Thanksgiving: Smoked Cornish Hens Stuffed with Wild Rice, Sausage and Apple Stuffing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thank you for the service to Scouting. Got my Silver Beaver a few years ago.
The price of specialty poultry is insane.
Cornish hens spend half the time/money on care and feeding and then charge twice the price.
And the Capons too, rooster castration doesn't warrant $10.+ per pound.
Best guess is the labor and other costs involved.
Castrating a rooster requires surgery or chemicals. Check your bird for a scar line down by the lower abdomen. If none it was a chemical transformation which still requires intervention.

I don't think game hens can get the commercial gut suck due to size nor a mechanical plucker due to the thinner skin.

Back in college days a housemate had a grad student research project with turkeys and had way better hatch than needed for his test study. He butchered the culls around the size of game hens. They were delicious and didn't have the extra poultry flavor of a grown turkey

Reactions: chilerelleno
Thank you for the service to Scouting. Got my Silver Beaver a few years ago.

Best guess is the labor and other costs involved.
Castrating a rooster requires surgery or chemicals. Check your bird for a scar line down by the lower abdomen. If none it was a chemical transformation which still requires intervention.

I don't think game hens can get the commercial gut suck due to size nor a mechanical plucker due to the thinner skin.

Back in college days a housemate had a grad student research project with turkeys and had way better hatch than needed for his test study. He butchered the culls around the size of game hens. They were delicious and didn't have the extra poultry flavor of a grown turkey
I understand it from the business aspect, high overhead, seasonality and them being a specialty item with low sales, if they're gonna make a profit the price has to be high on the Capons, Cornish hens and other specialty poultry just like any other specialty product.

The Cornish hens appear to me to be mechanically eviscerated same as any other chicken.
But they definitely aren't "picked" (plucked) in the same highly efficient manner as full size birds.
I had to go over all these birds plucking quills by hand, which was considerable around the wings and tails.
And the neck were still attached with a lot of tattered excess neck skin, all of which was removed.

The turkey chicks sound like they'd be good eating.

Last edited:
NIce looking FLock of Seagulls John. The color and ingredients look perfect.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky