building a wood smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbcss

Original poster
Aug 25, 2023
Ct
good morning, I have been hot smoking meats and cold smoking cheese many years, making beacon and sausages, etc. I've used water smokers' charcoal and electric smokers. I have a small Treager smoker right now that does a nice job. But I always wanted to build a smaller size wood smokehouse. I didn't want something to big and just enough to smoke a couple of items. or a good size fresh ham. also, big enough to hang sausages. I think I was going to use a one or two hot plates if too cold to keep the temp up. I was watching a video on YouTube, joeandzach survival and he built one I think I'm wanting to build. my question is for y'all that have wood smokers, what do you do to preserve the outside wood. (walls, doors, etc.) I didn't really want to use cedar to keep the cost down. I thought about Thompson water seal or something like that but wasn't sure if it would give off a bad smell or ruin the meat, or after a bunch of uses will the smoke penetrate the wood to preserve it? I've googled the question but could not find anything about treating the wood. Maybe I'm over thinking this but want to be safe than sorry.
thanks, in advance.
Ralph

Reactions: JLeonard
I would think you can just paint or stain the outside and let the smoke take care of the inside. What type of wood ya using.

Do not treat the inside with anything besides smoke. Paint the exterior is fine.

good morning, I have been hot smoking meats and cold smoking cheese many years, making beacon and sausages, etc. I've used water smokers' charcoal and electric smokers. I have a small Treager smoker right now that does a nice job. But I always wanted to build a smaller size wood smokehouse. I didn't want something to big and just enough to smoke a couple of items. or a good size fresh ham. also, big enough to hang sausages. I think I was going to use a one or two hot plates if too cold to keep the temp up. I was watching a video on YouTube, joeandzach survival and he built one I think I'm wanting to build. my question is for y'all that have wood smokers, what do you do to preserve the outside wood. (walls, doors, etc.) I didn't really want to use cedar to keep the cost down. I thought about Thompson water seal or something like that but wasn't sure if it would give off a bad smell or ruin the meat, or after a bunch of uses will the smoke penetrate the wood to preserve it? I've googled the question but could not find anything about treating the wood. Maybe I'm over thinking this but want to be safe than sorry.
thanks, in advance.
Ralph
Last year at the S Florida smoking event, someone brought a home made apparatus, because we made up a shit-load of meat sticks. I know it was like a puzzle to put together and i was drunk so i don't remember, but im sure if they see this they might share.

I would think you can just paint or stain the outside and let the smoke take care of the inside. What type of wood ya using.
He used 1/2" plywood. But I build a chicken coop out of obs and put 3 coats of kilz. It's going on 3 years and it's as good as new.

He used 1/2" plywood. But I build a chicken coop out of obs and put 3 coats of kilz. It's going on 3 years and it's as good as
Dont they use glue to make the OSB board, not sure if I would use that, maybe someone with more knowledge about it will jump in.

Reactions: JLeonard
Exterior really isn’t an issue just paint or stain with exterior grade products. The inside will be treated with smoke. The blacker the better. This comes with use.

IMG_1244.jpeg

Reactions: DougE
Dont they use glue to make the OSB board, not sure if I would use that, maybe someone with more knowledge about it will jump in.

Yes, I wouldn't observe for this build because of the pieces and exposed glue. But plywood would be different because of the layers. But kilz I would think it would be ok for the outside protection.
Tell me if I'm wrong thinking this way. If something else I should use. I didn't want to go to crazy price wise. But would like it to last for a couple of years.
Thanks
Exterior really isn’t an issue just paint or stain with exterior grade products. The inside will be treated with smoke. The blacker the better. This comes with use.

View attachment 674461
Thanks,

Yes, I wouldn't observe for this build because of the pieces and exposed glue. But plywood would be different because of the layers. But kilz I would think it would be ok for the outside protection.
Tell me if I'm wrong thinking this way. If something else I should use. I didn't want to go to crazy price wise. But would like it to last for a couple of years.
Thanks

Thanks,
You'll be fine using it for outside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky