Featured First Dance with Whole Smoked Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Leave whole (5 ribs per rack), or cut up individually?

• Cut Up Individually

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cinnamonkc

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 7, 2008
New Hampshire
Hi,
I stumbled across several racks of whole beef short ribs. There’s about five ribs per rack and I’m going to smoke them for a little gathering I’m having tomorrow. I’m still vacillating on whether I’m going to leave them whole or cut them up first. They are about 2 inches high. I have seen people post that both methods have turned out successfully. I like the idea of bark all the way around instead of just on top.
I will be rubbing them tonight and planning on about 8-10 hours at 225.
Karen

PS. I’ve been AWOL for awhile, but I am tickled to be back. Two bouts with cancer and a major move from So Cal to NH and I am ready to roll.

Attachments

• AA86901B-3639-46B8-A008-1D7D52E21BD1.jpeg
    AA86901B-3639-46B8-A008-1D7D52E21BD1.jpeg
    204.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 072098ED-0E04-49AC-8762-D57202DDABCF.jpeg
    072098ED-0E04-49AC-8762-D57202DDABCF.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 42
YUM them look good. I would leave whole. Congrats on beating cancer (at least I hope you beat it). Left Cali - huh - not surprised. I left there in the early 1980's

Cook kinda like a brisket. Go light on the rub, the meat concentrates down. I did them straight through no wrap. there should be plenty of fat to keep them all nice and juicy

Congrats on being back and feelin better.

I'm on the wagon of smoke hole simply to avoid drying/crusting up any of of the smaller surface "square end" cuts of the meat you get if you cut them up. One big chunk means only the outer square areas may dry or crust up a little more than desired but nothing more than that.

Also I'm a little worried about your time frame at 225F. Those ribs won't care if you bump up to 275F or higher as long as you aren't burning them.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes with some amazing pictures :)

YUM them look good. I would leave whole. Congrats on beating cancer (at least I hope you beat it). Left Cali - huh - not surprised. I left there in the early 1980's

Cook kinda like a brisket. Go light on the rub, the meat concentrates down. I did them straight through no wrap. there should be plenty of fat to keep them all nice and juicy

Thank you. I beat both of those bastards. Breast and Colon.
I was definitely not going to wrap. I want a luscious bark. :-D

Congrats on being back and feelin better.

I'm on the wagon of smoke hole simply to avoid drying/crusting up any of of the smaller surface "square end" cuts of the meat you get if you cut them up. One big chunk means only the outer square areas may dry or crust up a little more than desired but nothing more than that.

Also I'm a little worried about your time frame at 225F. Those ribs won't care if you bump up to 275F or higher as long as you aren't burning them.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes with some amazing pictures :)

I like the idea of going a little hotter, it means I don’t have to get up as early. Although I am starting a pork butt tonight too, so will be a light sleep tonight.

Reactions: tallbm
Welcome back!! I like doing my dinos whole. Like tallbm tallbm i do mine at 275F. I also like to spritz mine with a mix of 1 cup vinegar to 1/4 Frank’s red hot. I never wrap them. Man now I want to cook some lol.

Reactions: cinnamonkc
Waiting for the cook. Glad you beat cancer, my sister didn't.

Was looking for the after pics. Found them here:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky