I am getting a little to serious about peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris_in_SoCal

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 18, 2012
SCV - So Cal
I am loving the different peppers I have been trying and am interested in growing varieties I would never find in a store near me.

I have purchased a bunch of different seeds I think I might like. I will set up a grow station in my garage with warmers and grow lights so I can start them now. I will replant them outside in vertical barrels in the spring so they can do their thing. I am in a climate that can grow them almost year round. Just not now until February. Most of the seeds are high yield in the 90% range but a few are less because there are no other options. Wish me luck.

What I have so far.

Tobasco
Sweet Red Cherry Pepper
Wiri Wiri Red
Wiri Wiri Yellow
Red Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Black Pearl
Quintisho Red
Garden Salsa
Sweet Golden Macaroni
Sweet Banana Pepper
Fresno
Italian Jimmy Nardello

Wow Chris , that is some list. It's going to be a spicy year for you next year.
That will be some crop of peppers

I had a small green house in the backyard of the last home we had. Our growing season is shorter for a lot of different things.
I had it set up with heat temps and misters on timers and a small tent inside for germinating . I would start it up in February for the growing season.
Wish I was into the peppers back then.

David

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
The sweet peppers along with the hotter ones make a great dried pepper blend .
I had one Tabasco plant a few years back , and that thing went nuts . I have them all dried in the pantry .
Another one I grew that years was Garden salsa . Great pepper for fresh salsa out of the garden . They ripen pretty quick , so you get reds and green peppers . Mild on the heat scale .

You will need some separation to keep from cross pollination, you might want to read up on that and see what you can find out. A lot of times you will end up with something not as good as either parent,

Chris, there is no way to get too serious about peppers. If you don't believe me, just as jcam222 jcam222 I'm sure he will set you straight :emoji_laughing: Can't wait to see what you do with all of those things.

Robert

You will need some separation to keep from cross pollination, you might want to read up on that and see what you can find out. A lot of times you will end up with something not as good as either parent,
If he doesn't save seeds from growing plants together and buys them shouldn't the plant be true to it's planted seed? Just wondering. I heard about flowers changing colors the same year.

I am loving the different peppers I have been trying and am interested in growing varieties I would never find in a store near me.

I have purchased a bunch of different seeds I think I might like. I will set up a grow station in my garage with warmers and grow lights so I can start them now. I will replant them outside in vertical barrels in the spring so they can do their thing. I am in a climate that can grow them almost year round. Just not now until February. Most of the seeds are high yield in the 90% range but a few are less because there are no other options. Wish me luck.

What I have so far.

Tobasco
Sweet Red Cherry Pepper
Wiri Wiri Red
Wiri Wiri Yellow
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Black Pearl
Quintisho Red
Garden Salsa
Sweet Golden Macaroni
Sweet Banana Pepper
Fresno
Italian Jimmy Nardello
Look foreward to results. too bad we can't grow shit down here in deep S Florida.

• Sad

What I have so far.

Tobasco
Sweet Red Cherry Pepper
Wiri Wiri Red
Wiri Wiri Yellow
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Black Pearl
Quintisho Red
Garden Salsa
Sweet Golden Macaroni
Sweet Banana Pepper
Fresno
Italian Jimmy Nardello
Quite a variety of peppers, puts a smile on my face. Will be following this as well. I have several super hot seeds I will start early for next season. Saving a couple ghost and habanero plants from this season as well. Good luck with this project

I believe most pepper plants are self pollinating. I was watching Pepper Geek on Youtube for varieties I might be interested. They have may varieties all next to each other so I think I will be OK.

Like dr k dr k said cross contamination might occur if I was to cultivate the seeds.

Reactions: ShawnM
I've been told that wild spontaneous cross pollination of peppers is extremely rare. I thought I had a plant this year presenting a cross of my ghost and chocolate habanero. When I inquired about it I was told that by someone who does a lot of pepper crosses intentionally. That said it's something I have written down to research further.

What I have so far.

Tobasco
Sweet Red Cherry Pepper
Wiri Wiri Red
Wiri Wiri Yellow
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Black Pearl
Quintisho Red
Garden Salsa
Sweet Golden Macaroni
Sweet Banana Pepper
Fresno
Italian Jimmy Nardello
That is awesome.

I cleaned out the closet space above my 3D printers and extended the shelf so I get my grow on. There are two heat mats and 30W of LED lighting. It is very bright at the default level. It has 10 light levels as well as a built in timer.

2023_growing_peppers_002.jpg

The first 8 seeds were planted in rows.

2023_growing_peppers_003.jpg

I cleaned out the closet space above my 3D printers and extended the shelf so I get my grow on. There are two heat mats and 30W of LED lighting. It is very bright at the default level. It has 10 light levels as well as a built in timer.

View attachment 679856
The first 8 seeds were planted in rows.

View attachment 679857
That's is perfect for what I am wanting to do. Thanks for sharing this

Nice selection

Are you interested in any Asian varieties or can you source from the local growers?
Too late for this year, but I have about 1/2 dozen Asian seeds at home. Think about it for next year.

Too hot in south Florida for peppers. Plants won't set fruit.
I asked because many of these super hots are native to extremely hot areas. Scotch bonnet for example flourish in Jamaica.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky