turkey breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
Basic stuff here. I haven't smoked a turkey breast yet but I am going to give it a try this week. This will be a simple smoke. I am probably not going to inject or brine. I have read that some have smoked turkey breast without brining with good results.

I am using an 18 inch WSM with pitmaster IQ controller. Will be using apple for the smoke. I am going to shoot for 250 cooking temp. I was really not prepared for doing a turkey breast is the reason I am trying to keep everything as simple as possible. What about a rub? I have read that some folks just use kosher salt and pepper.

I don't get to use the smoker as much as I would like so every new thing is a learning experience LOL.

All help and advice appreciated, Pete

If you're not injecting or brining then I would get your favorite poultry rub under the skin for some flavor. At 250* pull the breast at 160* cover with aluminum foil, and let the carryover bring it up to 165*. Also don't expect crispy skin cooking at 250*. Apple wood should be fine. It's a nice tasting mild wood. Most importantly don't sweat it and enjoy the bird.

Chris

If you're not injecting or brining then I would get your favorite poultry rub under the skin for some flavor. At 250* pull the breast at 160* cover with aluminum foil, and let the carryover bring it up to 165*. Also don't expect crispy skin cooking at 250*. Apple wood should be fine. It's a nice tasting mild wood. Most importantly don't sweat it and enjoy the bird.

Chris
Should I smoke it a bit hotter? What would you recommend?

Basic stuff here. I haven't smoked a turkey breast yet but I am going to give it a try this week. This will be a simple smoke. I am probably not going to inject or brine. I have read that some have smoked turkey breast without brining with good results.

I am using an 18 inch WSM with pitmaster IQ controller. Will be using apple for the smoke. I am going to shoot for 250 cooking temp. I was really not prepared for doing a turkey breast is the reason I am trying to keep everything as simple as possible. What about a rub? I have read that some folks just use kosher salt and pepper.

I don't get to use the smoker as much as I would like so every new thing is a learning experience LOL.

All help and advice appreciated, Pete
Hi there and welcome!
I'm always a fan of Salt, Pepper, Onion, and Garlic (SPOG) for seasoning.

Not brining or injecting aye... well get some seasoning under the skin and it wouldn't hurt to get some butter pats under there too.

I also agree, pull at 160F internal temp of the meat.

Finally, if you plan to have edible skin, I would smoke it at 325F.
Chicken and Turkey skin will be leather if not cooked at a hot enough time or if not jumping through some serious time consuming preparation tricks. Heat will get the job done on the skin and at 325F likely get it good and crispy for you as well :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky