Trail Bologna - Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RedSkip

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 11, 2020
Sienna, TX
This weekend I dabbled in making some Trail Bologna for the first time. I was able to borrow a 5# Mighty Bite stuffer from a colleague of mine which was a life saver. The bologna turned out great in flavor, but I have a question in regards to the final product. Why is the collagen casing sticking to the meat?

Recipe:
8 # Gemsbok (African Antelope)
2# Pork Butt
Cure, Salt, Spices from a 10# Con Yeager Trail Bologna kit.
Collagen Casings - packaging said to soak in water for 30 minutes prior to stuffing.

Cooking Process
1 Hour @ 100 F
1 Hour @ 115 F
1 Hour @ 130 F
1 Hour @ 145 F - Insert pit probes during this stage.
1.5 Hour @ 175 F until 155F internal temperature with an immediate ice bath after.

My assumption to my question is that the fat content in the mixture was too low, which is causing the removal difficult. However, could it be the bloom in the refrigerator was a mistake? Did I ramp the temperature up too quickly? Thoughts?

1687185255513.png

10# mixed together with spice kit.

1687185305925.png

Mighty Bite setup with painter's tape and sticks to protect the countertop.

1687185369919.png

Con Yeager Kit

1687185423856.png

Collagen stuffed trail bologna, I used traditional twine as a backup.

1687185491628.png

Smoking along, had to rotate them around to get even coloring in the beginning. I later inserted a pit probe into three of them and they were tracking closely together.

1687185565159.png

Cold smoking in the warmer was easier than anticipated. Shirley is a reverse flow offset.

1687185625921.png

Ice Bath to stop the cooking process.

1687185666740.png

Sliced after a 2 hour "bloom" in the refrigerator.

1687185712477.png

Collagen casing sticking to the meat, causing removal issues.

Open to ideas, suggestions, and critiques, appreciate your time and thanks for looking!

- Skip

I'm not a sausage maker so cant really give any advice. But looks like it needs some cheddar cheese and ritz crackers. Oh wait...Thats my growling stomach saying that.

Jim

Really looks good . Nice work .
Did you soak the casings before stuffing .
How long did you ice bath ? Try to get the temp below 100 IT .

You cold try soaking them in some water for a bit , then peel the casings .
I looked at the directions , and it says 30 minutes at room temp after ice bath before fridge .
Don't know that it would cause a problem if you didn't .
Those are just comments . Not saying any of them would cause the sticking .
I had some once that came with a kit that were protein lined . They're designed to cling to the meat , and they did . After soaking they came right off .

Really looks good . Nice work .
Did you soak the casings before stuffing .
Yes, for 30 minutes or so per the directions.
How long did you ice bath ? Try to get the temp below 100 IT .
45 minutes or so, but I did not temp the sausages after.
You cold try soaking them in some water for a bit , then peel the casings .
I stuck them in the refrigerator for 2 hours to bloom, I figured that would help. But I think you're leaning down the path of re-hydrating the casing to help it peel.

Shameless bump, any other suggestions or should I let this thread die into the abyss?

Based on the picture of your ice bath I would say it was the reason for the casing to stick. Next time toss the bologna into an ice chest full of ice water so they are submerged for 20 minutes. Then hang them for a couple hours to bloom and then place in fridge.

Not sure about inedible collagen, i use fibrous casings and soak for 45 minutes in 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water. They usually dont stick at but once in awhile they stick alittle but not bad.

Myself, I would try eating it. Could be edible casing. I looked for confirmation but cannot find it. Traditional trail bologna (made like an hour from me in Trail, OH) uses beef casings. PITA to get off... I know lots of people that just eat it rather than peel it.

The Con Yaeger packs of trail use non edible collagen rounds. They are thicker and need more soaking time before stuffing. Many times it's not getting the right protein extraction that causes sticking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky