Coming to Polaris Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqpitstop

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 29, 2007
Angola, New York
I will be in Polaris the week of February 4th to assist with a testing of a Friedrich smokehouse. While I searched the state thread to see how many of you were near here, there's so many I'd have a heck of a time private messaging all of you.

Just wondering, what barbecue joints can you recommend or advise against visiting for lunch and dinners? I always like to hit as many as possible when I'm out of town.

Give me a spot and I'll report my experience when I get back.

Thanks fellow smokers, and especially to those of you in Ohio that can give me some insight!

Just my opinion, but I believe City BBQ is the best in Columbus. Several locations to choose from. Closest to Polaris is probably Henderson Rd.

Corky

City BBQ is good and there is actually one on 750 which is Polaris Pkwy. I assume you will be around the Polaris Mall area, thats what most people mean when they talk about Polaris. Anyway if you just take Polaris Pkwy west it will run into Powell rd, its still Rt 750 just changes names. Follow that west for about 4 miles and on the north side of the rd at the corner of Sawmill Pkwy and Powell rd there is a City BBQ. Beside it is a Graters ice cream, be sure to go there for some of the best ice cream around, raspberry choc. chip is really good
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

There is also Hoggys which is ok. There is one of those on the southeast corner of Sancus Blvd and Polaris Pkwy. Sancus is the first rd going south off Polaris west of 71.

There is a place in the Arena District called The Blues Satation that says they have BBQ but its not very good. They do have some really good blues there on the weekends and the food is not too bad if you stay away from the BBQ.

There is another place in Grandview called Barleys Smokehouse. Food is pretty good and they have a micro brewery. From Polaris take 71 south to 670 west, get off at Grandview ave and go north(right). The first intersection you come to is Dublin rd, go west(left) and Barleys will be on the north side of the rd. as soon as you turn onto Dublin rd.

Stay away from the blues station. Talking with an employee about the que. She stated if comes in from Chicago and then they reheat in a microwave.

There is a new place, take Polaris to 71 south. Go maybe 3 miles, exit onto 270 East. The very first exit is Cleveland ave., take the first ext (it has two). Go maybe one mile and on the left is Smackies. Just opened. I hear they rock but being next door to my place I never go as I like my que better :).

If you feel up to it PM me. We can get together at my apartment. (Man I miss my house). I can fire the BGE up and cook some steaks around 700 degrees. That with a couple of brews.

Always welcome to meeting another SMF member :).

Maybe we can entice Twister to stop by also.

Take care,

Brian

Well our trip has been delayed but only by a few days I'm told so far.

Reflect, thanks for the invite, I just might take you up on that depending on how much time we have to ourselves outside of working while there.

I'll keep you posted as soon as I hear the exact date of the trip.

Sounds like the blues place needs someone with a smoker to sell..........importing from Chicago? Must be Carson's ribs I would think, and I don't see how someone could possibly turn a profit after paying for all those shipping costs.

Sorry I'm not up and running yet or you could stop by and check me out. The restaurant part is a ways off anyway.

Go w/ City BBQ they do make some good "Q".

I don't live near Columbus, but I was there for my nephew's wedding there 2 summers ago. The reception was catered by City BBQ. I loved it! I think they do a mighty fine Q.

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

I must be in the minority about City BBQ. I don't care for it. Haven't tried Smokeshack BBQ yet. I know they have two smokers named Cheech and Chong!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Getting to the front door is a bit odd. The entrance looked like it was in the back of the building. Drove by it a few weeks ago when I saw their van out front.

Go to this link, look at Jan4th. It's a review by some local DJ's of Smokeshack. They do this every Friday.

http://www.610wtvn.com/cc-common/pod...ssbrothers.xml

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky