First Smoke on our new reverse flow smoker!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well it's been a long time in coming, but finally getting around to posting our first smoke on our new smoker that Joel, @seenred built! A big thank you to him! My wife was of the opinion that I had enough smokers... until she saw it... think she's gonna love it as much as me. And by the way, think I'm gonna call it Rodney... just look at Red's avatar and you'll understand. My wife had been wanting to smoke some beef ribs and I found chuck roasts on sale so why not.

Now our weather wasn't gonna be cooperative, had a fair amount of rain on Friday morning, the day after it was delivered and they were talking more possibly in the afternoon. Turning cold and snow, temps in the teens Saturday so we built a temporary shelter

View attachment 681118

Thankfully it didn't rain anymore but it did lead to a late start. Getting it started and warmed up.

View attachment 681119

Watch that board to the left... nailed it with the top of my head! Didn't help later on that evening while working under the corn head of the combine, hit my head again... Ouch! That's not quite what I said!
Had the chuck roast and ribs seasoned up, waiting for smoker temp to get to temp.

View attachment 681120

Nice feet!
Meat going on...

View attachment 681121

Added some chicken a bit later... turned into chicken salad

View attachment 681122

Getting some nice color about 3 hours in

View attachment 681123

Pulled them off the smoker after about 5 1/2 hours. It was 8 pm and wanted time for the smoker to cool down so we could put it inside for the night... meat went into the oven to finish and we went to the shop to work on corn head.

View attachment 681126

The first nights supper was the beef ribs, scalloped potatoes, and homemade crescent rolls my wife made

View attachment 681127

I've heard something about a close up pic... look at that smoke ring!

View attachment 681128

And those crescent rolls...

View attachment 681129

Pure deliciousness!

View attachment 681130

The second night's supper was the chuck roast. Someone has been snacking!

View attachment 681131

And yes, we used a fork... even if it does look like a big mouthful!
And another beautiful smoke ring

View attachment 681132

And a finish pic, chuck roast, mashed taters and gravy, and some of our sweet corn.

View attachment 681133

Now some of you complain about a messy pic... but around here there's only one way to eat this... make a mess and mix it together!

View attachment 681135

MMMMmmmmm!

So thanks for looking! Gonna take a little learning curve for fire management... but did pretty good for a couple newbies!
And again a huge thanks to Joel! He built a beautiful smoker and it was great to meet another member... even for a short bit. Apparently he didn't want to stick around for our weekend weather that was coming... the snow and temps in the teens with wind. But he is a traveling machine... he left about 6:15 am from near Tulsa Oklahoma, got to our house about 500 miles later and we unloaded it and visited for a short bit. Then he was off again. Found out he made it back to Saint Joe Missouri that night... about 10:30 that night and 285 miles later!

Ryan
Ryan,

That looks great! How often did you need to put logs on the fire? How many did you use for each cook? What temperature
Well it's been a long time in coming, but finally getting around to posting our first smoke on our new smoker that Joel, @seenred built! A big thank you to him! My wife was of the opinion that I had enough smokers... until she saw it... think she's gonna love it as much as me. And by the way, think I'm gonna call it Rodney... just look at Red's avatar and you'll understand. My wife had been wanting to smoke some beef ribs and I found chuck roasts on sale so why not.

Now our weather wasn't gonna be cooperative, had a fair amount of rain on Friday morning, the day after it was delivered and they were talking more possibly in the afternoon. Turning cold and snow, temps in the teens Saturday so we built a temporary shelter

View attachment 681118

Thankfully it didn't rain anymore but it did lead to a late start. Getting it started and warmed up.

View attachment 681119

Watch that board to the left... nailed it with the top of my head! Didn't help later on that evening while working under the corn head of the combine, hit my head again... Ouch! That's not quite what I said!
Had the chuck roast and ribs seasoned up, waiting for smoker temp to get to temp.

View attachment 681120

Nice feet!
Meat going on...

View attachment 681121

Added some chicken a bit later... turned into chicken salad

View attachment 681122

Getting some nice color about 3 hours in

View attachment 681123

Pulled them off the smoker after about 5 1/2 hours. It was 8 pm and wanted time for the smoker to cool down so we could put it inside for the night... meat went into the oven to finish and we went to the shop to work on corn head.

View attachment 681126

The first nights supper was the beef ribs, scalloped potatoes, and homemade crescent rolls my wife made

View attachment 681127

I've heard something about a close up pic... look at that smoke ring!

View attachment 681128

And those crescent rolls...

View attachment 681129

Pure deliciousness!

View attachment 681130

The second night's supper was the chuck roast. Someone has been snacking!

View attachment 681131

And yes, we used a fork... even if it does look like a big mouthful!
And another beautiful smoke ring

View attachment 681132

And a finish pic, chuck roast, mashed taters and gravy, and some of our sweet corn.

View attachment 681133

Now some of you complain about a messy pic... but around here there's only one way to eat this... make a mess and mix it together!

View attachment 681135

MMMMmmmmm!

So thanks for looking! Gonna take a little learning curve for fire management... but did pretty good for a couple newbies!
And again a huge thanks to Joel! He built a beautiful smoker and it was great to meet another member... even for a short bit. Apparently he didn't want to stick around for our weekend weather that was coming... the snow and temps in the teens with wind. But he is a traveling machine... he left about 6:15 am from near Tulsa Oklahoma, got to our house about 500 miles later and we unloaded it and visited for a short bit. Then he was off again. Found out he made it back to Saint Joe Missouri that night... about 10:30 that night and 285 miles later!

Ryan
That looks great! How often did you need to add logs, how many did you use per cook? What temperature did you cook at and was it easy to maintain?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Ryan,

That looks great! How often did you need to put logs on the fire? How many did you use for each cook? What temperature

That looks great! How often did you need to add logs, how many did you use per cook? What temperature did you cook at and was it easy to maintain?
Thanks you!
We started with a full starter of charcoal and maybe two or three splits. Occasionally added a little lump charcoal. I wasn't around the smoker the whole time, so when I was gone my wife watched it. Thinking about every half hour or so we added some splits. Should have started with more at the beginning to get a better coal bed going. Didn't write it down but think the therm in lid ran around 250 and a therm we had at bottom grate level near firebox inlet side ran around 270.

Ryan

Reactions: JLeonard
Ryan! Brother, what an awesome cook and new rig! Well deserved ride! Joel is a craftsman and you are definitely putting his work to good use! That meal looks perfect! I feel so happy to see your newest addition!

Ryan! Brother, what an awesome cook and new rig! Well deserved ride! Joel is a craftsman and you are definitely putting his work to good use! That meal looks perfect! I feel so happy to see your newest addition!
Thanks Jed! Maybe someday I'll get good enough using it I can get a pink pig in my front yard! :emoji_blush:
Still waiting on your choice of new toys as well lol. Good to hear from you!

Ryan

Late to the party on this Ryan, looks like a fantastic initial christening of your new smoker. The ring on that beef rib is something else, nice work! RAY

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Late to the party on this Ryan, looks like a fantastic initial christening of your new smoker. The ring on that beef rib is something else, nice work! RAY
Thanks Ray, I appreciate it!

BH, Great looking smoking and awesome first smoke on it. To say your plates look delicious is an understatement!
Thanks CM, it's appreciated! I almost screwed up and didn't have the plated pics... cleaning out my phone I had deleted some, found them in my trash.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky