Wings….OH ………WINGS!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks eddie, wings can be a lot of work on the gill, but these pre-cut wings make it as easy as it can be......season up and grill away!

There are actually 2 functions of cornstarch, and they are the molecular level.

First, on the raw chicken the starch attracts the water at the molecular level to act as an emulsifying agent for the chicken juice and thereby helps the rub "stick" a whole bunch better. Combined with the rub its almost like a supper thick dry bbq sauce.

The second, during grilling it protects the meat by absorbing the moisture and wicking it to the surface allowing it to evaporate as the heat increases. As the moisture evaporates a "ridged network" of starch molecules is left behind creating a crispy texture (interlaced with he rub...yum)......This "crispy" texturing for wings starts happening when the INT of the wing hits 185 (after a would be stall temp of 175-180 deg) and is about perfect at 200 ish.....(this in a 375-395 degree convection oven/grill)

As an fyi we always corn starch our hand cut fries as well.

Thanks for that information. I am sure to give that a try next time I do wings.

JC :emoji_cat:

I'll have to look for it . That butter flavor in franks comes from somewhere .
I bought a little jar from Amazon because I thought it was a specialty thing..... and about a week later I was at the GS with the wife and went through the bulk section and there sits a whole shelf of gallon cans for 1/6th the price as the amazon stuff..... Live and learn.
Thanks for that information. I am sure to give that a try next time I do wings.

JC :emoji_cat:
Its worth it! Have to let me know what you think!

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks eddie, wings can be a lot of work on the gill, but these pre-cut wings make it as easy as it can be......season up and grill away!

There are actually 2 functions of cornstarch, and they are the molecular level.

First, on the raw chicken the starch attracts the water at the molecular level to act as an emulsifying agent for the chicken juice and thereby helps the rub "stick" a whole bunch better. Combined with the rub its almost like a supper thick dry bbq sauce.

The second, during grilling it protects the meat by absorbing the moisture and wicking it to the surface allowing it to evaporate as the heat increases. As the moisture evaporates a "ridged network" of starch molecules is left behind creating a crispy texture (interlaced with he rub...yum)......This "crispy" texturing for wings starts happening when the INT of the wing hits 185 (after a would be stall temp of 175-180 deg) and is about perfect at 200 ish.....(this in a 375-395 degree convection oven/grill)

As an fyi we always corn starch our hand cut fries as well.
Going to be trying this. Thanks for input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky