Cabela's vs Traeger pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoker4x4

Original poster
Dec 12, 2023
Hi, I'm new to the smoker world and I'm looking to get a wood pellet smoker.

I have some questions about pellet smokers, specifically Cabela's vs Traeger. The store nearest to me that sells pellet smokers (Cabela's) sells those two brands and I was wondering if there is a difference in the quality of the finished product of the food in how it tastes? Does one manufacturer smoke food better than the other if it's even noticeable?

Is there anything I should be looking for and want in a smoker that's important and anything I should avoid in a smoker?

Do any of you buy your wood pellets at Cabela's and how are the brands and pellets they sell? Are they good quality?

Reactions: JLeonard
From what I've seen, Cabela's grill is probably a Pit Boss. For me, the Traeger would be better in the long run since they would have better support.

As for pellets, I usually buy them at Lowes or HD for the price. A quick look at how much dust is in a bag goes to the quality of the pressing.

It might be helpful getting information if you were to fill in your general location. There may be forum members that also live in your area and can help you find better options for both grills and pellets.

Reactions: JLeonard
All the Cabelas branded pellet poopers I inspected are rebranded Pit Boss. Some have great luck with them and some do not. Personally, I wouldn't get one nor a Treager.
Do they have a Camp Chef in the store? I see they have a good discount on the DLX24.

Cabelas pellets used to be Lumberjack I don't remember what is in the bag now.

All the Cabelas branded pellet poopers I inspected are rebranded Pit Boss. Some have great luck with them and some do not. Personally, I wouldn't get one nor a Treager.
Do they have a Camp Chef in the store? I see they have a good discount on the DLX24.

I have a DLX and it's a beast. It goes on discounts quite often from Sportsmans. You'd have to call to see if Cabellas stocks it.

I would set your sights on a Camp Chef and don't look back. They're the only ones that:

1) Have a pull handle for the ash catcher. No more having to take everything out of the grill to clean the pellet pot chamber after every cook. Yes, you still need to clean everything once in awhile, but not every cook.

2) Side Kick accessory. Get the damned sidekick, right away. It's serious professional style burner at a $199 price (goes on sale all the time, it's $199 on amazon right now). 28,000 BTUs is serious. Boom, you have a small gas grill at the same time, and can utilize the gas burner and a wok to make some serious stir fry. Comes with a cast iron griddle too. Propane tank hangs on the back of the camp chef, so it's halarious and cool looking.

We use the gas burner just as often as we do the pellet grill. We make lots of stirfrys, and that gas burner will absolutely produce better food than 95% of gas burners in most homes.

I notice the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro is more expensive than the DLX24. Are there any big differences between the two to justify the extra cost? Any differences in quality of finished product of the smoked meat? Does the DLX24 come with a smoke box and pellet purge like the Woodwind Pro does?

Last edited:
Pellet purge is probably the thing I explain above. All camp chefs have it (it's probably a patented design). Maybe it's something to do with empting the hopper easily if you are changing pellets. DLX doesn't have anything special there.

The Woodwind may produce "smoker" meats because it has the smoke box whereas the DLX series is more of a basic quality pellet grill. The woodwind is also like, 3-4x more than a DLX.

Personally, I'd get a decent DLX so you can enjoy the convienence of a good quality pellet grill, and spend half of the huge amount you will have left over for a Weber Smokey Mountain which will produce more of a serious smoke than any Pellet Grill.

Sounds like a good idea. Also, even if the DLX does not have a smoke box I can buy one or two pellet stick tube's off amazon and fill it with pellets for extra smoke.

Reactions: fendersrule
I wouldn’t go for anything but a Reqtec. I am bias as I have one I have used for years with zero issues. Sits in the snow all winter and fires up every time regardless of temps.

Honestly at this point, I would expect all pellet grills to be equally reliable and wouldn't shop-brandspecific but moreso instead shop by features and cost. It isn't like 10 years ago when Treager was it. Others have not only caught up, but have been adding innovative features that can transform the pit more than what Treager has--i.e. Campchef and the sidekick accessories as well as their seperate smoke box and easy ash dump. Campchef definitely has been out-innovating treager.

Rec Tec is fine also, nothing super innovative comes to mind about them but like I'd say probably the same reliability as everyone else. In-fact, you can kinda argue that Treager has taken a dive on the realiability front recently, but not so sure if that's just my bias of being around a few Treager grills that needed servicing recently.

Like you, my Camp Chef has been outside in the elements rain/snow for the past 4 years. The only thing I ever had to do was to replace the thermometer, which is a common consumable part. $10 and 10 minutes. It's never failed me.

Honestly at this point, I would expect all pellet grills to be equally reliable and wouldn't shop-brandspecific but moreso instead shop by features and cost. It isn't like 10 years ago when Treager was it. Others have not only caught up, but have been adding innovative features that can transform the pit more than what Treager has--i.e. Campchef and the sidekick accessories as well as their seperate smoke box and easy ash dump. Campchef definitely has been out-innovating treager.

Rec Tec is fine also, nothing super innovative comes to mind about them but like I'd say probably the same reliability as everyone else. In-fact, you can kinda argue that Treager has taken a dive on the realiability front recently, but not so sure if that's just my bias of being around a few Treager grills that needed servicing recently.

Like you, my Camp Chef has been outside in the elements rain/snow for the past 4 years. The only thing I ever had to do was to replace the thermometer, which is a common consumable part. $10 and 10 minutes. It's never failed me.
Sorta agree…people I knew with Treagers had more issues than I would accept for the investment. I think there are some good units out there, but most of all research the hell out of your top picks. I went deep with an Excel to break down cost, features, service, reviews etc. Obviously you can spend a lot on a nice one, but I (and most) had a limit on the buy. Some have seemingly nice features, but for me I just wanted a solid smoker. I have a great gasser and I feel units with too many add ons are just asking for breakage and compromise. Just my $0.02 worth.

I love my pit boss ! And the option to sear! Everyone has there own opinions thats just mine

I dont think they're Pit Boss made...I was told the Cabelas Pro Series are actually made by Camp Chef...and looking at them side by side in the store they look almost identical to the Camp Chef Woodwind from the sliding second shelf, hopper shape, ash can...they look like they could come off the same line.

Sounds like a good idea. Also, even if the DLX does not have a smoke box I can buy one or two pellet stick tube's off amazon and fill it with pellets for extra smoke.
I have had the Woodwind Pro for a few months now. The smoke drawer is a game changer. I have always used pellet tubes (on my last two pellet grills) and they really don't provide much additional smoke flavor. The chunks of wood I put in the drawer give me the smoke flavor I have been looking or for all these years. If you can't or don't want to spend the extra money, I like the advice that someone else gave. Just buy an actual smoker that uses real wood if you want that smoke flavor as well as the cheaper pellet grill.

I have had the Woodwind Pro for a few months now. The smoke drawer is a game changer. I have always used pellet tubes (on my last two pellet grills) and they really don't provide much additional smoke flavor. The chunks of wood I put in the drawer give me the smoke flavor I have been looking or for all these years. If you can't or don't want to spend the extra money, I like the advice that someone else gave. Just buy an actual smoker that uses real wood if you want that smoke flavor as well as the cheaper pellet grill.
I'm new at this, how many wood chunks should be used in the smoke drawer and what flavor?

Red meat?
Poultry?

I agree... in the market for a pellet grill and decided on the Woodwind Pro just for the smoke tray. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Cabelas Pro Series because they're made by Camp Chef and almost identical to the Woodwind grills...but ultimately that tray won me over. I'm anxious for my grill to get here!

I'm new at this, how many wood chunks should be used in the smoke drawer and what flavor?

Red meat?
Poultry?
I am new to this smoker and still experimenting with it, but it depends on what you are smoking. I did some smoked stuffed chicken breasts without using the drawer, smoke level 5 (I assume these other higher end pellet grills have adjustable smoke levels). They were great with a very light smoke flavor. The next time I made them I used smoke level 1 and put a mix of pecan and apple chunks in the drawer. Still great with a pretty strong smoke flavor. I would go a little lighter on the chunks next time for the chicken. I did a brisket and I used oak chunks and I filled the drawer three times (the first three hours). the smoke flavor was great, something you could never get with just pellets. Look for recipes that tell you what flavor pellets to use for what you are smoking, then use the same in the drawer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky