Got a New Meat Injector Syringe and WOW!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tallbm

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 30, 2016
Texas
So 2 days ago I prepped two 10 pound pork butts to cure in liquid for turning into Thanksgiving hams.
When I went to inject the liquid cure my plastic injection syringe broke on me. It was a cheap one from a Tony Cachere's injectable marinade bottle from many many years ago and greatly outperformed its cheap life expectancy.

So I just put the butts/hams in the liquid and garage fridge to cure and ordered a new meat injector syringe for overnight delivery from Amazon.
After looking over the options I decided to bypass the highly rated plastic ones (way heavier duty then my broken one though) that were in the $8-9 range and instead bought an all stainless steel one for $14.

WOW, this thing was a MASSIVE upgrade. Like why did I not do this sooner. I had no idea on what I was missing out on!!!
It's heavy, all metal, and bigger, and sturdy as hell. It was a breeze to work with and I'm so glad I got it.

If you never knew you could improve on a plain cheap injector, well you definitely can and it didn't cost an arm and a legg. Once I got it and used it, I knew it was worth every penny of $14 and my pork but cure injection was a pleasant breeze.

Here is what I got, so feel free to check it out if it goes for even less during the upcoming holiday sales weekend!
JY Cookment 2oz Meat Injector Syringe

71o5CeApcOS._AC_SX569_.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one very similar to the ones pictured. It's a beast, though mine didn't come with the small brushes to clean the needles. That's a nice touch.

I eventually figured out you need to rub the 0-ring on the plunger with a bit of vegetable oil each time you use it, or else it's extremely hard to get it to move inside the barrel.

Reactions: tallbm
View attachment 681086
I can hear the maniacal laughter in the background!
That’s a heck of a set up! And a great price. Hmmm…do I need one?

Jim
Hahahah exactly!! I won't say you need one, but I won't not say you need one to make life better either :P
Holiday sales are coming. Would be a good gift recommendation for someone to get you something that doesn't break the bank ;)
I have a similar one. Agree, it's a massive upgrade from the cheapo plastic ones.
Oh such a massive upgrade! I'm glad to join the club :D

Nice score! I bought a bunch of these a few years ago.

View attachment 681088View attachment 681089

Huge upgrade from the plastic ones. I wish I could find these again. Cost 15.00 each.
Oh nice! That looks so cool with the wooden box. Yeah for $15 it's a hell of a price.
I definitely could use a new one myself.
I highly support a decision for you to get one. Holiday sales are coming so should be a little cheaper at that point :D

Reactions: Steve H
I've got one very similar to the ones pictured. It's a beast, though mine didn't come with the small brushes to clean the needles. That's a nice touch.

I eventually figured out you need to rub the 0-ring on the plunger with a bit of vegetable oil each time you use it, or else it's extremely hard to get it to move inside the barrel.
Totally a beast!
I washed mine with soap and water before I used it. The 1st pull was a little stiff but after that I think everything was wet and moved very smoothly.

Good point anyhow and I have oil to make it go as well as food grade lubricant. So I'm all set. Thanks for the insight! :D

I’ve had one for a few years and they sure are nice. Mine holds 60g of brine as I’ve measured it several times. This is good to know so you can keep track of how close you are to 10% pump.

I’ve had one for a few years and they sure are nice. Mine holds 60g of brine as I’ve measured it several times. This is good to know so you can keep track of how close you are to 10% pump.
Yeah soo nice. Wish I would have known how nice an upgrade it would be. I would have been all over this years ago lol.

And yeah nice to know for sure for those 10% pump cures!

For your next uograde get one with a pistol grip trigger handle. The one i got had multiple needles and included one with holes along the length and included cleaning brushes and a storage kit. I love it.

For your next uograde get one with a pistol grip trigger handle. The one i got had multiple needles and included one with holes along the length and included cleaning brushes and a storage kit. I love it.
I saw some but wasn't sure how they would work in the tighter spaces of my brining/curing buckets.

So 2 days ago I prepped two 10 pound pork butts to cure in liquid for turning into Thanksgiving hams.
When I went to inject the liquid cure my plastic injection syringe broke on me. It was a cheap one from a Tony Cachere's injectable marinade bottle from many many years ago and greatly outperformed its cheap life expectancy.

So I just put the butts/hams in the liquid and garage fridge to cure and ordered a new meat injector syringe for overnight delivery from Amazon.
After looking over the options I decided to bypass the highly rated plastic ones (way heavier duty then my broken one though) that were in the $8-9 range and instead bought an all stainless steel one for $14.

WOW, this thing was a MASSIVE upgrade. Like why did I not do this sooner. I had no idea on what I was missing out on!!!
It's heavy, all metal, and bigger, and sturdy as hell. It was a breeze to work with and I'm so glad I got it.

If you never knew you could improve on a plain cheap injector, well you definitely can and it didn't cost an arm and a legg. Once I got it and used it, I knew it was worth every penny of $14 and my pork but cure injection was a pleasant breeze.

Here is what I got, so feel free to check it out if it goes for even less during the upcoming holiday sales weekend!
JY Cookment 2oz Meat Injector Syringe

View attachment 681085
Mine looks the same, can't even remember the cost.

Reactions: tallbm and Steve H
While the "free" TonyC needle works in a pinch when you first get started, these cajun style injectors are simply too cheap not to own. Agree, much better performance. Perfect? No. Broadcast needle is what I use. I load mine with needle off. I am on my second and when it goes I might try that SpitJack/caulk gun style.

Mine looks the same, can't even remember the cost.
Nice, they rock for sure!

I have the exact same one, best one I have ever used!
Al
Best one I have ever used as well!

Well I sent the link to my oldest as a Christmas hint....We'll see if he takes it.

Jim
Oh awesome! I hope they get it for you. It would be a great gift :D

While the "free" TonyC needle works in a pinch when you first get started, these cajun style injectors are simply too cheap not to own. Agree, much better performance. Perfect? No. Broadcast needle is what I use. I load mine with needle off. I am on my second and when it goes I might try that SpitJack/caulk gun style.
Yeah the ToyC worked long beyond its expected lifespan.
I didn't know what I was missing without this new one.
My broadcast needle is what I used and worked VERY well.
These things are awesome!

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky