My entry for TD, Rolled Beef Short Ribs and Stroganoff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great.
And that's some mighty fine knife skills with the butterflied short ribs.

Thanks Steve for the comment

Thanks it was a good looking plate of food , and also tasty.

Yes it took a bit cleaning the bone from the slab with out hacking up the meat too much,
and than cutting into the full strips,
Nice of you to say, Thank you

David

My entry for TD, Rolled Beef Short Ribs and Stroganoff

First off, there was a great showing and some very good entries, so here is mine . And like I said before congrats to all the winners and runners up. And thanks to all the folks that do this on their own time and to Jeff for the space for us to be able to do this .

Now, here it is:

First went to butcher and asked for a " butchers cut " of Short Ribs, 4 bone cut to 2 1/2" thick, he was very helpful, and found a great couple pieces that he cut off the whole racks for me. From the thicker ends.

View attachment 671836 View attachment 671838

Remove the bones and clean them up good. Saved the best 4 bones, trim the extra fat and silver shin.
Roll the strips back around the bone and tie to hold and keep shape, for the brazing. These had very good veining so stayed juicy

View attachment 671839 View attachment 671840 View attachment 671841 View attachment 671842

These came out to just over 3/4 of a pound each before the braising.
Seasoned the servings with SPG, Into a very hot Cast frying pan to seal in all the goodness on all edges and sides.

View attachment 671843 View attachment 671844
This smells good already, now off to the smoker with a temp of 275deg. Cherry chips and chunk
Approx 3 hours

While they are in the smoker, in the same pan used for the braising add my veg for the Stroganoff
Onions and than the mushrooms, getting all the good flavours from the beef, remove and make the sauce in the same pan
add flour and butter to make a rue, add the beef broth and than sour cream

View attachment 671848 View attachment 671852 View attachment 671853 View attachment 671854

Man this was good with just my spoon . While this was cooking boiled up my Pappardelle noodles, checked on the ribs, pretty soon now for them
Boiled up a few baby carrots and than fried in butter and s + p and parsley

View attachment 671847 View attachment 671851View attachment 671846
View attachment 671850

Everything coming together nice
Ribs are ready to come inside for a little rest

View attachment 671855

Remove the strings , Now slide the bone up from the bottom for a nice look.
And plate it up for your viewing pleasure and our supper :emoji_yum: :emoji_sunglasses:

View attachment 671857
View attachment 671862

View attachment 671864

There you go folks , my entry to the throwdown. Fun to do , little bit of work and lots of good flavours and eats

Thanks to all that voted for me and got me at least into the second round :emoji_sunglasses:

But there was some stiff competition, and worthy winners

David

That was a great entry!! I voted for that one in the first round! I thought it looked really cool and super Tasty as I'm sure it was!! Great Job!!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That was a great entry!! I voted for that one in the first round! I thought it looked really cool and super Tasty as I'm sure it was!! Great Job!!

Thank you for the like and the comment

Thanks for your vote in the first round , t was a fun to build meal.
And yes it had lots of flavour also, and pretty to look at, :emoji_yum: :emoji_yum: and better to eat.

David

Reactions: Redicans
Wow David, what an incredible meal and an amazing entry. I was very, very impressed when you sent that to me for the TD. A truly spectacular effort my friend. Being relegated to ribs for this one and doing something this special makes me really anxious to see what you come up with for the next one :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow David, what an incredible meal and an amazing entry. I was very, very impressed when you sent that to me for the TD. A truly spectacular effort my friend. Being relegated to ribs for this one and doing something this special makes me really anxious to see what you come up with for the next one :emoji_wink:

Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

It was a fun thing to do with my favorite which is short ribs,
getting the butcher to let me pick through he supply of the short ribs to find the thickest ones so I could carve them up like this was abonus.

There was some very great entries, and well deserving winners.
I will try to do better next round, hope it is something I can smoke / cook. :emoji_sunglasses: 🤠

David

Reactions: Lorelei
This looks absolutely amazing! I am definitely going to try this. Thank you for all the great pics and descriptions.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
This looks absolutely amazing! I am definitely going to try this. Thank you for all the great pics and descriptions.

Thank you very much, it was a fun and tasty cook .

try it you will not be be disappointed. And it is a nice presentation when put on the supper table

David

Reactions: Lorelei
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky