I am getting a little to serious about peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
11.10.23 in post #35 I mentioned microwaving the soil you can search to kill White Fly, Aphid and Gnat etc eggs for indoor potting soil. I have a Katchy black light vacuum from Amazon for attracting fruit flys, Gnats, Mosquitos and Moths. House flies will go to it but it has to be on 24/7 since they are dormant at night. The pests dehydrate and stick to a tacky disposable disk that is optional. I make my own from Raid window Fly clear sticky strips.

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I tried to grow some salsa peppers and jalapeño peppers last year. My cucumbers went crazy and crowded them out and I hardly got any. Not sure I had enough bee visitors either. The plants didn’t die they grew but nothing was produced. Weird.

White fly and aphids are serious plant pests. Gnats, common flies, etc are good for plants as they pollinate almost as well as the nectar gathering insects. Problem is they are pests that feed on humans or annoy us.
Best to kill them all and hand pollinate your blossoms for indoor plants. Once outdoor the critters will do the job.
I tried to grow some salsa peppers and jalapeño peppers last year. My cucumbers went crazy and crowded them out and I hardly got any. Not sure I had enough bee visitors either. The plants didn’t die they grew but nothing was produced. Weird.
I didn't check the companion (friendly) plant listing, but I trellis cucumber to keep away from the other garden plants. Not sure why your peppers didn't produce

White fly and aphids are serious plant pests. Gnats, common flies, etc are good for plants as they pollinate almost as well as the nectar gathering insects. Problem is they are pests that feed on humans or annoy us.
Best to kill them all and hand pollinate your blossoms for indoor plants. Once outdoor the critters will do the job.

I didn't check the companion (friendly) plant listing, but I trellis cucumber to keep away from the other garden plants. Not sure why your peppers didn't produce
This reminds me I have a Mason Bee house from last Spring I need to put outside that is about to hatch in my garage. Pollinators!

Reactions: Fueling Around

I am guessing you are too far North. Peppers do not need pollinators. The plants had enough time to mature but not enough to produce peppers.

It is like my test late October. I planted peppers in a vertical planter just to see how they would do. I knew it was too late in the year for any production but was only to see what I can expect this year. They are still there but not looking so well. I did get some peppers but they were small. It doesn't get cold enough here in the winter to kill them but stunts the growth pretty bad.

Depending on how they do in the next month I will let them grow again but if they don't improve I will remove them and plant what I am growing indoors in their place. I should have plenty of room either way.

Reactions: tpc74
I will slowly change the lighting so I don't shock the plants too much.

For now the main lights will stay on the 12 hour cycle.

The strip lights I changed to start two hours before and end two hours after the main lights and run the entire time.

I will see how this effects the plants and change it depending on how they are affected by the change.

Reactions: nlife
This reminds me I have a Mason Bee house from last Spring I need to put outside that is about to hatch in my garage. Pollinators!
I put up one of those in the flower bed as they were nesting in the soil and I disturbed them when weeding. Garden is loaded with bumblebees

Reactions: dr k
I will slowly change the lighting so I don't shock the plants too much.

For now the main lights will stay on the 12 hour cycle.

The strip lights I changed to start two hours before and end two hours after the main lights and run the entire time.

I will see how this effects the plants and change it depending on how they are affected by the change.
Will these go outside for natural light?
I've found that once outside they shock for a bit, but settle in pretty well.

I wouldn't worry about shocking the plants with the lights you have. When you put them out into the sun for the first time, well that's a different story...

Thanks guys. When I bring them outside it will be for a few hours a day for about a week until I plant them in the tower.

Reactions: dr k
I am guessing you are too far North. Peppers do not need pollinators. The plants had enough time to mature but not enough to produce peppers.

It is like my test late October. I planted peppers in a vertical planter just to see how they would do. I knew it was too late in the year for any production but was only to see what I can expect this year. They are still there but not looking so well. I did get some peppers but they were small. It doesn't get cold enough here in the winter to kill them but stunts the growth pretty bad.

Depending on how they do in the next month I will let them grow again but if they don't improve I will remove them and plant what I am growing indoors in their place. I should have plenty of room either way.
That’s interesting because I’ve had great success with jalapeños in the past and I have a friend who does all kinds of different ones and never has an issue. I don’t know if they are outside or inside under lamps, I’ve never seen their setup (just had the salsa haha).

That’s interesting because I’ve had great success with jalapeños in the past and I have a friend who does all kinds of different ones and never has an issue. I don’t know if they are outside or inside under lamps, I’ve never seen their setup (just had the salsa haha).
Indoors with still air and no fans makes you the bee with a couple of the nightshade family fruits. Definitely the tomatoes and peppers. Egg plant and Goji berrys not sure and potatoes are spuds self producing but I don't know about the above ground growth. Aerogarden mentioned with being the bee with tomato and pepper indoor growth to have a fan going like natural wind, being self pollinating or get a tool like they sell that is basically a child's electronic tooth brush or a small facial hair trimmer to put against the flower stem to release pollen. I made two from hair trimmers an they work great with the Aerogarden Heirloom Cherry tomatoes. I produced flushes of them for 14 months indoors from the same plants. I've never tried peppers in the Aerogarden but may try since I have chocolate Habanero seeds from my two plants and nothing else growing to cross with them. My 2018 Carolina Reapers are great but didn't have that longer wicked tail I'd like with my Aerogarden. I need a truer variety seed. Also, I need to search how super hots grow in them. I use to grow all six pods at a time but learned after the first use to use only the four corner pods and keep the middle two vacant in each Harvest unit for root growth and keep the vacant holes covered. Golf balls are easy to put over vacant holes to keep the light out so no Algae.

Last edited:
OK I'm in even deeper now. Picked up a dehydrator.

food_dehydrator.jpg

Reactions: nlife and ShawnM
After sitting in the sun for 11 days they dried out nicely. I ran them thru a coffee grinder and it turned out well.

2024_dehydrated_peppers_004.jpg

I added some to scrambled eggs this morning.

2024_dehydrated_peppers_005.jpg

1AM and I got a little hungry. I sliced up a chicken breast and sprinkled on some Kider's Garlic and Herb and added some of the pepper flakes. The mixture of hot and mild peppers is really working out great.

2024_dehydrated_peppers_006.jpg

A few minutes later...

2024_dehydrated_peppers_007.jpg

A nice snack for a late night. More chicken for later.

2024_dehydrated_peppers_008.jpg

Chicken bites, Spicy garlic pickles, Walker's shortbread, green apple and salted cherry tomatoes.

Reactions: mlh5953 and 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky