Cabela's 40" Black Smoker by Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thundamonkey

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 27, 2017
Victoria, BC
Evening everyone,

I have done some digging around the forum and found some people discussing this smoker but the vast majority of the thread are rather old. Given time has gone by and people have had more experience with the MES 40 (in it's various iterations) I thought I'd check in with people since I am looking at buying the Cabela's 40 inch model. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BY-MB-BLACK-SMOKER-W-BT/1934608.uts?slotId=1

Given the video by masterbuilt I believe this to be a gen 2.5 (as it has bluetooth) and comes with the 2 extra racks. Also, seeing as it is a "Cabela's" brand, it is covered with their lifetime warranty. I don't know exactly how that warranty looks for this smoker, and I will dig into that during business hours, but it looks promising. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjG56KenqzYAhVO2GMKHWuIBbkQtwIIMDAB&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_TKlpkQXzQ&usg=AOvVaw0RL15aI61MQXI7xsD5LYJC

The smoker is currently on sale for 279 and compared to older gen windowed model at Sam's Club being 329, this seems like a solid deal. I know the Cabela's model doesn't have a window, but none of my older smokers have had windows so I don't think that is a loss. I will be using the AMNPS on this as well.

I look forward to hearing peoples opinion regarding their experiences with it, and also the pricing they have found in recent months. Cheers

Windows are overrated in my opinion. It is hard to actually see anything once the smoke gets going anyway. I have even stopped trying to clean the window on mine.

Reactions: SonnyE
I just purchased the window 40" from cabela's, its a gen 2 with the exhaust stack in the top. I haven't had any problems with it in 4 smokes.
Once I got to looking at the smokers side by side I have no idea why anyone would spend the money on the little 30" MES, thing is small. I guess if you're only smoking a steak or pork butt it might be fine but if your making jerky, sausages or want to took some ribs get the 40".

Thank you all, I appreciate your time for replying.

I don't know if I "need" the 40 inch, and it is double the price of the current hybrid 30-inch model I am looking at, but I love the increased space and extra racks, plus the bigger element is going to be helpful to maintain temps/improve recovery.

My main concern is that I am going to have to get this shipped to a carrier and then across the border to me, so I fear it'll be damaged or missing parts. Unlikely, but dealing with cross-border stuff is always difficult. I love the idea of the smoker, but I am wavering on the impact of buying cross-border. It sure does look impressive though. I wouldn't need anything else down the road, so there's that bonus.

I tried calling the Canadian Cabela's and they said they aren't even the same company in Canada, so the warranty isn't honoured here either. That lowers the "value" of the perceived lifetime warranty so who knows. I just wish there were other options here in Canada but I can't find a single gen 2.5 40 inch for sale in Canada (except 3rd party amazon sellers for 900+ dollars). Hmmmm

Just watched a video and it shows a Gen 2.5 in the video. 6 racks. Looks good.
I think so too lol.

I just did my final math and I seemed to have missed about a hundred bucks, so it'll be about 525 all in compared to my original hybrid model linked above for 230. That changes things a bit maybe.

I think so too lol.

I just did my final math and I seemed to have missed about a hundred bucks, so it'll be about 525 all in compared to my original hybrid model linked above for 230. That changes things a bit maybe.

There is a Cabelas in Marysville Washington you could go pick one up at if you can get over there.. Lol Its not far by boat but kinda far by car.

Reactions: Thundamonkey
You've probably seen my opinions all over the place already, but:
Gen #2.5 is best.
Gen #1 is second best.
Try to avoid the MES Gen #2.
MES 40 is a must, unless extenuating circumstances like living in BC makes it too hard to happen.

I started with an MES 30 without a Window, and I would never again buy an MES 30 or an MES without a Window.
It's easy to clean, and if it's kept clean you can see quite good.

Bear

There is a Cabelas in Marysville Washington you could go pick one up at if you can get over there.. Lol Its not far by boat but kinda far by car.
It isn't crazy far, but the ferry and time is more than the savings I'd have of having it shipped. I'm looking at various options right now, but I still really want this one lol

You've probably seen my opinions all over the place already, but:
Gen #2.5 is best.
Gen #1 is second best.
Try to avoid the MES Gen #2.
MES 40 is a must, unless extenuating circumstances like living in BC makes it too hard to happen.

I started with an MES 30 without a Window, and I would never again buy an MES 30 or an MES without a Window.
It's easy to clean, and if it's kept clean you can see quite good.

Bear
I agree, and I am aiming for the 2.5. I think I can easily manage with a 30 right now, but in a few years, who knows. I like the idea of having room to grow, just not sure how much that idea if worth cost wise :)

If I were you and really wanted that MES 40, I'd just make a weekend of it and drive down. Nowhere in Washington is very far from BC. The biggest PIA would be the ferry ride over to Vancouver and back. Just don't forget to figure in an extra 5% GST on the Cdn dollar equivalent when you go through customs on the way home.
Me, I just have a MES 30 Gen 1. It's more than big enough for Miss Linda and me. And, contrary to most people, I could care less about a window--glass doesn't make good Q.
Gary

If I were you and really wanted that MES 40, I'd just make a weekend of it and drive down. Nowhere in Washington is very far from BC. The biggest PIA would be the ferry ride over to Vancouver and back. Just don't forget to figure in an extra 5% GST on the Cdn dollar equivalent when you go through customs on the way home.
Me, I just have a MES 30 Gen 1. It's more than big enough for Miss Linda and me. And, contrary to most people, I could care less about a window--glass doesn't make good Q.
Gary
I hear you, I am open to making the drive of it, although I don't know how feasible a few days away from home is going to be. I'd be more inclined to just bite the bullet and buy the damn thing and have it brought over for local pickup. The extra 100ish bucks to have that service done is well below the cost of the ferries alone (170 for both ways) let alone all the other jazz. As for the window, I can see it being a neat bonus, but not ever having one, I am fine with staying without one :)

I've been searching all over the internet to find the price history of this smoker and can't seem to find anything recent. The lowest price I found was 299 early in 2017, so not too sure how "great" this 279 price is. I know it's solid, but has anyone ever seen it lower? I know I don't have a time machine to get it lower but it'd be good to get an idea of the price fluctuations and planning a potential trip to get one. Thanks

I've been searching all over the internet to find the price history of this smoker and can't seem to find anything recent. The lowest price I found was 299 early in 2017, so not too sure how "great" this 279 price is. I know it's solid, but has anyone ever seen it lower? I know I don't have a time machine to get it lower but it'd be good to get an idea of the price fluctuations and planning a potential trip to get one. Thanks

I can't help much with the pricing without a Window, but normally the lowest prices I've seen for a Gen #2.5 MES 40 with window are between $279 and $329. I think the ones without windows are generally $50 or more less than with Window.

And as for the Window, you're probably right, like Gary, if you never had one, you might not miss it.
Back in 1967 I bought my first car with Air Conditioning, because I couldn't buy it without.
I didn't want it then, but I never wanted a car or truck without air again, once I had it in my '67 Dodge.

Bear

I can't help much with the pricing without a Window, but normally the lowest prices I've seen for a Gen #2.5 MES 40 with window are between $279 and $329. I think the ones without windows are generally $50 or more less than with Window.

And as for the Window, you're probably right, like Gary, if you never had one, you might not miss it.
Back in 1967 I bought my first car with Air Conditioning, because I couldn't buy it without.
I didn't want it then, but I never wanted a car or truck without air again, once I had it in my '67 Dodge.

Bear

Is the 279-299 pricing you refer to for the 6 rack mode or the 4 rack? I've also seen some models with room for 6 racks but only come with 4. I haven't seen a 6 rack (especially with 6 racks included) for this low, although I haven't been looking for a too long.

I got a call from a friend who says their friend is willing to hit Cabela's for me this weekend, so fingers crossed he can fit it in his car. I have left him a message to confirm his vehicle and see what might work for him. Time will tell lol. Thanks for your help everyone

So I have a MES 30 Gen 2 windowless that I got from Bass Pro Shops several years ago. I use it around once a week.

This is the one with the side smoke stack and the narrow deep water pan. Reading the reviews of this smoker this is the “dud”’that MB sold.

That said, I LOVE IT!!!! So easy to use and produces great flavor. I regularly smoke full packers on it, though I just cut them in half and smoke on two racks. I even smoked one a day ago when the overnight temp was a 1F during my smoke and the MB did not fail. Smoked temp set to 240F

I like the 30” and do not see the size as a limitation as I have smoked a full packer brisket and two pork shoulders all at the same time. See post below

https://smokingmeatforums.com/threa...30-or-carniverous-maximus-with-q-view.171045/

I also have the stand and added castors so I can roll it around instead of lifting it.

I believe whatever you get you will not be disappointed. Would definitely get another MES again

So I have a MES 30 Gen 2 windowless that I got from Bass Pro Shops several years ago. I use it around once a week.

This is the one with the side smoke stack and the narrow deep water pan. Reading the reviews of this smoker this is the “dud”’that MB sold.

That said, I LOVE IT!!!! So easy to use and produces great flavor. I regularly smoke full packers on it, though I just cut them in half and smoke on two racks. I even smoked one a day ago when the overnight temp was a 1F during my smoke and the MB did not fail. Smoked temp set to 240F

I like the 30” and do not see the size as a limitation as I have smoked a full packer brisket and two pork shoulders all at the same time. See post below

https://smokingmeatforums.com/threa...30-or-carniverous-maximus-with-q-view.171045/

I also have the stand and added castors so I can roll it around instead of lifting it.

I believe whatever you get you will not be disappointed. Would definitely get another MES again

Thanks for that, I am feeling pretty excited about getting my new rig. Nice looking product you've made there too!

I already have a little dolly I used for my bradley and will put the MES on that as well to help move it around. Should be awesome, just trying to tie up some loose ends on a friend picking it up for me. Cheers

Is the 279-299 pricing you refer to for the 6 rack mode or the 4 rack? I've also seen some models with room for 6 racks but only come with 4. I haven't seen a 6 rack (especially with 6 racks included) for this low, although I haven't been looking for a too long.

I got a call from a friend who says their friend is willing to hit Cabela's for me this weekend, so fingers crossed he can fit it in his car. I have left him a message to confirm his vehicle and see what might work for him. Time will tell lol. Thanks for your help everyone

Make sure your friend knows which one is the Gen #2, so he doesn't pick that one up for you.
A few people like theirs, but no sense taking a chance on it when you know about it ahead of time.
The Gen #2.5 is by far the best.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky