1. Ground twice through a 5/16 inch plate. The mix rested in the fridge for 2 days.
View attachment 684884
Soaked some 61mm fibrous casings in warm water for 30+ minutes keeping them submerged with another bowl of warm water on top of them.
View attachment 684885
Into my new electric stuffer. I had wanted one for years and finally broke down and purchased a 25 pound stuffer. Happy with the stuffer but not sure about doing snack sticks as it spit out the SS meat rapidly at the lowest speed, it may shoot the snack stick across the room ! Used 1/2 inch hog rings to seal the ends. Excuse the background mess in my cellar. :)

View attachment 684886
Smoked for 3 hours(165*) after a dry time of 1.5 hours(115*). I then used a sous vide bath for 4 hours at 140*. Removed from SV and hung in my cold cellar to cool before refrigerating for the night.
View attachment 684887
Sliced this AM and vacsealed for ice fishing snacks .
View attachment 684888
Thanks for looking ! CM
View attachment 684889
I have only tried this once and created a FAIL. You have rekindle my spirit to try again. Looks fantastic!

CS, Everyone here that makes sausage will answer any questions you have, Try again and we will help.

CM, that is some top notch SS right there! Nice job! I like your new stuffer… that looks really nice! I am sure you’ll have that beast tamed in no time!

curious how yo finished them in the sous vide? Did you vac seal them all? Did you cut them in half to fit if you did? My casings I use are 18inch long, and Ive thought about using the sous vide to speed up the process.

curious how yo finished them in the sous vide? Did you vac seal them all? Did you cut them in half to fit if you did? My casings I use are 18inch long, and Ive thought about using the sous vide to speed up the process.
BB85. I make my SS about 15 inches long (18" casing) to fit into a party stacker cooler for SV. I do vac seal my sticks but many members do not. It just makes my finish time a "known time" for lack of a better word. I go 4 hours after smoking and they are done when I want them to be done . I'm not hanging around my smoker waiting for the IT to come up .
1704485165134.png

Last edited:
Reactions: billybob85
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky