Sausage time again

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
At it again today. The wife and I made a 36 pound batch of the family sausage to fill in the corners in the freezer. I took 20 pounds bulk out and added pink salt to it. Tomorrow morning I'll stuff it into 18-20 mm sheep casings and toss into the smoker for a soak in TBS for a while.
Tally so far:
88 pounds Italian
28 pounds breakfast
30 pounds snack sticks
Also forgot I smoked 14 pounds of x-sharp cheddar a couple weeks ago too.

Attachments

• 1221231727.jpg
    1221231727.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1221231718a.jpg
    1221231718a.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: 02ebz06
At it again today. The wife and I made a 36 pound batch of the family sausage to fill in the corners in the freezer. I took 20 pounds bulk out and added pink salt to it. Tomorrow morning I'll stuff it into 18-20 mm sheep casings and toss into the smoker for a soak in TBS for a while.
Tally so far:
88 pounds Italian
28 pounds breakfast
30 pounds snack sticks
Also forgot I smoked 14 pounds of x-sharp cheddar a couple weeks ago too.
You've been a busy man and it all looks good...

Thanks for the likes everyone. I'm the good looking one in the dark shirt. It has been over 2 years, so making stuff has been fun again.
The sausage recipe came over from Italy with my great grand parents over 100 years ago. I'm 71 and have been helping make or making the sausage myself since I was 2.
It was a family affair every fall at my grandparent's house. The whole family, aunt's, uncle's, cousins all gathered for a day of sausage making. Everyone helped, with the little kids poking the casings with a needle. The real honor was turning the crank on the grinder when you got big and old enough.
The mix is simple, just 4 ingredients.

18 pounds ground shoulder (50/50 pork venison works good too)
1 cup fennel séed
3/4 cup paprika
1/2 cup salt (or to taste)
1/3 cup crushed red pepper (or to taste)
1-2 pints ice water

I grind twice through a 3/8" plate, then stuff.

The breakfast sausage is Fassett's recipe, however I added 1 ounce each of onion and garlic powder to the bulk mix.
8 ounces salt
2 ounces sage
1 ounce coarse ground black pepper
1 ounce onion powder
1 ounce granulated garlic

Add 1/2 ounce of spices to 1 pound of meat.

The snack sticks are an experiment. I ground a single batch of the family sausage, then pulled 10 pounds aside. I did the second grind through a 3/16" plate and added 2 teaspoons of cure 1. I stuffed it into 18-20mm sheep casings.
Smoked/cooked at temps running from 130 to 170 over 4 hours till I got 152 degrees internal, then lowered the heat to 150 for 4 hours to dry them out some. The flavor of the sausage is incredible when dried some.
The sticks have been a hit with everyone so far.

After being away from the smoker and sausage kitchen due to a few health problems, I'm back. Last week I bought two cases of pork shoulder 144 pounds worth. My brother came over and we turned out 72 pounds of our family Italian sausage for the holidays and winter.
We hooked up the next day and made 28 pounds of breakfast sausage.
On the third day I stuffed 10 pounds of snack sticks for the smoker.
Wore out, but happy with a full freezer.
Been forever posting photos. Hope they post.
So you used the same recipe as the Italian for your snack sticks? Only difference is the smoking process, casings...? I haven't seen anyone reduce the heat back down to dry snack sticks. Sounds like a great idea.

So you used the same recipe as the Italian for your snack sticks? Only difference is the smoking process, casings...? I haven't seen anyone reduce the heat back down to dry snack sticks. Sounds like a great idea.
It’s easier to finish with the smoke and final IT then rest them a day in fridge then cut to length and wrap in red butcher paper and fridge rest a week or more for drying. I usually just use a brown paper grocery bag.

Yes. I've been searching for a good snack stick recipe for a long time. Just for kicks I did some with the family mix last year. It was close, but something was missing. The extra time in the smoker was the key. I need to make some kind of drying chamber for the sausage. The flavor difference between fresh and dry is amazing. That is what woke up me snack sticks.
Believe it or not, the freezer is getting empty. Be making more of everything soon.

P.S Thanks to everyone for the likes, Bob.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky