Cherry Smoked Quail and More

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Chili I haven't had Quail in ages,that meal looks great.I made the baked apples a week ago..LIKES
Richie

Every time I see your posts, I find myself impressed! Another great one and a big like, Chile!

Lucky coonass, were they already hardboiled and shelled too? :emoji_sunglasses:
Now that's a great friend, fo'shur.
No, not boiled and shelled; raw eggs fresh picked. The secret is to boil quail eggs for only 3 minutes to soft boil...then put the eggs in a stainless pot or bowl and cover with vinegar. The vinegar dissolved the shell, and removing the membrane is easy peasy under flowing water from the faucet. The eggs will be cooked to perfection when you can them in the water bath for 10 minutes....

Reactions: chilerelleno
Thanks John, thanks very much.
Mmmmmm, wild turkey breast is good.

Sorry Chile, I actually meant that I have a bunch of quail in my back yard, as I live on the edge of the desert and on the golf course. They all had tons of baby's this year for some reason, maybe the good wet winter and the late spring.
Ah okay, I gotcha now.
Mama Quail and their broods are fun to watch, very entertaining.
Do you feed them?

Ah okay, I gotcha now.
Mama Quail and their broods are fun to watch, very entertaining.
Do you feed them?

No , as I believe that actually does more harm than good. They appear to be feeding on the bermuda grass tips, as some have seeds of some sort. They have to compete with the bunny rabbits for the grass. They are quite fun to watch though cause daddy will select some sort of high ground, fence or rooftop, and call out to them the whole time letting them know the coast is clear for mommy and the kids.

It is quite the zoo, as I have a road runner, bald eagle, assorted hawks, the odd coyote, falcons and a pair of great horned owls that roam the place. So they live in constant fear. :emoji_disappointed:

John

Reactions: jcam222
Man that looks good especially the apples. Never thought about smoking apples but im going to have to add that to the list! I imagine my kids would love it!

John

Mmmmmm, wild turkey breast is good.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Chile, I actually meant that I have a bunch of quail in my back yard, as I live on the edge of the desert and on the golf course. They all had tons of baby's this year for some reason, maybe the good wet winter and the late spring.[/QUOTE]

Or are those the Birds they shoot on Gunsmoke?
The ones they call "Prairie Chickens"??
I thought they were a Sub-species of the Grouse.

Bear

Bear
No, they're not the same.
You're correct, Prairie Chickens are a species of Grouse, Pinnated Grouse.
With three sub species, one of which is extinct.

Last edited:
Mmmmmm, wild turkey breast is good.

Sorry Chile, I actually meant that I have a bunch of quail in my back yard, as I live on the edge of the desert and on the golf course. They all had tons of baby's this year for some reason, maybe the good wet winter and the late spring.[/QUOTE]

Bear[/QUOTE]

Bear they are definitely Quail. Gambel's Quail to be precise.

Male_Gambel's_Quail_in_Mesa,_Arizona.jpg

I have a lot of friends who do hunt them and Javelina's.

Not really my cup of tea though. I am like tropics tropics I only fish on days that end in "Y" :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
Sorry Chile, I actually meant that I have a bunch of quail in my back yard, as I live on the edge of the desert and on the golf course. They all had tons of baby's this year for some reason, maybe the good wet winter and the late spring.

Bear[/QUOTE]

Bear they are definitely Quail. Gambel's Quail to be precise.

View attachment 406686

I have a lot of friends who do hunt them and wild boars.

Not really my cup of tea though. I am like tropics tropics I only fish on days that end in "Y" :emoji_sunglasses:[/QUOTE]

OK, Thanks!!
I just wondered, because the "Ruffed Grouse" is The State Bird of Pennsylvania.
Doesn't look anything like your Quail. Thanks Again.

Bear

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Remind me next time you post your goodies to read it when I am not hungry. I broke my computer screen trying to get to your quail.

Iam

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky