first time for pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gbennett21

Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
wichita,ks
Hay guys I've been apart of this site for a few days been reading every day all day
Love the idea's and the pic of smoke meat great site. I do have problem ive been smoking this pork butt sense 7am and it is 7.5 pounds started at 225 for 6 to 7 hrs i just got a cajun injecter elec smoker as a gift thats what the wife could afford i here its not the best I have another the monitor and then checking with it too I know I've been around 200 to 230 degrees this hole time I check my meat with adigital thermometers and it's been reading 160 for the last 2 hours it's now 830 pm and is this right? and also family is ready to eat I turned temp up to 240 about 1hr ago still not moving in temp very fast what about puting in hd foil good ide or bad?

Unfortunately you are right on schedule figuring 2 hrs/Lb at 225*F. Wrap that Butt in Foil with anything you have, some Water, Apple Juice, Beer, whatever and stick it in a 325-350*F oven. It will finish in a shorter amount of time but still quite late. I would suggest letting it hit 200*F IT and resting it 1-2 hours, wrapped in foil, towels and placed in a cooler, then Pulling, Cooling, Bagging and Refer it until tomorrow. In the mean time ask the Mrs. to make a McD's run or pick up Pizza. You will all enjoy the Pork tomorrow...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks for info I'm still learning new to this smoking thing but love cooking Im afraid if I put it in oven it's going to lose its tenderness I can tell right now it's starting to be real tender that's pretty funny about McDonalds kids will enjoy though

Last edited:
My first butt was ready so late it caused drama with my lady that night.  Can't be rushed just gotta roll with the smoke. 

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

If you have any questions about the forums or need any help navigating around don’t hesitate to ask or send me a PM, I am more than happy to help out!

JJ is spot on and if you foil with a little liquid you will not lose any tenderness, you will probably gain some.

Most butts and other large cuts will hit a "stall" around 160* and can sit there for hours before the temp starts climbing again. Wrapping in foil will help push it through the stall.

Wow thanks guys Im so glad this site is active and people are willing to help.Feels like im going to be learning alot from you guys thanks once things are done I will post pics

Thanks for info I'm still learning new to this smoking thing but love cooking Im afraid if I put it in oven it's going to lose its tenderness I can tell right now it's starting to be real tender that's pretty funny about McDonalds kids will enjoy though
I been doing this a long time and would not steer you wrong. I gave the McD's recommendation because I Been There, Did That!  Nothing worse than a bunch of Hungry Kids and Wife wanting to know, " WHAT'S TAKING SO LONG!?! "...JJ

At what temp do i start to pull meat its been resting for an hr or more is there a temp I should wait for or anything. Thanks for your help with this

Once the temp starts to fall is good. Remember; it is still HOT ! You might want to use gloves or forks. After  pulling/ shreadding, let the termp come down to warm, then place in fridge.

Mike

Once the temp starts to fall is good. Remember; it is still HOT ! You might want to use gloves or forks. After  pulling/ shreadding, let the termp come down to warm, then place in fridge.

Mike
What Mike said. The best method for cooling and storing is, put the meat in Gallon Zip Bags or a 9 X 13 pan and flatten to 2-3" thick and cover if using pans. Then put in the Refer to get cold. To reheat, you can add Apple Juice and/or Finishing Sauce to the Pork and place it in a Crock Pot on High until it gets up to 165*F...OR...Put a folded Towel in a Pot of Simmering water and place the bag of pork and sauce in the water and heat in the bag to 165*F...OR...Sauce the meat in the pan, cover with foil and reheat in a 325*F Oven until an IT of 165*F is reached. Don't use the Microwave unless only heating 1-2 portions. Here is my fav Finishing Sauce...JJ

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. Let rest, at room temp, 30 minutes for the flavors to meld together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky