Good value thermometer to check out

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by fwismoker, Jan 19, 2015.

1. fwismoker

fwismoker Master of the Pit

Works great for a cheap therm

2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So what's the scoop on it? Where'd ya get it, do they make faster colors?

3. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

This is where I got mine for Xmas.  Great buy so far. 

Beatnikrogers gets the credit for my purchase and review of the Lavatools Thermowand from the link above.

Thermowand:                              Thermapen:

$24.99                                         $80+

accuracy +,- 0.9*F,+,- 0.4*C       accuracy +,- 0.7*F, +,- 0.4*C

4 sec. read                                  3 sec. read

-40*F+C, +482*F, +250*C           -58*F, -50*C, +572*F, +300*C

Magnetic back

Lanyard hole

Lifetime warranty

The thermowand has a lifetime warranty, open to turn on, close to turn off, auto off, antimicrobial shell, magnetic back, lanyard hole and dishwasher safe to 150*F but that will never be tested.  Like all my therms, this will just be wiped with a paper towel with soap and water or alcohol pad.  The thermowand Ice water tested at 32*F and boil tested at 211*F at an altitude of 735 ft.  It tested 98.5*F under the tongue.  So far so great!

-Kurt

4. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

The colors are hybrids that are a pastel cream which I can't identify other than white.  When I unwrapped it Xmas morning I could have puked because I couldn't Identify the color.  Kind of a red, orange and pink salmon color.  It was what I asked for so it's my baby.  After seeing the color on a You Tube review and testing it I got over it. 

-Kurt

5. dirtsailor2003

That's a heck of a price savings for almost the same spec as the thermapen. I may have to pick one up so we can give it a good run for the money!

6. dirtsailor2003

Well I'll be that was a no brainer, Amazon Prime qualified, free 2 day shipping, done! Ordered the lightning fast, super accurate Indigo Blue thermowand! Watch out!

7. fwismoker

my mint green is the speediest! ;) I was hoping it was more of a hunter green but it's all good, I just want a good therm. Lol

8. I got a Thermapen for Christmas. So far I really like it.

Happy smoken.

David

9. dirtsailor2003

Hopefully these guys hold up and perform well. I have been on the brink of the thermapen but just couldn't justify the cost after buying the iGrill2. For $25 though it's a no brainer!

10. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I always wonder what's the reason for the difference in price between a Thermapen and a Thermowand, or even between the latter and a CDN? I understand that the Thermapen is made in England but both of the other two are made in China, and I imagine the same electrical and other components are used in all three.

11. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

There's a cool video on you tube "how a thermapen is made."

-kurt

12. daricksta

daricksta Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I posted a link to it in another thread. Wonder if these less expensive knockoffs are made the same way?

13. dirtsailor2003

Man these things are fast! Ordered Wednesday and Blam it's here! I'll give it a test this evening when I get home!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smoke away!!!

14. dirtsailor2003

Magnet works!

[​IMG]

Smoke away!!!

15. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

There are many that look similar to the Thermapen.  Since Thermapens have been around for quite awhile I'm sure many companies have dissected them and copied what wasn't patented.  The Thermowand has been out 10 months.

16. dr k

dr k Master of the Pit

17. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

My Thermapen works great too, for a few years now!!

However if I didn't already have it I would probably get one of these for that much cheaper price.

I got the Blaze orange, which is not only the fastest, but it's also the hardest to lose, and if like me, you live and smoke in a wooded area where hunting is allowed the blaze orange could also save your life!!![​IMG]

Bear

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  18. Hello my friend.  Long time no speak.  Hope you and those you love are well.  Will check this therm out.  Looks a good product.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

19. fwismoker

love the blue Case!