brining turkey for tomorrow, used ACV rather than just Apple Cider(opps)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinq13

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 21, 2017
south central Pennsylvania
Its been a while since I posted on here and I thought since I need advise, whats a better place to ask!

So just like the title says, I'm brining a turkey and accidentally used ACV( apple cider vinegar) rather than just plain Apple cider. for the ratio of ACV to the brine in total it wasn't much but I still would like you guys input. Am I good to go or not? the brine is basically comprised of 2 gallon of water with a 1:2 part ratio of salt to brown sugar( 1 cup of salt to 2 cup of brown sugar) with other aromatics, bay leafs orange etc. but I used about 2 to 3 cups of ACV in the mix as well, you guys think it'll be pickled or you think I'll be safe? I know ACV is not as harsh as normal white vinegar plus with the adding flavoring of the apple part, I don't see why I wouldn't be alright. I know we will sometime add vinegar to a "brine" when thawing out wild game meat which as wild turkey or even deer( if we know the people might not like the gamey-ness with it).

As always all suggests and input is appreciated!

Just re-read your post lol. 2-3 cups might be a bit strong tasting but wont hurt the Turkey. I use a splash of acv in my Turkey brine

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't guess you tasted the brine before you put the bird in it. If so was the ACV taste too strong ?
I guessing you probably didn't add more water to the brine

Gary

I also vote OK but am with gary s gary s . ALWAYS taste the brine. Saved my a$$ more than a few times.

There's a famous joint near me that is known for brining with vinegar so you might have made a lucky mistake.

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't guess you tasted the brine before you put the bird in it. If so was the ACV taste too strong ?
I guessing you probably didn't add more water to the brine

Gary
So, actually I did taste the brine, well at least stuck my finger down in it and tried it that way. It wasn't overly powering as in to strong but could tell it was there. Now I will also say that that was not in the 2 gallons of water added, this was only about 2 liters of water I heated to help dissolve the salt, sugar and help with getting all the flavors to be introduced so that mixture was like 2-3 cups of ACV to 2 liters( the electric kettle I got goes by liters) and it still wasn't "weird face making" strong.

So I guess you guys kinda helped me answer my own question

Been adding 1C ACV to 1 Gallon of Brine, 30 years, No Sugar! Result is the most requested Roast Chicken or Turkey among my family members. You will be fine with that Brine, though more water wouldn't hurt. Dry the skin well, overnight uncovered in the refer. Rub the Skin with 1 Tablespoon Baking POWDER, then your rub, No Salt! Provide to smoke at 300°+, if possible. Or at 225 to 275, to an IT of 150 in the thigh, then crisp the skin and finish the cook in a 425°oven. 165 in the Breast and 175 in the Thigh...JJ

So I got the bird in the brine around I'd say 10ish this morning, You think Pulling it out tonight to let dry and firm up would give it enough time in brine or should I do an overnight-er in brine? Also, I am going to be using my char-broil big easy oil-less fryer( haven't had it out in a while) so I know I will not have any issues with crispy skin

Looked back...If you used 1 Cup Salt in 2L, that will be a Strong Brine. 1 Cup to 4L water is a standard brine. I would soak no longer than 6 hours, rinse and let dry overnight...JJ

Looked back...If you used 1 Cup Salt in 2L, that will be a Strong Brine. 1 Cup to 4L water is a standard brine. I would soak no longer than 6 hours, rinse and let dry overnight...JJ

the total brine is 2 gallons, I only heated about 2 liters worth to disslove everything in and then adding the extra water to equal out to 2 gallons

So a 1/2 salt brine mix over night is what I do, so I say you are fine to a cup of salt to 2 gal water with an overnight brine. Then I rinse very well and pat it dry. Wonderful bird. My finish temp is a bit under USDA reg.

the total brine is 2 gallons, I only heated about 2 liters worth to disslove everything in and then adding the extra water to equal out to 2 gallons

Ok, misunderstood. Overnight would be Perfect with another night in the refer. If Crispy Skin is you thing. I wish you could buy Just Poultry Skin, locally! Not enough of a JEWISH community for Gribenes to be available...JJ

Chef Jimmy, I ask about your "Just Poultry Skin > is this a particular product? I tried to search this site and go goed the nets and quickly came up with out a quick result. As I'm a just a lonely meat mopper, :emoji_grin: what is it if I may ask?

In many Jewish Families, especially where Bubbe (Grandma) is cooking, Schmaltz (Chicken Fat) is the magic ingredient and cooking Grease that is used. The equivalent of frying in Pork lard. Similar to Lard rendering, Pork Fat is cooked down until the lard is rendered. The remaining solid are Cracklins. To get large quantities of Schmaltz, Chicken Skin is the source. In heavily populated Jewish communities Chicken Skin is sold by the pound at the Kosher Butcher Shops or Grocery. The fat or Schmaltz is rendered slowly and the remaining skin (Gribenes) are eaten as a snack or mixed with Fried Onions and used as a topping for a variety of dishes and salads to add flavor and crunch. The links below are sources for Raw Chicken Skin and bags of Fried Skin on Ebay. Amazon carries the crispy skins too...JJ

There you go buy whole chicken breast and then skin them and make boneless skin less chicken breast then you will have some chicken skin.

Warren

I strip the skin from inexpensive whole Chickens, on sale, for Smaltz and Gribenes, then use the meat and carcass for Soup, Stew or Tacos.
DUCK SKIN makes killer Cracklins and lots of Tasty Fat for frying potatoes, vegetables or anything. Healthier than Veg Oil too...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky