Not an amateur, but tons to learn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pigfarmin101

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2023
Idaho
Hey all!! I’m brand new to finding smf but I have some experience smoking meats. Prob an amateur to most here but my smoked meats get great reviews from friends and family. Looking to increase my knowledge on all that is smoking. Things that turn out great for me: brisket, steak, ribs, meatloaf, bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers, and prob all the things that are easy…..minus brisket. That took a few. Things I suck at: chicken for sure. Never tried smoked pork steaks, lots of sides I’d love to learn. Looking to learn a lot about sausage because I have a small pig raising farm. Appreciate all the tips you level 10 smokers can give me! I’ll add a few smoke pics I’ve done, not many since I apparently don’t take enough pics

555590F7-A310-4884-A98A-DC72C4545D81.jpeg
D89A6463-B52C-4876-9D4C-2997304200C3.jpeg
F6921D32-B458-491B-852A-D11710E6B0CD.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, and welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us and there are alot of helpful and knowledgeable people here! Your food pics look great!

Ryan

Reactions: Pigfarmin101
Welcome, welcome, welcome. You stumbled into the right place for sure.

Oh, FYI. I'm a level 2.

Reactions: Pigfarmin101
Welcome…..just remember we all just practice smoking with the desire to be level 10, but practice practice!!! Lol

Chicken: if you want crispy skin then smoke hot between 325-375…. Will be money

I do a ton of boneless skinless chicken breast…. Heavily season them like you dropped them in the sand…..then 265 for about 2 hours pull the at 155 and then rest covered @ 145 in the home oven for 30 to 60 min, money all day long. Yes this is less that the 165, but it is well within pasteurizing temps and times.

If you want slow smoked whole chicken say at 225 or so, the skin will be soggy, however do worry just pull it off in large pieces after the smoke and place them on a cookie sheet with a rack then in the oven 375 till the crisp up….. chicken cracklin money all day long….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-knew-and-why-didnt-you-tell-us.320956/page-2/

Pork steaks, they need to finished to a temp of 145-150……slight pink…. Above 155 they get dry and tough…. I like to sear then roast up to temp….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pineapple-gochujang-glazed-rib-chops.320545/

By the way I practice a lot……lol

Welcome…..just remember we all just practice smoking with the desire to be level 10, but practice practice!!! Lol

Chicken: if you want crispy skin then smoke hot between 325-375…. Will be money

I do a ton of boneless skinless chicken breast…. Heavily season them like you dropped them in the sand…..then 265 for about 2 hours pull the at 155 and then rest covered @ 145 in the home oven for 30 to 60 min, money all day long. Yes this is less that the 165, but it is well within pasteurizing temps and times.

If you want slow smoked whole chicken say at 225 or so, the skin will be soggy, however do worry just pull it off in large pieces after the smoke and place them on a cookie sheet with a rack then in the oven 375 till the crisp up….. chicken cracklin money all day long….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...-knew-and-why-didnt-you-tell-us.320956/page-2/

Pork steaks, they need to finished to a temp of 145-150……slight pink…. Above 155 they get dry and tough…. I like to sear then roast up to temp….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/pineapple-gochujang-glazed-rib-chops.320545/

By the way I practice a lot……lol
Thanks civil! I’ll have to give these a try, I’ve got a rooster that came after me so I’m gonna try a beer can chicken with him. Heard if you carve a potato to form a plug at the top they can turn out really well

As it says below my name, South Carolina. We're glad to have you here, pics look great and we love them here...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky