Thermometer and probe protection in the rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

msstatedawg

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Cordova, TN
See pic. This is what I do with my digital thermometer when smoking in the rain. It works fine but I worry about the probes. The instructions warn to not let them get wet.

Any of you have a better suggestion?

IMG_6430.jpeg

You are doing exactly what I do. The probes have not suffered in the Oregon rain. In fact, I wash them every smoke.

Small clear plastic tote made for shoes is what I used before I had an awning. Cut an opening, or punch a hole, in the plastic and run the probe wire through it. Put the lid on and get busy smoking/cooking/grilling.

If the probe ends are in the smoker/cooker, you'll be fine. The wires inside of the metal mesh "jacket" are insulated and going to be water resistant. The main thing is not to SOAK the probe ends where water can migrate into them thus changing the resistance. Think about this, the probes get "wet" every time you stick them into a piece of meat, you just don't push them in so far as to get where the wires go in.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky