These Brats are the WURST

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nlife

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 16, 2023
There has been some lively discussion on these boards about brats. I've been wanting to try some and decided to make up a small tester patty of Marianski's Nuremberg Brat. After frying it both my wife and son said that it tasted like a McDonalds hamburger when you put both mustard and ketchup on it. Scratch that off the "brat" list, but I'm going to keep it in the back pocket for the young nieces that love McD's. A special Uncle's McBratburger (TM pending...lol) while camping anyone?

After searching Marianski's book and a bunch on the internet, I came across a recipe from Kimberly Killebrew (I don't know the rules on posting external links for this so I'll leave it out for now). You find all the usual flavor suspects in brats, but the crushed caraway seed peaked my interest since it's not in many of the others I've looked at.

She says that she grew up in the Swabia region of Germany. I looked through the post and she pointed to a lot of decent books on cured meats, ground her own meats, recommended good equipment, spoke of best practices on how to make sausages etc. With the exception of the recipe using imperial units it was all looking good, so I figured I would give it a try.

I picked up a pack of regular ground pork to test the flavor profile before going all in. My son and I measured out the ingredients by volume and weighed them as we went so I can build a reference for future use. The recipe is:

• 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (can substitute part veal if desired) , cut into 1/2 inch pieces and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding
  • 12 ounces pork back fat , cut into 1/2 inch chunks and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding

For the Spice Mixture:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1/4 cup dried milk powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground mace (can substitute nutmeg but strongly recommend mace for traditional German flavor)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
  • 3/4 teaspoon mustard powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed caraway seeds
  • 32mm natural hog casing , about 4 feet
We measured it all out. Stuffed it into the natural 29-32mm natural hog casings. I'm happy to say that I didn't have any poblems with putting the casings on the ol' horn this time. I looked like a YouTube Sausage making star! Granted, issues popped up in other areas... For some reason the o-ring seal that goes between the horn and the stuffer lock ring won't stay in place. It keeps blowing out.

After these brats were made, I found a beer recipe to prep them like they do in Wisconson and away we went! Anyways, onto the limted pictures!

Just after stuffing:

20231206_162931.jpg

After a bit of dry time while I washed my equipment, they were simmering with onions, garlic powder, pepper and beer prior to putting them on the grill. I forgot to add the onion power. Oh well, maybe next time...

20231206_175156.jpg

Gilling them

20231206_180630.jpg

A side of onions just prior to going on the bun for testing....

20231206_181209.jpg

Final verdict for the family was, I liked them enough to make a big batch. I tried them plain, with mustard, with saurkraut, with raw onions. My preference is with mustard and raw onions. Wife likes them with mustard and ketchup. She also likes them enough to dethrone the Cheese Smokies. Our son is OK with them, but prefers the Cheese Smokies.

I only did up three brats for tonight, but my wife and I liked them so much that we cooked up an extra link to split after we finished ours. We did this one without the beer and spice simmer to see what it was like. We both agree that the beer and spice simmer is better.

Wife says this one is a keeper.

That's a pretty busy spice list for me , but they sure look great . Like the way you cooked them up too . Nice job on the linking .
Marianski's Nuremberg Brat.
I've made both Poli's and Marianski's Nurnberg brat formula . Poli's is one of my favorites .
Uses ground bacon in the mix , white pepper , mace and caraway . This is one that needs to sit to blend the flavors . I personally don't fry test , because a fry test won't represent final flavor in my opinion . Gives an insight to salt level , but get that figured out and you can skip the fry test . ( and the ketchup )

Wow, they look great. I have been wanting to make some. I didn't see any liquid in the recipe.

Joe

Reactions: nlife
Some fine looking links there, nice work! I often boil my links in beer before going onto the grill. When I do Italian sausage that way sometimes I like to take the onions the sausage was boiled in, strain the excess, and sauté the onions in butter until almost caramelized, then onto a bun with some spicy mustard. Hold the ketchup. RAY

Nice work.
Especially the cooking. I'll have to give it a try on my next batch.

Ketchup?

Love the thread title lol. The brats look fantastic. If you are still open to other recipes try this. Similar to yours on spice profile but adds eggs and cream. This is the best German bratwurst I've ever had. When I make it I usually do 20 - 30 lbs because my friends and neighbors buy up 20 or more of it. Credit to Polka Polka for this recipe. Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice: ( I use pork)

1 Tbsp Sugar
3 Tbsp Salt
(if you wish to smoke these, add 1 tsp cure #1)
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Caraway seed, ground is better
1 tsp Coriander

These next ingredients set German Brats apart from
other sausage's flavor profile, and texture:

1 tsp Cardamom
2 drops lemon extract or 2 tsp zest
1 tsp Nutmeg or Mace
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

There has been some lively discussion on these boards about brats. I've been wanting to try some and decided to make up a small tester patty of Marianski's Nuremberg Brat. After frying it both my wife and son said that it tasted like a McDonalds hamburger when you put both mustard and ketchup on it. Scratch that off the "brat" list, but I'm going to keep it in the back pocket for the young nieces that love McD's. A special Uncle's McBratburger (TM pending...lol) while camping anyone?

After searching Marianski's book and a bunch on the internet, I came across a recipe from Kimberly Killebrew (I don't know the rules on posting external links for this so I'll leave it out for now). You find all the usual flavor suspects in brats, but the crushed caraway seed peaked my interest since it's not in many of the others I've looked at.

She says that she grew up in the Swabia region of Germany. I looked through the post and she pointed to a lot of decent books on cured meats, ground her own meats, recommended good equipment, spoke of best practices on how to make sausages etc. With the exception of the recipe using imperial units it was all looking good, so I figured I would give it a try.

I picked up a pack of regular ground pork to test the flavor profile before going all in. My son and I measured out the ingredients by volume and weighed them as we went so I can build a reference for future use. The recipe is:

• 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (can substitute part veal if desired) , cut into 1/2 inch pieces and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding
  • 12 ounces pork back fat , cut into 1/2 inch chunks and put in freezer for 45 minutes prior to grinding

For the Spice Mixture:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground mace (can substitute nutmeg but strongly recommend mace for traditional German flavor)
We measured it all out. Stuffed it into the natural 29-32mm natural hog casings. I'm happy to say that I didn't have any poblems with putting the casings on the ol' horn this time. I looked like a YouTube Sausage making star! Granted, issues popped up in other areas... For some reason the o-ring seal that goes between the horn and the stuffer lock ring won't stay in place. It keeps blowing out.

After these brats were made, I found a beer recipe to prep them like they do in Wisconson and away we went! Anyways, onto the limted pictures!

Just after stuffing:

View attachment 682771

After a bit of dry time while I washed my equipment, they were simmering with onions, garlic powder, pepper and beer prior to putting them on the grill. I forgot to add the onion power. Oh well, maybe next time...

View attachment 682772

Gilling them

View attachment 682773

View attachment 682774

Final verdict for the family was, I liked them enough to make a big batch. I tried them plain, with mustard, with saurkraut, with raw onions. My preference is with mustard and raw onions. Wife likes them with mustard and ketchup. She also likes them enough to dethrone the Cheese Smokies. Our son is OK with them, but prefers the Cheese Smokies.

I only did up three brats for tonight, but my wife and I liked them so much that we cooked up an extra link to split after we finished ours. We did this one without the beer and spice simmer to see what it was like. We both agree that the beer and spice simmer is better.

Nicely done. Looking at the spice list, you have yourself a nice Sheboygan brat right there.

Well done. :emoji_sunglasses:

JC :emoji_cat:

That's a pretty busy spice list for me , but they sure look great . Like the way you cooked them up too . Nice job on the linking .

I've made both Poli's and Marianski's Nurnberg brat formula . Poli's is one of my favorites .
Uses ground bacon in the mix , white pepper , mace and caraway . This is one that needs to sit to blend the flavors . I personally don't fry test , because a fry test won't represent final flavor in my opinion . Gives an insight to salt level , but get that figured out and you can skip the fry test . ( and the ketchup )

Be careful when translating German sausage recipes. Sometimes it appears that they are calling for cured pork belly (bacon) when they are really calling for just raw pork belly. My $0.02....

Reactions: zwiller
JCam,

Love the recipe, I will try it very soon. The eggs and cream were exactly what I was looking for. My only question is the grind. Some suggest grind twice, some say grind 3/4 twice 1/4 once.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Reactions: jcam222 and nlife
Be careful when translating German sausage recipes. Sometimes it appears that they are calling for cured pork belly (bacon) when they are really calling for just raw pork belly. My $0.02....
Appreciate that . I do my reading and research , and agree and understand your comment . This one calls for " Bacon , smoked " . Not Speck or belly .

Reactions: JC in GB
Appreciate that . I do my reading and research , and agree and understand your comment . This one calls for " Bacon , smoked " . Not Speck or belly .

Right on. Just offering a friendly tip to the board. I found out the hard way by using smoked bacon where only pork belly was indicated. This was because I botched my German translation. The sausage wasn't bad but I was kind of like what did I just make? :emoji_thinking: :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: nlife and chopsaw
I appreciate it . I like the add of bacon . I’ll use it when I do German bologna , but it was worth saying . Some of the formulas that call for “ bacon “ really mean raw belly .

Reactions: nlife and JC in GB
I appreciate it . I like the add of bacon . I’ll use it when I do German bologna , but it was worth saying . Some of the formulas that call for “ bacon “ really mean raw belly, but

I've noticed that in a few reciepes too. Was a tad confused by the term "bacon" when they were using pork belly, not actual bacon as I know it.

Reactions: JC in GB
Thanks for the kind words all. I wholeheartedly agree on the ketchup comments. I die a little every time I see her gob it on a perfectly good dog, and now brat.

Wow, they look great. I have been wanting to make some. I didn't see any liquid in the recipe.

Joe

The original recipe didn't have it in the ingredients so I subbed in 100g per-KG. In this case it worked out to 147g of cold water. I could have way overshot the amounts.

Love the thread title lol. The brats look fantastic. If you are still open to other recipes try this. Similar to yours on spice profile but adds eggs and cream. This is the best German bratwurst I've ever had. When I make it I usually do 20 - 30 lbs because my friends and neighbors buy up 20 or more of it. Credit to Polka Polka for this recipe. Per 5 pounds of meat of your choice: ( I use pork)
2 eggs
1 cup heavy cream

I'm most certainly interested in other Brat recipes! There's just so many. I had looked up the brats thread on this site that was posted awhile back and seen that you (I'm pretty sure it was you) had mentioned egg and cream, though I didn't see amounts. I'm glad you chimed in here. I'm willing to give it a shot and see how it goes. I gave four links to a buddy of mine and I'm waiting on him to give me feedback on flavoring. He really liked the jalapano cheddar smokies I gave him. Said they may topple the Hutterite version he's been buying.

tallbm tallbm suggested trying LEM's Backwoods Fresh Bratwurst seasoning. Turns out that it's sold out here in town, but the next town over has a few. I'll be heading up to visit with my parents and in-laws so I'll grab a box of that too. At $9.99 its a pretty small risk to take.

I'm still looking for a brat recipe, too.

That was brave posting about ketchup. You must have a Scandinavian wife?

Ha! I deliberated long and hard about posting it. Figured I'd go ahead and post the Good, the Bad, and the Tastebudless! My wife is Canadian. Her brother treats ketchup as if it's a drink. He put's it on everything. He even had a girlfriend that banned it from the house since she was so insulted that he smothered everything she cooked in ketchup. Sheesh.

I just looked up Poli's site. It's bookmarked! Seems like a great resource. It does seem like the Brats have a short list of spices that enhance the meat, not overpower it. I was a bit surprised to hear my wife say that she liked these brats since they were "balanced". This despite the dang ketchup!

Reactions: chopsaw
I just looked up Poli's site. It's bookmarked! Seems like a great resource. It does seem like the Brats have a short list of spices that enhance the meat, not overpower it.
It's a great site . I use that one and the Marianski , and often compare the two against each other .
I recently made the " Italian bratwurst " from Marianski , that was just white pepper and fennel for the spice . It was so simple it was great . Really surprised me .

Keep going , everything looks great .

Reactions: JC in GB and nlife

For the Spice Mixture:
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons salt

Just after stuffing:

View attachment 682771

View attachment 682772

Gilling them

View attachment 682773

View attachment 682774

Great looking sausages!

I'm really interested in your journey and what you land on and maybe even a final writing/ranking of them all in comparison to each other hahaha :D

I'm really interested to see what you see with the Lem's Brats at my "by weight measurements" vs these other recipes you've tried.
It would also be very much worth it to pick up a 5 pound pack of the Lem's Cured Frank seasoning and yep add the cure but don't worry about smokign them, just grill em up fresh and let me know what you think. I'm also curious to see what you think using my "by weight" measurements for that stuff as well :D

Keep it up man, I'm all in for this ride :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky