Smoked Chicken Marsala

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So the boy is all done with classes so he is sous chef for the wife so she is still on restricted mobility dr orders…..

His first task was to make up focaccia bread for Christmas Eve dressing…… I have to say he did pretty dang good for his first try!
IMG_7195.jpeg

My task was to smoke up some chicken breasts….. these get what I call “the dropped in the sand” seasoning. This is just kinders gen BBQ season seasoned heavy as if dropped in the sand…..

I smoke these on the top rack of the RT 1250 at 265 for 2 hours. I only temp them to make sure they are above 155 in multiple places in the thickest part. They then get covered to rest @ 145 in the house oven for 30 min……
IMG_7198.jpeg

The sliced money shot!!! Just full of flavor and juicy!!!!
IMG_7202.jpeg

The boy made this Marsala sauce following my wife’s direction. I know this is a variation of Tyler Florence’s recipe. It has rendered prosciutto in it as a base flavor!
IMG_7197.jpeg

Next the boy did his magic on some baby Bella’s…..he babies them!
IMG_7196.jpeg

So after a long hard day at work (it’s been crazy!) this plate sure helped me forget it all!!!
IMG_7203.jpeg

Chicken Marsala Money!!!
IMG_7204.jpeg

So just when I thought the day ended up in a home run the wife says oh we (her and the boy) made apple bread pudding! Here it is survey up with some umpqua French vanilla and some of Gordon Ramsey salted bourbon Carmel sauce…..
IMG_7207.jpeg

I had to stop eating cause sweat beads were forming in the forehead! My wife found these sweet tango apples and they are out of this world for baking. These are the same apples I used my TD entry!

IMG_7209.jpeg

I’m fasting for the full day tomorrow now…..I’m topped out!!!!

Last edited:
That all looks wonderful! Got a link to the Tyler Florence Chicken Marsala Recipe?
Here are the base ingredients
IMG_7211.jpeg

However she starts with copped onion and garlic and butter and copped prosciutto which is made into a roux. Then the wine and chicken broth…. She uses her chopped herb blend which is fresh Italian parsley, rosemary, thyme, dry oregano, red pepper flakes, granulated garlic, and salt. All chopped fine.

She finishes with a bit of butter and heavy cream….the cream can be substituted for 1/2 & 1/2 as well!

Ah....the cream is what threw me off....the reason for the light color of the sauce. Thanks for posting the recipe and your wife's modifications. I'd eat a plate and beg for seconds!
Yes the cream is a very nice add, the above was 1/2 & 1/2, it adds a smooth texture to it!

I will add the recipe has the shrooms cooked in the sauce but my wife didn’t like them getting soggy so the change to hard sear and added at the end to give it another dimension

Nice cook on that chicken . Not the easiest thing do do .
Tyler Florence has great info and recipes .

So the boy is all done with classes so he is sous chef for the wife so she is still on restricted mobility dr orders…..

His first task was to make up focaccia bread for Christmas Eve dressing…… I have to say he did pretty dang good for his first try!
View attachment 683907

My task was to smoke up some chicken breasts….. these get what I call “the dropped in the sand” seasoning. This is just kinders gen BBQ season seasoned heavy as if dropped in the sand…..

I smoke these on the top rack of the RT 1250 at 265 for 2 hours. I only temp them to make sure they are above 155 in multiple places if the thickest part. They then get covered to rest @ 145 in the house oven for 30 min……
View attachment 683910

The sliced money shot!!! Just full of flavor and juicy!!!!
View attachment 683911

The boy made this Marsala sauce following my wife’s direction. I know this is a variation of Tyler Florence’s recipe. It has rendered prosciutto in it as a base flavor!
View attachment 683909

Next the boy did his magic on some baby Bella’s…..he babies them!
View attachment 683908

So after a long hard day at work (it’s been crazy!) this plate sure helped me forget it all!!!
View attachment 683912

Chicken Marsala Money!!!
View attachment 683913

So just when I thought the day ended up in a home run the wife says oh we (her and the boy) made apple bread pudding! Here it is survey up with some umpqua French vanilla and some of Gordon Ramsey salted bourbon Carmel sauce…..
View attachment 683914

I had to stop eating cause sweat beads were forming in the forehead! My wife found these sweet tango apples and they are out of this world for baking. These are the same apples I used my TD entry!

View attachment 683915
I’m fasting for the full day tomorrow now…..I’m topped out!!!!
Man I sure wish I was eatin' at your house. That is beautiful!

Beautiful looking meal Civil, even with the schrooms.

Point for sure
Chris

Oh man thats a gorgeous plate and meal. And like you I'd be fasting the next day cause I'd eat myself to hurting.

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
Nice cook on that chicken . Not the easiest thing do do .
Tyler Florence has great info and recipes .
Thanks chop, it is much appreciated! I smoke a batch of chicken like this about every week. So about 45 ish batches in the past year. I use to do 235 for them but a while back was in a hurry so used the 265...... and well I think it leaves them a lot more juicy and because of such more tender, so that is my go to every time now! 265 is becoming my fav temp to cook, the exception is Prime Rib, it is still 235....I already did the testing up to 265 and its still 235 for PR!

Yes Tyler has some great stuff. The rendered prosciutto is a really nice add!
There's nothing about this that we don't LIKE!! Excellent!!
Thanks GS! This is preparation for the prime rib feast in a few days!
Man I sure wish I was eatin' at your house. That is beautiful!
Many thanks RS! With older kids the holidays are about meals together vs hunting for batteries for toys.....LOL

Reactions: Retired Spook
Beautiful looking meal Civil, even with the schrooms.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! We have some "non" shrooms peps in the house hence the add after makes lots of happy faces!
That's an amazing meal!! Lots of great flavors and that sauce sounds amazing.
Thanks jcam. once you get the making a roux down the sauces is rather simple, just layering on the flavors as you go!

When I was studying/learning as a youngster the first two things I was taught to master was making clear stock and the second was a roux. Almost everything in the kitchen is build from these two things.....
Oh man thats a gorgeous plate and meal. And like you I'd be fasting the next day cause I'd eat myself to hurting.

Jim
Many thanks Jim! The recipe calls for flour dressed pan fried chicken, but we much prefer the smokey tender chicken!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky