Breakfast, Summer and Snack Sticks... big day today!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
Today was breakfast sausage, snack sticks and Summer Sausage day. Tomorrow is smoke day.
Went well today.
1000002281.jpg

1000002283.jpg
1000002284.jpg
1000002285.jpg

1000002293.jpg
1000002294.jpg
1000002295.jpg

Today was smoke day!

Having a debate with my buddy.
He's been smoking meats for 20 years. I've been doing it for two weeks.
I have read and watched videos that say to smoke your summer and snack sausages to 165 degrees.
My buddy said, no, 148 is your target because after that you are emulsifying the fat instead of having that nice fat chunks in summer and snack sticks. The nitrates from the cure make up for the need to "cook" your sausage to 165.
He has a point. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 1000002292.jpg
    1000002292.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 4
Everything looks good...

As for your buddy's suggestions... He is pretty much spot on... 152 is usually the target temp...
As he said... The fat will start rendering out the higher you go... Creating what we call "Fat Out"

My buddy said, no, 148 is your target because after that you are emulsifying the fat instead of having that nice fat chunks in summer and snack sticks
Your buddy is correct. And technically according to the USDA pasteurization charts, you can smoke to 136*F Internal temp. and hold for 30 minutes and you will achieve a LOG5 reduction in pathogens....i.e. - safe to eat. I hold for 1.5 hours just to be safe and make sure links hanging in all corners of the smokehouse have achieved this temp. It is a LOG7 or higher reduction in pathogens at this point. I get no fat out. and the sausages are safe to eat.

Reactions: kevinwi
Another way to think of a LOG7 reduction is that if there were 1,000,000 (1 million) bacteria in one sausage, at the end of pasteurizing there @136*F for one hour, there would theoretically only be 1 bacteria left........

Reactions: kevinwi
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky