Bourbon Trail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Next month, we are doing a bourbon trail to include about a dozen distilleries in and around Louisville, Bardstown, and Frankfort. I was looking for suggestions on places to eat that aren't necessarily BBQ related. For the most part I'm looking for something a little different, but a good BBQ joint recommendation is always welcomed, too...

Christie's diner
12810 Dixie Hwy, Louisville, KY 40272

Kpot. (dont eat much before you go here)
2860 RICHMOND RD,
LEXINGTON, KY 40509

Bardstown burger.
126 N 3rd St, Bardstown, KY 40004

Christie's diner
12810 Dixie Hwy, Louisville, KY 40272

Kpot. (dont eat much before you go here)
2860 RICHMOND RD,
LEXINGTON, KY 40509

Bardstown burger.
126 N 3rd St, Bardstown, KY 40004
Exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. Have you got a recommendation on what to order? We'll eat just about anything...

Exactly what I'm looking for, thank you. Have you got a recommendation on what to order? We'll eat just about anything...
We been there 4 times, just about everything is good except I didnt like the meat ball or the fish rounds. You can get loads of food to put in the hot pot or the middle bbq, so order easy because they won't let you take any out.

I live pretty close to the start of the BT, Boundary Oak is about 8 miles from me. Some of the ours are kinda long like the Makers Mark, most places you can go into the gift shops without booking a tour. Do visit Buffalo Trace, 4 Roses, Heaven Hill and if you get to Louisville see the Angels Envy, there you can pull the handle and fill your own bottle.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Do visit Buffalo Trace, 4 Roses, Heaven Hill and if you get to Louisville see the Angels Envy, there you can pull the handle and fill your own bottle.
All of these places are on our list. We actually got a tour slot for Buffalo Trace which is almost impossible to get. Our list includes, in no particular order, BT, Maker's, Castle & Key, Woodford, Heaven Hill, Luxe Row, Beam, Willet, Angel's Envy, Four Roses, Mitcher's, Old Forester, Wild Turkey...

Older thread, but I wanted to update it, especially because of the advice of BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker ...Thanks Rick!

Well as many know, a week after I started this thread, our life got turned upside down and we weren't sure how it would end up. BUT, we finally made our bourbon trail trip and it was something that I absolutely recommend. Just hearing the history of bourbon, distilling, the distilleries, and all the characters involved would have been enough, but the area is beautiful, the distillery and rickhouse smells intoxicating, and the vast areas of rickhouses is amazing with each holding tens of thousands of barrels of bourbon. Yes, you are reading that right...many rickhouses hold 50,000 barrels or more.

We toured Buffalo Trace, Luxe Row, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Castle and Key, Woodford, and Maker's Mark. Buffalo Trace is the hardest ticket to get for a guided tour, but you can walk in. As for the basic distilling process, it's basically all the same everywhere, but each distillery adds its own touches to make their bourbon their own. The Maker's Mark 46 story is an interesting story as is Larceny and John E. Fitzgerald, but every distillery has a story and they're all fascinating!

We spent a good bit of time around Bardstown and ate at several places there. Bardstown Burger, Mammy's Kitchen & Bar, and Scout & Scholar are all good and within 2 blocks or so of each other. Bardstown Burger on 3rd St. is a must if you're in the area and if you're lucky, you might even get a table inside😄. Locals Food Hub & Pizza Pub near Buffalo Trace was good, too.

I just wanted to update this thread and let anyone interested know that this is something they should do...even if you don't like bourbon...and if you like bourbon, all the better. If you like bourbon, hard to find bottles in your area may be readily available at MSRP at the distilleries...no mark up. I was able to buy bottles that I've only heard about, such as Elijah Craig C923, Booker's Uncut & Unfiltered, Blanton's, and Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch, just to name a few, all at MSRP, but never seen around me.

I can see this becoming an annual pilgrimage, at least until we've visited them all, and maybe then we'll start over...😄

Last edited:
The bourbon trail was one of our best trips we have taken. Parked at the Horse Farm for a week and hit the trail. After doing a lot of tasting, I determined that Jim Beam was the worst bourbon on the planet. Makers Mark was good. Buffalo Trace was good but the best for me was the Woodford Reserve, double oaked. Its so good, I don't even share it with my friends.. I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey Honey that the master distiller signed for me while he was in the tasting room.

When I was AE last year they were just getting ready to open the new room bottle your own from the pull handle.

When I was AE last year they were just getting ready to open the new room bottle your own from the pull handle.
I look forward to that. We each bottled our own Larceny at Heaven Hill and my wife got to dip her own bottle of Maker's Mark...

Planning to take Bryce to Canton, OH to the Football Hall of Fame over spring break next March. Will be taking 65 from Nashville to Louisville.....Might have to check out a couple of spots on the trail as we go. Will be referring back to this thread for ideas when it comes time.

Jim

The bourbon trail was one of our best trips we have taken. Parked at the Horse Farm for a week and hit the trail. After doing a lot of tasting, I determined that Jim Beam was the worst bourbon on the planet. Makers Mark was good. Buffalo Trace was good but the best for me was the Woodford Reserve, double oaked. Its so good, I don't even share it with my friends.. I do have a bottle of Wild Turkey Honey that the master distiller signed for me while he was in the tasting room.
My friend and I had a similar revelation with WR-DO while we were there a couple years ago. Sounds like a good time was had by one and all.
I had a Heaven Hill tour lined up, but the workers went on strike the day of, and it was closed to visitors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky