A little more help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotty

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Lecanto Florida
When I get back from NY and Philly trip Im dying to get to smoking. I intend to get a 10 pound or so brisket and cut it in half so i can smoke the thick half and make a corned beef out of the other half.
Im reading DJs website for instructions.

Part of the pastrami instruction deal with corned beef

it says that in brining the brisket for about 7 days the result is corned beef

My question is can i leave the meat in the brine for 2 or 3 weeks.

PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

Scotty I don't know, but corned beef is salty anyway, I would think it would really be so after sitting in brine that long?
icon_eek.gif
Terry

From way back in the dark corners of my mind I recall that the German gentleman that taught us about curing told us that through the process of osmoses, the meat will only take in the amount of salt that it can absorb. Once it reaches its saturation point it won't take on any more salt. I might be wrong but I'm trying to remember something from 30 years ago. Wish I had taken notes.

Any reason for wanting to geo two-three weeks? Just courious-

When I used to make the corned beef in the market I used to dump the beef in brine and leave it there for at least a week sometimes up to 3. The beef can only get as salty as the brine it sits in. It will be grey when you take it out, not the bright red that the package kind look like unless you put nitrates in there (bad for you and only keep the color). FWIW the package kind sits in brine for months.

First of all thanks for the replyys to all.

"Any reason for wanting to go two-three weeks? Just courious-

When i do a sourbratten i often leave it in from one to sometimes over 3 weeks because i just dont feel like making it unless i have guests who appreciate it and the home made spaetzel.

No other reason ecxept i don't want to have to make it on a particular day.

Ill be back in 2 weeks

thanks again all
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky