Last nites smoke got a little scary

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flattop

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 27, 2007
Falls Church, VA
I posted this on another site I'm on. Felt like this site is even more appropriate to post this on.

Here are a few pic's of tonights smoke. In the past I have used Kingsford charcoal. I have used lump charcoal in the past and decided to use the lump today. The first couple of loads everything went as normal as every other time.

For some reason I decided to babysit the coals as they lit up.

I am so glad I did. I've never seen the spark's that i did tonight. Honestly is made me a little nervous. I saw the sparkler images floating thru the air. Grabbed the hose, just in case. And then the camera.

It was crackling and popping more then any campfire I've every seen or heard.

Sorry but no pic's of the meat.....yet.

realcharcoal1hn5.jpg

realcharcoal3bf4.jpg

realcharcoal4je1.jpg

realcharcoal7du1.jpg

There is no doubt that lump burns at a much higher temps then briquets. And this is why I'm posting this. Be aware of the fuel your using and keep a close eye on it.

HAPPY BBQ'n

Kingsford lump? Sure looks like it. Try another brand!
Kingsford produced the following review from The Naked Whiz's Lump Charcoal Database -

"It was like 100 sparklers going off in my grill and it continued until the last piece burned out. Naturally I could not cook anything on that, but cleanup of horrible. It took me about 30 minutes just to get the grill inside, outside and everything surrounding clean up of ash that went everywhere. I thought I had a small volcano erupting in my backyard."

The Whiz also reported pork chops covered with tiny gritty pieces of charcoal.
Check it out -

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I had the same problem and posted it also its always a good Idea to keep an eye and a hose when you use new lump for the first time.
Good Luck and Good Smoking
Redbrinkman1955
icon_smile.gif

The only time I had that happen was when I poured the dust from the bottom of the bag in with the last of the lump. I thought it was a cool show.

Good thing your water hose was within reach, thank's for the heads-up safety tip.

Well that changes the way I start my charcoal. Only use Royal Oak, but a close eye will be on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky