Speaking of casings...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flash Burn

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 6, 2023
I make a lot of summer sausage. There's 15 lbs in the blast furnace as I'm typing.
The standard casing has always been 60 mm fibrous casings from sausage maker.
I was feeling a little adventurous so I decided to try some collagen casings of the same diameter.

Removed casings from the package, soaked in water for a few minutes until they felt limp and flexible and things went downhill from there.

Collagen casings are too delicate to use hog rings on so I tried tying closed one end with string.
String slips right off...
Finally got a knot tight enough and commenced stuffing.
I barely got a few ozs of meat in and it split.

I typically pack summer sausage very tight.
That wasn't going to happen with the collegen.
So....
I decided fibrous casings were going to continue to be the accepted standard here and gave up on the collagen.

Anyone wanna lay some "know" on me? What's the secret?
Before I waste a perfectly good package of collagen casings.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
As per the info on the package, it says to soak in water for 3-5 minutes.

Also I probably should have mentioned I tied a knot in the casing itself that slipped open twice.

After soaking the casing are very slippery/ slimy and pretty much a pain in my cookies to use for summer sausage.

They may be useful for a different project.
As I said earlier, I pack the casings very tight. After laying block, brick and stone a good portion of my working days I've developed some pretty strong mits.

There's edible and non edible collagen casings . Edible collagen does not get soaked .
If you want to try something different , get some cloth bags .
20211031_121318.jpg
20211101_072220.jpg

There's edible and non edible collagen casings . Edible collagen does not get soaked .
If you want to try something different , get some cloth bags .
View attachment 686688
View attachment 686689
I may try those in the not too distant future.
To be honest, I've always had good results with the fibrous casings and probably ought to leave well enough alone.
You know how it is. Always looking for the better way.
Most of us here are probably borderline OCD when it comes to meats and sausages....

Anyone wanna lay some "know" on me? What's the secret?
Before I waste a perfectly good package of collagen casings.
Start with what you have . Are they non-edible ? I'm assuming they are because of the SS use .
Soak 3 to 5 minutes in salted water . After the soak , wring them out , and stuff .
I did metal studs and drywall for 30 years . Yes , the strength in your hands and arms becomes powerful . Just have to adjust , but I get it . I ripped the counter top off the cabinets on my island cranking the stuffer .
The bags are nice . That's what I use the most .

Edible collagen casings should not be soaked before stuffing. Just load on the horn dry, tie off the end, and stuff away. You don't want to cram them full like you would with fibrous as they are a little more delicate and will blow out if you overstuff.

I tried the collagen casings for SS once and went back to fibrous for the same reasons.

For those that aren't aware, most of the collagen casings that are "large", basically replacements for beef middles, are recommended to be soaked from the manufacturer/supplier. I looked at some I have left that I bought from Waltons, they recommend a 15 minute soak...

Reactions: Flash Burn
I tried the collagen casings for SS once and went back to fibrous for the same reasons.

For those that aren't aware, most of the collagen casings that are "large", basically replacements for beef middles, are recommended to be soaked from the manufacturer/supplier. I looked at some I have left that I bought from Waltons, they recommend a 15 minute soak...
I mentioned the same thing. On the package in big black letters it says to soak in water 3-5 minutes.
I'm sure they'll work in some applications but my summer sausage isn't one of them. I pack the fibrous casings tight so I get a firm sausage which slices thin with ease.

No big thing. Just wanted to try something a little different. Maybe next batch I'll try one of my wife's ankle support socks. Pretty sure I can pack them good an' tight.
Here's a portion of the project in question. Settled down in the fridge overnight preparing for tomorrow's taste test.
IMG_20240125_202519587.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky