Grilling some wings question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Hi all. I’m grilling some wings tomorrow (my masterbuilt only goes to 275) I whipped up some franks, Italian dressing and butter for sauce, my question is should I soak the wings in that for a little before I put it on the grill. And does anyone have any recommendations for an easy run to throw on? Just got back from being gone for 4 months so don’t have too many spices.

Hi all. I’m grilling some wings tomorrow (my masterbuilt only goes to 275) I whipped up some franks, Italian dressing and butter for sauce, my question is should I soak the wings in that for a little before I put it on the grill. And does anyone have any recommendations for an easy run to throw on? Just got back from being gone for 4 months so don’t have too many spices.

Sure - marinating the wings in the suace should be fine. Not sure how much flavor they will pick up in just a short time, though.

I've had better luck with dry brines with wings / drummies.

What spices / seasonings do you have on hand? At the most basic, some salt and pepper could do the trick, especially with the hot sauce you are using.

Do you have any Cajun rub? I like to use that and then apply a Frank's or other cayenne pepper sauce for the last 30min or so then a little more sauce while they cool off.

Salt, Pepper, Onion and Garlic, SPOG, is basic. Mix a Tablesoon of each. Depending on what you have, to that add a Tbs of Paprika, a Tbs of Chili Powder, a Tbs of Mustard Powder and one or more teaspoons of Cayenne, to your taste. A teaspoon each of Sage, Thyme and Oregano, go well with all above and chicken. I like adding a teaspoon of Ground Allspice as well. Gives that West Indie's Island flair...JJ

I prefer to cook them dry with just salt, pepper and baking powder so they crisp up, and then toss in the sauce at the end.

I'm with bregent, I smoke them naked as a J-bird and then toss them into whatever sauce(s) I have a hankering for.

Chris

I'm with the 2 above, although I do coat mine with EVO & a dusting of Montreal chicken seasoning. I smoke them for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours then finish them on a hot grill to get the skin crispy. Then toss them in a bowl with Frank's buffalo wing sauce & melted butter. It's a quick & easy meal!
Al

Ok guys thanks a lot. I’ll post pictures in a few hours. Gonna start separating the drums from the wings

sorry for the late reply. They turned out OK. Had the grill ready to throw them on after the smoker. the skin was pretty crisp at 275* but threw them on anyway. they picked up a lot of color they were pretty dark when I pulled them out. Tasted very smoky and I only used one tray of wood (cant remember what kind) I don't think It was apple. but mixed up some franks, butter and Italian dressing. The sauce was good but now I know to pull them earlier and put them on the grill. its just so easy in the smoker I don't have to worry about the fire flaring up just throw them in and forget them. they came with the wing and leg (I think that's what they are called) together and I tried to cut them into pieces and was struggling so I ended up just cooking most of them as a whole. definitely left room for improvement which is fine... but I love wings so probably wont wait too long to try again

We call them the Drumette, Arm and, Tip. Easiest way to separate them is, fold the arm to the drum. Place your boning knife in the small gap at the center point the joint forms. A gentle sawing motion will separate the two pieces. Repeat to remove the tip from the arm. Or leave the tip on. I like to bite away the crisp skin on the wing tip...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky