Old MBES control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishingaddict

Original poster
Oct 5, 2015
Hey everybody. I have about an 8 or 9 year old masterbuilt electric smoker, model 20071414. It's time to replace the control panel. I've fine this one before at about the 5 year mark. The problem is that the control panel is discontinued and I can't find one anywhere. Is there another control and bezel combo that can be put together as a replacement? Has anyone done this? Maybe in the process, updated to a Bluetooth or wifi controller?? If so, let me know what parts you used. I can buy a replacement smoker for $250-350, so it probably doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on this, but I hate to throw out the smoker if I can make it new with a controller and a can of grill paint.
20230612_214029.jpg

Hey everybody. I have about an 8 or 9 year old masterbuilt electric smoker, model 20071414. It's time to replace the control panel. I've fine this one before at about the 5 year mark. The problem is that the control panel is discontinued and I can't find one anywhere. Is there another control and bezel combo that can be put together as a replacement? Has anyone done this? Maybe in the process, updated to a Bluetooth or wifi controller?? If so, let me know what parts you used. I can buy a replacement smoker for $250-350, so it probably doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on this, but I hate to throw out the smoker if I can make it new with a controller and a can of grill paint.View attachment 667785

Hello and welcome!

You are in luck my friend.
For about $150 and doing a simple rewire (cut the ends off 4 wires and then wire nut together to form 2 complete wires).

It will make your smoker easily 25x better than it was brand new or anything Masterbuilt makes brand new!!! It hits and holds temp dead on or within 1-2 degrees.

You can read about the rewire here

In short:
  • $150 for a PID controller to control the power/heat to your smoker and hold temp
  • The simple rewire so that the MES plug will bypass all the MES electronics and simply feed power to the heating element
  • The PID controller will have a temperature probe (thermometer) you drop down the vent and clip to the bottom of the lowest rack and that will read the temp in the smoker
  • You enter the temp you want in the PID controller and it will hit and hold the temp in the smoker by feeding the power to it :D

Ask all the questions you may have but know you will find up with something WAY better than what you had and something as good as you can get under the $1,000 range :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky