Sportsman Elite digital controller question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DStrick

Original poster
Feb 14, 2024
Afternoon, I have a 40" master-built sportsman elite smoker and the control panel is no longer working. Unfortunately, this smoker is no longer produced and I am curious if anyone has or knows of a replacement panel or board that could be used. Love the smoker and the newer ones just aren't the same as this one. The model number is 20075415 Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the absolute perfect time to consider using a PID controller.

tallbm tallbm and JC in GB JC in GB are our resident PID gurus and I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

And this is the ideal PID controller:

Last edited:
Afternoon, I have a 40" master-built sportsman elite smoker and the control panel is no longer working. Unfortunately, this smoker is no longer produced and I am curious if anyone has or knows of a replacement panel or board that could be used. Love the smoker and the newer ones just aren't the same as this one. The model number is 20075415 Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there and welcome!
Amazon has a few sellers that are doing replacement Masterbuilt smoker controllers but I didn't see one for your model and other parts places seem to be out. I don't trust masterbuilt to actually get it for you either as their customer service is reported to be horrible.

The electronics and wire connectors are the weak point of the masterbuilt electric smokers (MES) and the body is by far the strength, that part is rock solid.

So your options are limited but a very good option is to do the simple rewire (cut ends off 4 wires and wire nut to make 2 whole wires) and slap on a PID controller.

It would run you at least $150 to do this BUT you are now turning your MES into something that performs better than $1,000 electric smoker units out there.
I always say it's like turning a Golf Cart into a Ferrari and it will run 50x better then anything masterbuilt makes brand new.

Additionally, if you replace the crappy spade connectors, and do this rewire job, you can keep this smoker running through anything short of it getting hit by a car :D

So really you are vastly improving something you loved to be something soooooooo much better and longer lasting. Beats buying another new one just for it to possibly have the same issues within 3months to 3 years.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: JIMSMOKES
Hi there and welcome!
Amazon has a few sellers that are doing replacement Masterbuilt smoker controllers but I didn't see one for your model and other parts places seem to be out. I don't trust masterbuilt to actually get it for you either as their customer service is reported to be horrible.

The electronics and wire connectors are the weak point of the masterbuilt electric smokers (MES) and the body is by far the strength, that part is rock solid.

So your options are limited but a very good option is to do the simple rewire (cut ends off 4 wires and wire nut to make 2 whole wires) and slap on a PID controller.

It would run you at least $150 to do this BUT you are now turning your MES into something that performs better than $1,000 electric smoker units out there.
I always say it's like turning a Golf Cart into a Ferrari and it will run 50x better then anything masterbuilt makes brand new.

Additionally, if you replace the crappy spade connectors, and do this rewire job, you can keep this smoker running through anything short of it getting hit by a car :D

So really you are vastly improving something you loved to be something soooooooo much better and longer lasting. Beats buying another new one just for it to possibly have the same issues within 3months to 3 years.

I hope this info helpsThank you for the response. Would you by chance have a link to the exact part that i could use. I would very much like to keep and use the same unit. Also, Master Built customer service is extremely dissapointing to say the least. Appreciate the help!

D DStrick you reply got lost in the quote . I tried to pull it out and repost it , but it wouldn't let me . When you quote a post , make sure you post outside of it .
Like this ,
I have a 40" master-built sportsman elite smoker
Reply here ,,,

Anyway , Norm put a link to the controller in post #2 . I have that one on an MES 30 . They work fantastic .

Reactions: DStrick and tallbm
Thank you. MB customer service is awful. I was wondering if the wires that you refer to are the existing two wires for the original controller. I see the replacement of the connector post which is extremely helpful. Thanks for the answers and help.

Thank you. MB customer service is awful. I was wondering if the wires that you refer to are the existing two wires for the original controller. I see the replacement of the connector post which is extremely helpful. Thanks for the answers and help.
Kind of.
Here is a very detailed post with pictures and all about doing the simple rewire of an MES to then use with a PID controller:
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/

When you cut the ends off 4 hours and wire nut to make 2 new wires you will be disconnecting the existing wiring from the lower circuitboard. That circuit board has smaller additional wires that talk to/from the stock controller.
So when you rewire you basically are disconnecting from all of that and now the MES plug will feed power to the heating element (while keeping the safety switch in the mix).
This is a dumb uncontrolled behavior so the heating plug to the MES now feeds power to the heating element nonstop. This is why a new controller is needed.

With a PID Controller things will now be arranged as so:

1. Plug rewired MES into PID controller
  2. Plug PID Controller into the wall out let and drop the PID temp sensor probe down the MES top vent and clip the temp probe to the underside of the bottom smoker rack. It will now read smoker temps.
  3. Enter into the PID controller, the Set smoker temp you want your smoker to hit
  4. The PID controller will now feed power On/Off from the wall outlet and feed it to the MES plug (which goes to the heating element) until the smoker heats up and then the PID will control to hit and hold the Set temp. It usually holds dead on but if not you can expect about 1-3F degrees from your Set temp, so very very preciese.
  5. That's it! Super precise, no temp swings, even temp in the smoker!
If you upgrade the wire spade connectors to be quality hi temp ones then you don't have to worry about those things corroding away. I'd bet money that if you look at the ones connecting to your heating element and the safety limit switch you will already see corrosion. It doesn't take very long and then they will overheat, rust, and burn away. Often also burning up your safety limit switch, it is another area of failure due to the poor cheap connectors and the cheap plastic switch itself.

Let me know if this info helps :D

Reactions: hoity toit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky