Have Tomahawk Steak , now what ( 3.179 lb )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada

Story first about why I have this as I probably would never buy this for me and Mona, so you can skip the story and go right to the question, lol

During or I should say after the floods this summer, a fellow that I have had do a couple small excavation jobs for me on jobs. Had his basement flood.
History on him , Younger than I , and has a couple kids , early retirement from the service, trying to start up a small business. Calls me every other week with questions about how to do this or what do I think about the way he should go about that. Nice enough fellow.

So back to story, went to his place after the water was gone. Went over what he was trying to do with basement. Insurance at this time because of all the damage to so many homes and property's after all the storms , floods and fires this summer is saying they just need an estimate from a company to fix, rebuild etc.

So J we will call him , asked me how to fix and repair and if I could give him an estimate. BUT he was going to do the work himself. So I knew I was not getting the job and I told him the way he wanted to do the job ( as he loves looking things up on the WWW ) is not the way I or many other company's would do it.
I also told him no problem I will do up the estimate , and if the insurance company makes the cheque out with my name on it I will refuse it, as not running that through and
me pay taxes on job i'm not doing.

He said the insurance is good with that , he is allotted only $10,000.00 from them and my estimate was for $18,000.00 +/-.

So long story short ( I know too late ) I spent about 3 1/2 hours at his house and doing up the estimate for him. He thanked me and said he will get me some fresh eggs for me for all my effort. ( he has 6 laying hens ) I thought to myself a dozen eggs , I know eggs are costly lately but really. I just smiled and said no thanks I am good.

So 2 weeks ago He called and then showed up at the shop with this , he said I know it is not much but thanked me for everything I had helped him with.

A 3.179 Rib steak bone in Tomahawk

DSC_8507.JPG

DSC_8508.JPG

I have looked in the search at how a lot of you have done these and they all look great.

But me as some might know an not on the rare kind of beef guy... I know stop yelling at me.

I like med at the lowest end of a cook , or as the size of this is a small roast in my mind
that is what I am thinking.

So I ask you all before I just sear it and than roast /smoke it

WHAT you you do , and have it still be Medium or better.

Thanks for listening, and I will shuffle through the yelling at me that it should be bloody lol

Going to cook this on Saturday or Sunday

David

I did 1 when I was recovering from covid a couple of years ago, I coated well with sucklebusters 1836 and then cooked it on my pellet smoker till 135, I didn't char it I just brought it to temp and let the beef and the seasoning work without any char. best steak I ever cooked imo.

Coat with freshly ground cinnamon then boil it until it reaches about 135*. A micro-wave can also be used, and the sparks from the probes will enhance the sear marks.

Come on man you know what you're doing David. Geeze coat in Montreal seasoning, give it a good sear, and then indirect until your final temp is reached.

Looking forward to seeing the finished dish

Chris

I am sure everyone above has you covered David. I am always amazed on what Ins co's will give you for damages that is not even close to what it actually will take to rebuild. Going through this now, they are giving me $32K and closest estimate is more than double.

Story first about why I have this as I probably would never buy this for me and Mona, so you can skip the story and go right to the question, lol

During or I should say after the floods this summer, a fellow that I have had do a couple small excavation jobs for me on jobs. Had his basement flood.
History on him , Younger than I , and has a couple kids , early retirement from the service, trying to start up a small business. Calls me every other week with questions about how to do this or what do I think about the way he should go about that. Nice enough fellow.

So back to story, went to his place after the water was gone. Went over what he was trying to do with basement. Insurance at this time because of all the damage to so many homes and property's after all the storms , floods and fires this summer is saying they just need an estimate from a company to fix, rebuild etc.

So J we will call him , asked me how to fix and repair and if I could give him an estimate. BUT he was going to do the work himself. So I knew I was not getting the job and I told him the way he wanted to do the job ( as he loves looking things up on the WWW ) is not the way I or many other company's would do it.
I also told him no problem I will do up the estimate , and if the insurance company makes the cheque out with my name on it I will refuse it, as not running that through and
me pay taxes on job i'm not doing.

He said the insurance is good with that , he is allotted only $10,000.00 from them and my estimate was for $18,000.00 +/-.

So long story short ( I know too late ) I spent about 3 1/2 hours at his house and doing up the estimate for him. He thanked me and said he will get me some fresh eggs for me for all my effort. ( he has 6 laying hens ) I thought to myself a dozen eggs , I know eggs are costly lately but really. I just smiled and said no thanks I am good.

So 2 weeks ago He called and then showed up at the shop with this , he said I know it is not much but thanked me for everything I had helped him with.

A 3.179 Rib steak bone in Tomahawk

View attachment 678304
View attachment 678305

I have looked in the search at how a lot of you have done these and they all look great.

But me as some might know an not on the rare kind of beef guy... I know stop yelling at me.

I like med at the lowest end of a cook , or as the size of this is a small roast in my mind
that is what I am thinking.

So I ask you all before I just sear it and than roast /smoke it

WHAT you you do , and have it still be Medium or better.

Thanks for listening, and I will shuffle through the yelling at me that it should be bloody lol

Going to cook this on Saturday or Sunday

David
ben there done that. the ones we buy are enough for two people. First thing I do is get out the saws-all and shorten the bone. Reverse sear is he way to go. for short smoke like that i still use my MES 30 electric. I throw in some hickory and/or oak chips, probe it and take it to about 10-15 degrees short of how you eat it. The sear step can go two ways. cast Iron skillet or grill plate.
IMHO the blackstone does not get hot enough to do a proper sear. Or if you have a gasser or charcoal grill fire it up to 10 degrees above hell. Keep probe in steak and sear a couple minutes on each side, or until center gets to your eating temp. Don't skip the resting step.
Just my $.02
john

I prefer the slow smoke and then quick sear method but since you like stuff a little more done could always sous vide it to the temp you like and then sear the shit out of it. I have no doubt you will kill it whatever method you decide to execute.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...d-grill-seared-grill-roasted-5-6-ribs.322425/

David, I have done many many medium to well steaks over the years...... I would you follow the above and once properly seared to the mid rare as above drop them in a foil pan with some seasoned compound butter either on the grill (you are looking for a 375 roasting temp) or in the house oven and spoon the melted compound butter over it every few minutes. Pull it from the oven at 5 degrees below desired, I suspect you will like it pulled at 148 to 150 ish. This will rest up to 153-155 ish and have only a slight pink to it. It will be tasty tasty!

Nothing wrong with beef taken to 145 / 150 when properly cooked , and I know you have the skill to do it right .
I had a sirloin roast on the spinner cook faster than expected . Finish temp after resting was in the low 150's . Fantastic beef flavor and moist . That's a lot leaner than what you have . I actually prefer a bit higher on some cuts .
The label says mechanically tenderized . Probably why it says cook to 145 .
That's a nice clean piece of meat .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I did 1 when I was recovering from covid a couple of years ago, I coated well with sucklebusters 1836 and then cooked it on my pellet smoker till 135, I didn't char it I just brought it to temp and let the beef and the seasoning work without any char. best steak I ever cooked imo.

Thanks Mike , sounds very good , but I have to look up Sucklebusters 1836

David

David. . .Your talents as a cook far exceed this small dilemma. You have won several throwdowns with beautiful dishes and have posted wonderful cooks as well. I have all the faith in your talents and you will figure this out. When you do, please let me know how you did it . . .LOL!

John

Thanks John , very nice of you to say. And with all the suggestions you might be right,
Just don't want to get yelled at for taking a nice slab of beef to above red finished :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: , but I will

David

First off, it is a beautiful cut of meat. And yep, a roast on a stick. Me, I'd season, slow roast til close to temp you like, then a quick sear.
But I'm sure whatever you decide to do will turn out pretty dang good!

Jim

Thanks Jim, It is pretty. As soon as he handed it to me I was thinking roast,
buy then I looked up how others have done and my head just started spinning.

I will get her figured out and let everyone know ,

David

Reactions: JLeonard
Coat with freshly ground cinnamon then boil it until it reaches about 135*. A micro-wave can also be used, and the sparks from the probes will enhance the sear marks.

Come on man you know what you're doing David. Geeze coat in Montreal seasoning, give it a good sear, and then indirect until your final temp is reached.

Looking forward to seeing the finished dish

Chris

Come on Chris, who the CHR!$T would use ground cinnamon when you can insert
cinnamon sticks like cloves of garlic in a slab like this , and that is boil first than microwave, :emoji_yum: got it , Thanks

Sounds good both ways but maybe your second choice is a bit more to my liking

David

I am sure everyone above has you covered David. I am always amazed on what Ins co's will give you for damages that is not even close to what it actually will take to rebuild. Going through this now, they are giving me $32K and closest estimate is more than double.

Yes that sucks Cliff, I remember reading your post about that.
They have no problem telling you what you are covered for until something happens. And then raise your rates or cancel your policy

That is terrible when the quotes come in that different from what real life estimates.

My insurance cancel my policy when I tried to make a claim on a problem on our RV, they said they would not cover what the problem was , and unless I removed the said RV from my house owners policy they would drop me. Well I had quite the conversation and told them ######, now I have a new insurance company.

David

Reactions: clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky