Clams and Wings - Vortex

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Little Elm, TX
Wife is away for a girls weekend, so I let my son pick todays dinner. He chose Chicken Wings and Clams.
I have an SPG rub I use on my wings and made up a White wine, Garlic, Butter, Lemon sauce for the clams.
8596C55B-0CFD-4643-8ADA-914E9FF538DC_1_105_c.jpeg

Put the clams on with some cherry and pecan for a nice smoke flavor
94B2A14B-89F8-40BE-B835-3D4CC151B37B_1_105_c.jpeg

The shells turned a bit yellow from the smoke, the flavor was outstanding, not overpowered by the smoke
BD3EB7ED-C6E9-4A9B-A64E-85888B6C5374_1_105_c.jpeg

Wings on next with a bit more wood
D50298C5-42A7-443F-90BD-EB114D46D538_1_105_c.jpeg

3913AC68-1CD4-4014-9354-2921AE150511_1_105_c.jpeg

Turned out perfect, with a nice bit of smoke and crisp from the Vortex!

Smoke ON!

Jason

Nice looking cook Jason. I don't think I've ever seen clams done that way.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris,
I have done them on the grill before, first time with the vortex and the wood. It was really good and this will be my go to for Clams in the future!
Wings look great pass on the clams, but like Chris said first for me seeing on the grill.
But I have cooked them right on the coals in a fire wrapped in foil same as Lobster, for the family not me though. I will cook them just not eat.

David
Thanks David, Clams are not for everyone, glad you will cook them for the family. Wings were really good and crisp.
Count me in on those clams!!
You bet!
Kudos to your son for picking clams. Never tried them on the kettle.
For the price of live clams around here, I get my fill for less money at a local Chinese Buffet.
Wings are spot on
Yeah, he loves them and with the price we only did 2 dozen, it was a nice treat.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Wife is away for a girls weekend, so I let my son pick todays dinner. He chose Chicken Wings and Clams.
I have an SPG rub I use on my wings and made up a White wine, Garlic, Butter, Lemon sauce for the clams.View attachment 679129
Put the clams on with some cherry and pecan for a nice smoke flavor
View attachment 679130
The shells turned a bit yellow from the smoke, the flavor was outstanding, not overpowered by the smoke
View attachment 679131
Wings on next with a bit more wood
View attachment 679132
View attachment 679133
Turned out perfect, with a nice bit of smoke and crisp from the Vortex!

Smoke ON!

Jason
Simple but tasty. Whenever my wife leaves, it reminds me of that Seinfeld episode were George's fiancé leaves and he called it "the summer of George".

Reactions: millerbuilds
Memory finally kicked in
When I lived on the west coast crabbing was the thing with a family that adopted me.
One of the uncles brought a bag of oysters that were cooked on the camp fire.
I love clams and mussels but not oysters.
I live in the East Bay Area, I actually just picked up my 5th wheel trailer today to get ready for our yearly trip to Bodega Bay for the crab opener. We have a big group of people that goes up every year, 5 boats, at least 10 commercial crab pots per boat. We always get limits/ 10 per person of big Dungeness crab, and we always buy a couple bushels of the medium sized oysters to grill eat raw and grilled on the half shell with a little Tabasco, lemon, butter, parsley, and garlic or a little BBQ sauce with Tabasco. YUMMM!!!!!

We buy the oysters fresh off the harvest boats in Tomales Bay. There is only one seafood that I've tried that I can think of that I don't care for that is Uni, even fresh out of the ocean harvested by myself, they taste like my dive booty to me. LOL!!!

The crab opener is the second week of November, I'll eat so much craband oysters that week that I won't want to eat it again for a few months. I frick'in LOVE fresh crab and oysters, they are my favorite things to eat, as long as it's fresh. I can't hang with frozen or canned seafood, I'm spoiled by living on the Cali. coast as far as seafood goes, besides that, this State is a pile of steaming cow dung.

The clams look awesome to me, we grill them until they pop, then add a dollop of butter, garlic and chopped parsley to each one, either that or we shuck, batter then fry them, they kick ass both ways!!!
I'd be all over them way before the wings, and I love wings.
Sweet cook, brother!!! I'd be all over those.

Dan.

I'd try the clams (1 or 2).....but the wings would disappear quicky!

Jim
I have to fight my son for the Clams. I finished the wings today for lunch, still good flavor but the crisp was not the same when reheating in the air fryer.
Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Memory finally kicked in
When I lived on the west coast crabbing was the thing with a family that adopted me.
One of the uncles brought a bag of oysters that were cooked on the camp fire.
I love clams and mussels but not oysters.
That sounds awesome, I only like oysters raw... or I have never had them cooked right.

I live in the East Bay Area, I actually just picked up my 5th wheel trailer today to get ready for our yearly trip to Bodega Bay for the crab opener. We have a big group of people that goes up every year, 5 boats, at least 10 commercial crab pots per boat. We always get limits/ 10 per person of big Dungeness crab, and we always buy a couple bushels of the medium sized oysters to grill eat raw and grilled on the half shell with a little Tabasco, lemon, butter, parsley, and garlic or a little BBQ sauce with Tabasco. YUMMM!!!!!

We buy the oysters fresh off the harvest boats in Tomales Bay. There is only one seafood that I've tried that I can think of that I don't care for that is Uni, even fresh out of the ocean harvested by myself, they taste like my dive booty to me. LOL!!!

The crab opener is the second week of November, I'll eat so much craband oysters that week that I won't want to eat it again for a few months. I frick'in LOVE fresh crab and oysters, they are my favorite things to eat, as long as it's fresh. I can't hang with frozen or canned seafood, I'm spoiled by living on the Cali. coast as far as seafood goes, besides that, this State is a pile of steaming cow dung.

The clams look awesome to me, we grill them until they pop, then add a dollop of butter, garlic and chopped parsley to each one, either that or we shuck, batter then fry them, they kick ass both ways!!!
I'd be all over them way before the wings, and I love wings.
Sweet cook, brother!!! I'd be all over those.

Dan.
Dan,
Yep, grilled them until they popped, then drizzled a sauce of reduced white wine, garlic, butter, lemon zest and parsley over the clams. They were great.

I wish I had the access to more shell fish, we get a lot of shrimp out of Houston and some crabs and clams out of New Orleans, but that is about it.

Thanks

Reactions: forktender
Dan,
Yep, grilled them until they popped, then drizzled a sauce of reduced white wine, garlic, butter, lemon zest and parsley over the clams. They were great.

I wish I had the access to more shell fish, we get a lot of shrimp out of Houston and some crabs and clams out of New Orleans, but that is about it.

Thanks

Im not sure if my photo are uploading, I'm the one in the gray, my wife is to my right to my left is my bro inlaws girlfriend them my bro inllaw. We're up in Bodega Bay.
We caught 60 crab yesterday and 40 today. Everyone leaves with 10 crab even after we stuff ourselves with fresh cracked crab . Tonight is my favorite night it's oysters on the grill and raw for a starter then a big pot of cioppino loaded with crab, prawns, clams, and muscles.
I make a post about it when I get home next week.

The ocean has been flat calm, which is rare for the CA coast.

Good times!!!
Dan

Attachments

• 20231104_150847.jpg
    20231104_150847.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 17
Nice, I sure miss those days.
Have you ever tried splitting a crab and cleaning out the gills and guts before dropping in the Jacuzzi? Cuts the cook time way back so you don't overcook the legs waiting for the body meat to cook.
I know the crabs aren't fond of it, but it really cleans up flavor imho.

Reactions: millerbuilds
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky