Thanksgiving: Smoked Cornish Hens Stuffed with Wild Rice, Sausage and Apple Stuffing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
The Thanksgiving Capon got nixed and so I went with Cornish Hens.
These Hens were on the larger side at 1.75-2lbs each, and at $12-14. each they ended up costing more than the Capon.
However these were much meatier than the scrawny little 1-1.25lb Tyson birds they had in the next bin, and it was a no-brainer going with the larger hens.

So I started by making a stuffing that consisted of wild rice cooked in chicken broth, sage pork sausage, diced apple and sweet onion, roasted chopped pecans, brown sugar, bacon grease and a little more chicken broth, and a bouquet garni of various herbs.

Once the stuffing was cooked and cooled a bit I used it to stuff the Cornish Hens.
Tied the leg crossed to hold in the stuffing, pinned the wings to the body and laid them in the smoker.
Brushed them with a mix of butter and balsamic vinegar, then dusted them with a herb mix.
Smoker was set for 400° and they cooked to an IT of 165° in the breast, cook time was about an hour and twenty minutes.

HF4CIzK.jpg

cFnGPkC.jpg

lRiZXUv.jpg

Look at those hens coming along so nicely!

x42PLQ7.jpg

EcZODbP.jpg

And done! Ready for Thanksgiving Dinner.
Most were served halved, but a few hearty eaters took a whole bird.
Served various sides, shown with green bean casserole and extra stuffing.

VPHPgMn.jpg

lZaylS8.jpg

Capon in the freezer, I'll get around to it sometime.

That is so .. It needs to get featured on the ride not only for the great smoke, but the recipe of making hens. Not a common cook.
I love those little birds, but rarely eat them as the price difference which makes no sense. I can get a farm raised 5# yound and tender hen for $10

I make a much simpler version of your stuffing. Box of Uncle Ben's wild rice and long grain mix and pound of pork sausage. Taste and add more sage and other seasonings as needed.

I cooked hens at a Scouting event over 10 years ago and it is still the benchmark meal talked about today. A guy brought a dozen he got from an event at the gun club. He won a few and when explaining it was for scouting, the other winners all donated.
Stuffed with the Uncle Ben's loaded into a huge dutch oven with taters I from a farmer and carrots and onions from another leader's garden.

Reactions: chilerelleno
That is so .. It needs to get featured on the ride not only for the great smoke, but the recipe of making hens. Not a common cook.
I love those little birds, but rarely eat them as the price difference which makes no sense. I can get a farm raised 5# yound and tender hen for $10

I make a much simpler version of your stuffing. Box of Uncle Ben's wild rice and long grain mix and pound of pork sausage. Taste and add more sage and other seasonings as needed.

I cooked hens at a Scouting event over 10 years ago and it is still the benchmark meal talked about today. A guy brought a dozen he got from an event at the gun club. He won a few and when explaining it was for scouting, the other winners all donated.
Stuffed with the Uncle Ben's loaded into a huge dutch oven with taters I from a farmer and carrots and onions from another leader's garden.
Thank you so much John for the Like and compliments on the cook.

I'm with ya all the way.
Both on loving these lil'birds, Scouts and Dutch Oven cooking.

The price of specialty poultry is insane.
Cornish hens spend half the time/money on care and feeding and then charge twice the price.
And the Capons too, rooster castration doesn't warrant $10.+ per pound.

I did Scouts as did my younger son, we both enjoyed it.
I believe I enjoyed Scouts more as an adult helping out on camping trips and other outings, and teaching some Dutch Oven/Campfire cooking.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Outstanding! I did not know they still classified chickens that size as cornish hens...the more you know. Great color on those birds for sure, and I bet that stuffing rocks!
Thanks Inda!
They really did turn out real nice, as I keep saying, "The Recteq is a poultry machine!"

Info I have on poultry says they're processed at 4-6 weeks old and 1-2lbs.
§70.201 Chickens.
The following are the various classes of chickens:
(a) Rock Cornish game hen or Cornish game hen. A Rock Cornish game hen or Cornish
game hen is a young immature chicken (usually 5 to 6 weeks of age), weighing not more than
2 pounds ready-to-cook weight, which was prepared from a Cornish chicken or the progeny of a
Cornish chicken crossed with another breed of chicken
So these are as big as they get before being being reclassified.
Like I was saying about the Tyson birds, they were half the size and are sold everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: indaswamp
Nice flock of birds John.
I bet that stuffing tasted great, and great colour on them also.

David
Thank you very much David!

The stuffing turned out pretty good.
It had plenty of savory but not enough sweet, next time I'm adding more apple and maybe some raisins.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky