I am getting a little to serious about peppers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice selection

Are you interested in any Asian varieties or can you source from the local growers?
Too late for this year, but I have about 1/2 dozen Asian seeds at home. Think about it for next year.

Too hot in south Florida for peppers. Plants won't set fruit.

I see youtube videos of them growing in Central Florida, is it that different?

I asked because many of these super hots are native to extremely hot areas. Scotch bonnet for example flourish in Jamaica.

I see youtube videos of them growing in Central Florida, is it that different?
I'm not an expert on agriculture.
What I've learned on Datil peppers in central Florida is it takes a lot of moisture and shade cloth to get a crop in the summer . Any further south is too hot too long.
Super hots are selective hybrids. I grew some in MN and noticed they stopped blooming when the summers hit the 90's. It took some 80's before the blossoms appeared.

That's a full on pepper patch. Placed and order myself this week.

%2F1260%2Fproducts%2Fsuper-bhut-jolokia-JW-2_small.jpg
1x Super Bhut Jolokia JW
%2F1145%2F1260%2Fproducts%2Faji-lemon-drop-2_small.jpg
1x Aji Lemon Drop
14-2437-d536-1cd8-db000b015e00&sig=aTrjUsfi4hY5NBV.jpg
1x Ring of Fire
1%2F1145%2F1260%2Fproducts%2Forange-ribbon-5_small.jpg
1x Orange Ribbon

Had to give the Ghost & Cheyanne pepper a go next season. I run a similar seed starting set-up. I start them in a wet paper towel on the heating pad (just 1 pad) you can fit a lot of baggies on it and do multiple starts. Doesn't really matter if the Poblanos are 2 weeks behind the Aji's. Once sprouted they go right into 3" pots. I have (3) 2' LED grow lights to supplement the light through the window. Being in the Denver area all this starts in Mar. they go out to the garden mothers day. Then pray to the sky for no hail.

I can tolerate the Fresno on that list. I make a fermented hot sauce with garlic with it that is popular in my circle. Have you thought of trying that for your explosive mix? It's great for keeping the heat going all year long till the next harvest.
1000009664.jpg

Reactions: Chris_in_SoCal
I can tolerate the Fresno on that list. I make a fermented hot sauce with garlic with it that is popular in my circle. Have you thought of trying that for your explosive mix? It's great for keeping the heat going all year long till the next harvest.View attachment 680250

Those look tasty. I plan on making a lot of sauces with them. I have made sriracha, habinaro pineapple and a few more.

Reactions: jdranchman
That's a full on pepper patch. Placed and order myself this week.

View attachment 6802431x Super Bhut Jolokia JW
View attachment 6802441x Aji Lemon Drop
View attachment 6802451x Ring of Fire
View attachment 6802461x Orange Ribbon

Had to give the Ghost & Cheyanne pepper a go next season. I run a similar seed starting set-up. I start them in a wet paper towel on the heating pad (just 1 pad) you can fit a lot of baggies on it and do multiple starts. Doesn't really matter if the Poblanos are 2 weeks behind the Aji's. Once sprouted they go right into 3" pots. I have (3) 2' LED grow lights to supplement the light through the window. Being in the Denver area all this starts in Mar. they go out to the garden mothers day. Then pray to the sky for no hail.
Wow I want some of those Super Bhuts
The winner of the first out of the gate is good old number 6. Tobasco.

View attachment 680452
That was a fast sprout. Mine is on the way 🙂

I received my seeds today. Not only did he average 25 seeds per/I was gifted 2 extra varieties. The same thing happened last time I ordered from him. He tossed in Rino & Devils Nagabrains Red this time.
1699493973751.png
1699494102239.png

Attachments

• 20231108_182231.jpg
    20231108_182231.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 17
This indoor grow idea is really working out great so far. I added vinyl to the shelf to protect the wood from water. I also bought some cheap sheet pans for when they move to planter boxes.

I also raised the lights up since the were burning the plants on the right. Screws were added since the double sided tape was failing. They are on a timer to run 8 hours a day for now.

2023_growing_peppers_006.jpg

It's only been a little over a week and seven varieties are sprouting.

Sweet Banana
Red Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Sweet Red Cherry
Tabasco
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Wiri Wiri Red
Sweet Golden Macaroni

I was most worried about the Wiri Wiri Red because there were a lot of bad reviews with people saying they never germinated.

I also bought a few more varieties.

Wiri Wiri Yellow
Black Pearl
Italian Jimmy Nardello
Wiri Wiri Red (from the dried peppers I bought)
Fresno
Habinada
Thai (from store bought)
Purple Jalapeno

Not delivered yet

Quintisho Red
Jaloro Hot

I ended up getting two small plants instead of seeds for the Salsa pepper.

This indoor grow idea is really working out great so far. I added vinyl to the shelf to protect the wood from water. I also bought some cheap sheet pans for when they move to planter boxes.

I also raised the lights up since the were burning the plants on the right. Screws were added since the double sided tape was failing. They are on a timer to run 8 hours a day for now.

View attachment 680669

It's only been a little over a week and seven varieties are sprouting.

Sweet Banana
Red Jamaican Scotch Bonnet
Sweet Red Cherry
Tabasco
Hot Scotch Bonnet Yellow
Wiri Wiri Red
Sweet Golden Macaroni

I was most worried about the Wiri Wiri Red because there were a lot of bad reviews with people saying they never germinated.

I also bought a few more varieties.

Wiri Wiri Yellow
Black Pearl
Italian Jimmy Nardello
Wiri Wiri Red (from the dried peppers I bought)
Fresno
Habinada
Thai (from store bought)
Purple Jalapeno

Not delivered yet

Quintisho Red
Jaloro Hot

I ended up getting two small plants instead of seeds for the Salsa pepper.
The plants on the right look like a good 6"+ from the light but the the other trays will get leggy seedlings reaching to the light unless you customize, lower the height of each light cluster.

The plants on the right look like a good 6"+ from the light but the the other trays will get leggy seedlings reaching to the light unless you customize, lower the height of each light cluster.
What is the optimal distance for the light to be from the plant / seedlings?

What is the optimal distance for the light to be from the plant / seedlings?
My aerogardens are 4" above or at the lowest setting to germinate, then keep at that height 15 hours a day. After the four true sets of leaves after the cotyledon embryonic original one or two smooth leaves you can top them so they spread. No problem with cool LED and you can search to keep from not getting leggy seedlings till mature. But hardening off is a slow long process when going outside next year and the leaves can burn and turn silver and die so search that as well after under artificial lights. and keep your eye out for aphids under leaves if you didn't microwave your moist potting soil first bc the eggs of aphids, white flies and such are everywhere in soil waiting for your over wintering warm home. You can take the 16 oz potted plants with aphids and rinse under water but it is a PIA. Been there did that so microwaving soil before indoor planting is key.

These lights are way brighter than the typical indoor lights and at first I only lifted the right side where the plants were. By the high condensation and the fast drying out of the soil I thought it was best to raise the whole light bar. So far it has worked out well. I can change it at any time.

I feel like a kid at Christmas since every day I see more seeds spawning. I never had this much luck with seeds before. I always bought plants in containers since I had trouble growing from seeds.

Reactions: dr k
My aerogardens are 4" above or at the lowest setting to germinate, then keep at that height 15 hours a day. After the four true sets of leaves after the cotyledon embryonic original one or two smooth leaves you can top them so they spread. No problem with cool LED and you can search to keep from not getting leggy seedlings till mature. But hardening off is a slow long process when going outside next year and the leaves can burn and turn silver and die so search that as well after under artificial lights. and keep your eye out for aphids under leaves if you didn't microwave your moist potting soil first bc the eggs of aphids, white flies and such are everywhere in soil waiting for your over wintering warm home. You can take the 16 oz potted plants with aphids and rinse under water but it is a PIA. Been there did that so microwaving soil before indoor planting is key.
Thank you for the great break down of information. I never realized just how much went into starting seeds at home.

I have at least one sprout of each seed I have planted so far. Some with multiple sprouts. I did lose a couple so I moved the lights even higher. Soon I will start moving the larger ones to 4" containers. The oldest ones were planted Oct 31 and more added every few days. 23 and 24 were just planted today.

2023_growing_peppers_013.jpg

2023_growing_peppers_014.jpg

2023_growing_peppers_015.jpg

The Salsa pepper plants have grown well since they were delivered.

2023_growing_peppers_016.jpg

Reactions: jdranchman
I have at least one sprout of each seed I have planted so far. Some with multiple sprouts. I did lose a couple so I moved the lights even higher. Soon I will start moving the larger ones to 4" containers. The oldest ones were planted Oct 31 and more added every few days. 23 and 24 were just planted today.

View attachment 681929

View attachment 681930

View attachment 681931

The Salsa pepper plants have grown well since they were delivered.

View attachment 681932
Pure delight coming your way with all those sprouting.

A few of the pepper plants have got large enough to move to larger pots. It was also time to stop using a sharpie with a number to keep track of the plants.

I had replaced the computer in the garage a while ago for the CNC, Laser cutter and other stuff but got a little lazy about adding all the programs into it and getting it working.

I spent some time yesterday getting my laser cutter/engraver working again. Once I got it working I made a simple template with pop cycle sticks to make labels for the peppers.

2023_laser_engraver_template.jpg

They worked out pretty well but I learned fast how the darker colors burn through the plastic faster than the lighter colors. An easy adjustment.

2023_growing_peppers_018.jpg

2023_growing_peppers_017.jpg

I also added a fan to this ongoing grow.

2023_growing_peppers_019.jpg

Reactions: Cajun Smokes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky