My entry for TD, Rolled Beef Short Ribs and Stroganoff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
My entry for TD, Rolled Beef Short Ribs and Stroganoff

First off, there was a great showing and some very good entries, so here is mine . And like I said before congrats to all the winners and runners up. And thanks to all the folks that do this on their own time and to Jeff for the space for us to be able to do this .

Now, here it is:

First went to butcher and asked for a " butchers cut " of Short Ribs, 4 bone cut to 2 1/2" thick, he was very helpful, and found a great couple pieces that he cut off the whole racks for me. From the thicker ends.

DSC_7521.JPG DSC_7524.JPG

Remove the bones and clean them up good. Saved the best 4 bones, trim the extra fat and silver shin.
Roll the strips back around the bone and tie to hold and keep shape, for the brazing. These had very good veining so stayed juicy

DSC_7525.JPG DSC_7526.JPG DSC_7527.JPG DSC_7532.JPG

These came out to just over 3/4 of a pound each before the braising.
Seasoned the servings with SPG, Into a very hot Cast frying pan to seal in all the goodness on all edges and sides.

DSC_7533.JPG DSC_7535.JPG
This smells good already, now off to the smoker with a temp of 275deg. Cherry chips and chunk
Approx 3 hours

While they are in the smoker, in the same pan used for the braising add my veg for the Stroganoff
Onions and than the mushrooms, getting all the good flavours from the beef, remove and make the sauce in the same pan
add flour and butter to make a rue, add the beef broth and than sour cream

DSC_7544.JPG DSC_7551.JPG DSC_7552.JPG DSC_7553.JPG

Man this was good with just my spoon . While this was cooking boiled up my Pappardelle noodles, checked on the ribs, pretty soon now for them
Boiled up a few baby carrots and than fried in butter and s + p and parsley

DSC_7543.JPG DSC_7549.JPG DSC_7542.JPG
DSC_7547.JPG

Everything coming together nice
Ribs are ready to come inside for a little rest

DSC_7555.JPG

Remove the strings , Now slide the bone up from the bottom for a nice look.
And plate it up for your viewing pleasure and our supper :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

DSC_7564.JPG

DSC_7567.JPG

DSC_7571.JPG

There you go folks , my entry to the throwdown. Fun to do , little bit of work and lots of good flavours and eats

Thanks to all that voted for me and got me at least into the second round :emoji_sunglasses:

But there was some stiff competition, and worthy winners

David

Attachments

• DSC_7567.JPG
    DSC_7567.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 10
Man does that plate look good David. It looks like a lot of work, but the end results must have been well worth the effort put forth.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Now that is the way to have a throw down, gmc2003 gmc2003 is right that is a lot of work but man the results are fantastic. I can almost taste it from the pics

Your plate of food looked amazing! Now I can say it... GRAVY! NUMB!
Awesome job David!

Ryan

Very nice David! I thought that was your entry, ie I did vote for it as it was just not something you see, oh those carrots looked perfect too! I’m also a ice fan of stroganoff!

Very nicely done David, worthy of the votes. There were many great entries and I knew I did not have a shot.

I got pulled away at the end of my cook to help my neighbor do some repairs her autistic daughter needed for safety and I lost and hour and a half at the end...way over done....still very fun and looking forward to the next one!

Man does that plate look good David. It looks like a lot of work, but the end results must have been well worth the effort put forth.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks Chris for the like and the comment

Lots of work, and I do it to myself, as I really like trying different things ,
But like you said the end result for this meal were outstanding, The beef was very good and the flavour it made for the stroganoff, very nice.

David

Now that is the way to have a throw down, gmc2003 gmc2003 is right that is a lot of work but man the results are fantastic. I can almost taste it from the pics

Thanks Joe for the comment

It was wonderful, and the smell of the smoked ribs with the seasonings had me drooling, and the stroganoff, I was eating the sauce with a spoon before it was supper time, just could not stop, lol

David

Boy howdy, there's a runnin' ton of some fine work there David, nice job! RAY

Thanks Ray for the like and the comment

Very nice of you to say Ray, but the end result made the labour worth it ,
That was way back in early June, maybe time for some more Stroganoff, lol
And always time for ribs

David

Very nice David! I thought that was your entry, ie I did vote for it as it was just not something you see, oh those carrots looked perfect too! I’m also a ice fan of stroganoff!

Thanks Civil for the like and the comment

Thank you for the vote and I guess I am too predictable if you knew it was mine , lol
It was fun to do, and yes different. And the baby carrots were perfect and sweet, and the Stroganoff
will happen again, love that stuff

PS: congrats on the judges win

David

Reactions: civilsmoker
Very nicely done David, worthy of the votes. There were many great entries and I knew I did not have a shot.

I got pulled away at the end of my cook to help my neighbor do some repairs her autistic daughter needed for safety and I lost and hour and a half at the end...way over done....still very fun and looking forward to the next one!

Thanks Cliff for the like and the comment

Thank you for saying so , and yes some great entries were put on display.

Sorry you could not get the results that you wanted. But good on you for helping
someone that was in need of your help. That is winning right there , There is always another time

David

Reactions: clifish
Wonderfully done David, beautiful plate.
I'm glad I didn't have to judge that TD. That would have been tough!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky